Look to the Skies

Five.

I woke up before anyone else the next day, and looked out the window. It was just past dawn, and although the sun had risen it had immediately hidden behind the clouds. The rain that had fallen all of yesterday had left the early morning light gray and dewy, and I smiled.

I quickly dressed, pulling on my usual beanie over my messy hair, and my scuffed boots. I tip-toed out of the apartment, closing the wooden door as quietly as possible. When I made it to the lobby, I slipped past the sleeping doorman and out into the morning cold.

In a few hours the crisp, gray morning would be replaced by the burning light of the afternoon, the air growing hot and humid. But for now, I could enjoy it. I retraced my steps from yesterday, making my way back to the record store. The streets were mostly empty, except for the few early risers that were out setting up stands and opening shops.

When I tured a corner and didn't see the record store right away, I thought I had taken a wrong turn, but then saw it further down then I had remembered. The lights inside hadn't been turned on, and I was thankful that she wasn't there yet. There was a small cafe just starting to stir with life across the street from it and I sat down in one of their outside seats, to wait for their doors to open. When they opened for business, I went inside, got a small coffee, and settled into a spot by the front window.

For almost an hour, I watched people come and go from the cafe, while keeping an eye trained across the street. It wasn't until the cafe was packed with people that I saw movement two doors down. Marin was unmistakeable, with her strawberry-blonde hair piled on top of her head. She had on a little dress, with a vest over to the top of it and I wished I could see the print that covered the dress. Somehow I knew it would be something unconventional, like cats or airplanes.

I resisted the urge to run across the street into the record store, and demand that she look at me, notice me. But instead I contented myself with just watching her work. Marin moved with a grace and flow I had never before seen on anybody, her movements fluid and soft. At one point I saw her throw her head back and laugh, and the ache to know what her laugher sounded like hurt so bad it felt like my heart had cracked open. At the same time, I felt a bolt of jealousy that the tattooed guy she worked with heard her, and I didn't.

It wasn't sane, and it definitely wasn't safe, but every fiber of my being wanted her with a violent fierceness. I knew nothing of this girl, other than the fact that she had sunrise hair and skin that looked dewy soft; that her voice was like a rough caress and her violet eyes could stare into my soul.

The coffee that I had gotten so long ago had grown cold, and I sighed. The sun was finally starting to peek out from behind the clouds, and I knew if I lingered any longer it would become dangerous for me. I left the cafe, and despite my better judgement jogged across the street. With one quick step, I walked by the store front and glanced inside. The smile that spread across my face was wide and ridiculous, I knew.

Her dress had teddy bears on it.

I kept walking, promising to be back again.
♠ ♠ ♠
I work a lot. That's my only excuse. I wrote this super quick in between jobs, that's why it's so short. I promise my next one will be nice and long!

Comment, subscribe, tell yo friends.
-Beki