Inches From Death

Inches From Death is set more than 50 years into the future; America lost much of its charm, and is a darker place. In 2039, a man named Perry Caldwell invented a device called the Head-Log that wires with peoples' nervous systems to let us know what other people are doing through their thoughts with this device. It was supposed to help connect people better. Caldwell earned much fame and many awards through his new product, which hundreds of millions of people chose to use. Yet short after the invention is released, Caldwell goes mad and blows up all of Washington, D.C. He takes control of America in 2051 and turns it into a totalitarian regime. He argues that with more police monitoring, the country will be free of crime. Yet when the police themselves are corrupt, it defeats the purpose. All theology is banned, for Caldwell believes that's what corrupts people most. Anyone who expresses any sort of theology is sent away.

Twenty-three-year-old Levi Forester totally opposes this. He does a lot of underground research on politics, regimes, etc. so that someday he can return democracy to the U.S. However, one day, he is harassed by a group of "Watch Dogs" (Caldwell's men) as he's walking his sister, Maple Forester, to his apartment home from school. Levi won't take any of this. He threatens to shoot them, and eventually does, but his sister, Maple, is killed in the cross fire.

Levi really stresses over this, and his life starts to go down. He begins to date a woman named Reena, an ex-girlfriend he's willing to hook up with again who is into dark things such as blood, masochism and drugs, but he wants to get rid of his pain. He thinks drugs and sex with her might ease that. He also considers killing himself, multiple times.

Yet on his trip to the cemetery seven months after his sisters' death convinces him to live despite the loss of his last living family member and the brutality of totalitarian America. He realizes his life is worth fighting for and that there is a God watching over him. All because of a girl named Myra.