Sequel: Tears on the Runway
Status: Active. Comment for quicker updates!!

Messy Ending

"I Can't Sleep Without You Here." -Dai

“You’re leaving today?” Caitlin queried, a pout on her lips. Atalie was in her arms while Jax was in her husband’s arms. They had come over to Grandma and Grandpa’s house just to see Ben and I. After last night, Caitlin was none too pleased with our grandmother.

“Yes, I’m afraid so, Cait,” I told her, reaching my arms out to take my niece in them. “Hey, Atti,” I said to the girl once she was placed in my hold. I stroked her thin blonde hair softly with my fingers.

“Dai,” she said like she had no idea what she had just said, a bright smile lighting up her tiny features and her thumb stuck in her mouth. Her smile was contagious and I found myself smiling back at the girl.

A small laugh came out of my lips and as I looked up I saw Ben descending the stairs. He told me that he wanted to take a shower before we left and he certainly looked like he just came out of the shower. His normally unruly hair dripped wet with water, soaking his bare shoulders and the black tank top he’d chosen for the day. “Hey, Babe, I greeted, looking away from him and bouncing the small girl in my arms.

“Hello,” he replied and even if I didn’t look up I could tell through his English accent that he was smiling at me.

“Before you guys leave let us take you out to breakfast,” Travis offered, adjusting his son on his hip

“What do you think, Ben?” I asked moving toward him with my niece still clinging to me. She had taken to embracing her tiny arms tightly around my neck.

“Sounds great,” he answered.

“Alright. Meet us at IHop?” my sister question pulling her purse onto her shoulder and grabbing her daughter from me.

“Okay.” I looked up at my boyfriend with big eyes as they exited the house. “Would you please grab the bag from the guest room for me?”

“Sure, love,” he complied almost immediately only taking one look at my big, pleading eyes.

“Thank you, Babe,” I answered with a sweet smile. “Love you!” I called up the stairs as he reached the top. I heard a muffled reply and began to smile slightly, wondering how I was so lucky to be with a guy like him. The smile quickly faded when I saw my grandma come into the kitchen and stood near the counter I stood by.

For a while she ignored me. I supposed that last night my little outburst didn’t settle well with her, but in my opinion she deserved every word I said to her. If she wasn’t going to speak to me then I would follow suit.

“Dai?” That was a shock. My family didn’t call me by my nickname… other than Caitlin and her tiny growing family. They preferred my full name whereas I preferred the shortened form.
One of my eyebrows arched as I turned to face her. “Yes?”

“I’m not sorry for what I said.” Nice way to start off the conversation, Grandma, I thought before she continued. “And I can’t understand why he makes you happy, but all that really matters is that you are happy. I won’t pretend to like Ben, but as long as you two are involved I will tolerate him.”

I knew that this was the best I would ever get from my grandmother so without pushing it I reluctantly accepted the apology that really wasn’t all that much of an apology at all. “Thanks, I guess?”

Ben glided down the stairs at that moment. “Ready to go, love?” he questioned.

I nodded, the smile suddenly returning to my face as I took his hand in mine. “Bye, Grandma,” I said, awkwardly, unsure what to say.

The old woman took me by surprised and hugged me quickly, my hand never leaving Ben’s. “I’ll see you later, Dai,” she said.

I nodded in response and left with Ben.

Once we were both finally in the car and on our way toward the IHop we passed last night I spoke. “How much of that did you hear?” I rotated in my seat to look at him, but his eyes didn’t stray from the road.

“Pretty much all of it.” His hands gripped the wheel stiffly. “I stood at the top of the stairs and listened.” Then his eyes left the road for a brief second to give me the full force of his signature smirk and added, “I didn’t want to interrupt you two.”

“Eavesdropping is wrong, you know?” I teased, a hint of laughter subtle in my voice. I turned to face completely forward to look at the gloomy weather on the other side of the windshield.

He grinned and removed one hand from the wheel to lock it with mine. “That’s the best I’m going to get from your grandmother, isn’t it?”

“Yes, I would say so,” I answered chancing a look at his face, my smile teasing.

“I’ll take what I can get,” he muttered, no real sign of emotion as he pulled into the IHop parking lot.

I hopped out into the chilly air and waited for him to join me in front of the car before I went inside the restaurant. Almost immediately I spotted my sister and her family in a tiny booth near the back. “Hey, you guys,” I greeted, sliding into the booth before Ben so I could sit next to the window. Jax and Atalie sat in provided high chairs, leaving more room for us. “Sorry we took so long. I had a little run in with Grandma.”

“Really?” Caitlin queried, her interest now piqued. “What did she say?”

“Nothing important.” I shrugged indifferently. “It was the best that we’re going to get from her, though it wasn’t really an apology at all,” I continued, picking up the menu that lay in front of me to inspect it.

We spent a few minutes in silence to inspect the menus until the waitress appeared to take our order. Unless my eyes were mistaking me, her eyes would not leave my boyfriend even as she took everyone else’s order at the table. The girl made me feel insecure, especially with her eyes on my boyfriend like that. She had long dirty blond hair that reached near to her waist even in a ponytail and the oceanic blue eyes that matched both the hair and her tan complexion. I can’t forget the body either; she was as thin as a toothpick. I was nothing in comparison.

After the girl, thankfully, left Travis spoke up in effort to dissipate the awkward moment that I’m sure everyone felt. “So, Ben, you mentioned a band last night. Do you have any plans? Any upcoming tours?”

“No. No, tours yet. In a couple weeks we go into the studio to record our new record, though.”

Immediately I turned to look up at him, my eyebrows furrowed. “You didn’t tell me about that, Ben,” I mumbled. I wasn’t stupid, I knew that not long after they finished recording the album there would be tours for them left and right. I gotten used to Ben always being so close to me that I didn’t know if I could handle not seeing him for months on end.

“Last week we scheduled recording time,” he explained softly. I could tell he knew what I feared about this new album and what it would mean after it was complete.

All I could think to do was nod in understanding, though I’m not quite sure I seemed happy after the realization that had just come to me.

The same waitress returned then, a waiter following close behind her to help carry our food. They distributed the food to all of us and left.

We dug in, the conversation of albums and tours long forgotten.

~~~

“I’ll miss you so much, Dai!” Caitlin exclaimed, her arms wrapped around me in an embrace so tight it almost cut off my air supply.

“I’ll miss you too, Cait, but I still need to breathe,” I gasped, trying to push away from the hug.

“Right,” she giggled and released me.

“I’ll definitely call more often,” I promised. “I hate being out of the loop of your life, especially with these little ones.” I kneeled down to embrace both my niece and nephew. “Don’t you guys forget me, okay?”

They nodded, though I’m not sure they fully understood what I said to them.

I began to climb into the passenger seat of Ben’s car. “Bye, Trav!” I called before shutting my door.

“You gonna sleep again?” Ben queried, pulling the seat belt over his chest to buckle it.

“I might, but then again I’m not too tired, because it’s not five in the morning,” I returned, playfully, as I buckled my seat belt.

“In the end it made you happy,” he pointed out, twisting the key in the ignition to start the car. “In more than one way,” he added, a suggestive lilt on the end of his words.

“Ben!” I squeaked, hitting him in the arm. “Don’t say stuff like that!” I warned.

He shrugged it off with a laugh as he pulled out of the parking lot. “You can’t dispute the fact can you?” he questioned, eyebrows raised in a suggestive manner.

“Ben!” I laughed, covering my quickly reddening face with my hands. “Stop it!” I still couldn’t quiet the laughter that came from my mouth.

“You’re so cute.” Ben informed me, which in turn caused my flesh to warm up and turn an even darker red.

I barely peeked up through my hands to look at my boyfriend, revealing my tomato red face.

“Am I making you blush?!” he teased, a giant grin on his face.

“No!” I denied, hiding my face again.

Ben quirked his lips into a small smirk and reached over to tug on a lock of my hair, playfully.

~~~

The ride home somehow seemed considerably longer than the ride there. That was probably due to the fact that I didn’t sleep at all on the trip back. Ben and I mostly just teased each other all the way home.

It was around three in the afternoon before Ben pulled into the parking lot of my apartment complex. I was too comfortable next to Ben in the car that I almost didn’t want to get out. Somewhere in the middle of the ride I found myself relaxed in the seat, my feet resting on his dashboard. Our hands twined together over the console as the radio played softly in the background. This moment was just perfect.

Eventually, when he park directly in front of the tall, skinny building, I was forced to get out of the car. ”Are you coming?” I asked when he didn’t make a move to exit the car or even turn it off.

“Actually I need to run a few errands. I am literally bereft of any food in my house, which I’m sure you know.” He paused to shoot me a knowing smile. “I’ll come back later if you’d like?”

“No, you don’t have to,” I assured him, lowering myself back into the car to peck his lips with mine. “See you tomorrow, babe.” I smiled at him as I shut the door and began the walk up the side walk to my apartment.

“Hey, Dai!” I heard from the entrance as I smashed the button for the elevator down. Parker was running toward me, skateboard under one arm and his hair tousled from the wind.

“Hey, Parker… Isn’t it a bit too cold to be skating?” I gestured at his skateboard, eyebrow arched.

“Nah.” He laughed as the elevator doors pushed apart. “Did you have fun with your family?”

I shrugged my shoulders and stepped into the elevator. “Somewhat.”

“Ben took you didn’t he?” he asked, an excited sparkle in his eyes and then he sighed wistfully. “You’re so lucky to be such good friends with them… especially Ben.” There was a suggestive lilt twisting the ends of his words.

“Park!” I burst into laughter as I pushed the button for our floor.

He grinned at me, but didn’t say another word. Not until the elevator opened onto our floor. “Bye, Dai!” he called, racing down the hall to reach his door before I came to mine.

I shook my head as I did reach my door and pulled my keys from my pockets. I’d barely opened the door an inch before Sammi tackled me in a huge hug. “Dai!”

“Hey, Sam,” I replied, pulling her weight along with mine through the door. “Oh, hey, Danny.” I smiled at my best friends boyfriend, who had become more like an older brother to me from the time I’ve known him, and plopped down on the couch.

“Hey, Dai. Where’s Ben?” he questioned as Sammi took her place beside him, though she sat so close she was almost on his lap.

“He told me he had some errands to run, I replied, stretching my muscles out.

“So, how’d it go?” Sammi asked.

“Not as well as I would have hoped.” I laughed, tiredly. “Grandpa and Grandma absolutely hated him. On the other hand Caitlin and Travis absolutely loved him.”

“They hated him?” she queried, somewhat shocked.

“Yeah. You know how they are. Once they saw him they hated him. At dinner Grandma ranted about how he wasn’t good enough for me.” I sighed. “So I told her off and walked out of the restaurant. Cait drove us back to the house.” I kept the gory, yet amazing details of the night to myself.

Danny couldn't help the laugh that he emitted.

“It’s not funny, Danny!” I told him, but even I couldn’t hold back my giggles.

“Even you think it’s at least a little funny.” He winked.

“Shut up, Daniel.” I poked my tongue out at him and rose to my feet. “I’m gonna take a bath. Maybe after we can head down to the diner for something to eat?”

“Sure, Dai, sounds great,” Sammi replied, all her attention on her boyfriend now.

I rolled my eyes at the affectionate couple and wondered if this was what Ben and I looked like to other people as I headed in the direction the bathroom was.

Submerging myself in the hot water was comforting, almost like a giant blanket covering my skin.

I allowed myself to soak in the bath for near to an hour, my fingers perfectly pruned when I stepped out of the tub. I watched the water exit the tub, tumbling down the drain in a whirlpool. After that much needed bath I felt a relaxation wash over me. Baths always did that for me.

I snuck around the living room so that nobody would see my towel covered body. When I was safe in my room I dressed myself in a pair of dark washed skinny jeans and a shirt Ben left here the last time he’d spent the night in my room.

I slipped on my white TOMS along with the jacket Ben had given before I entered my living room. I was surprised to also see James, Cam, and Sam sitting on the furniture. “Oh, hey, you guys.” I smiled, beginning to tie my hair up in a ponytail.

“Hey, Dai,” James greeted. “Danny and girl Sam invited us o the diner with you guys. Ben said he was busy, but to tell you that he loved you and would see you later.” He returned my smile.

“I’m not sure I much like being referred to as girl Sam,” Sammi grumbled, folding her arms across her chest.

James rolled his eyes at her. “Fine. Sammi.” There was an extra emphasis added to her name.

“Can we just go? I’m kind of starving,” I requested, shoving my wallet in my pocket. I hardly ever carried purses. They were just a hassle. I tried to fit everything I needed into my pockets.

“That’s a great idea,” Cam agreed, patting his empty, grumbling stomach for good measure.

We ended up having to take two cars with the number of people we had. Danny, Sammi, and I rode in Danny’s car and the tag-along boys rode in Cam’s car.

~~~

Steph wasn’t all too surprised to see us when we arrived at the diner. “Hey, guys.” She smiled, rounding the counter. “Dai! How was your visit to see your family?” she asked when she notice me in the group.

“It was alright. Do I work a shift tomorrow?” I asked, plopping onto a stool in front of the counter.

“Yep. I’ve missed you around here.” She gave me a small smile. “So, can I get you guys anything?” she changed the subject, returning to her comfort zone behind the counter.

We each gave her an order, which she delivered to Brandon, the chef. He never came out of the kitchen so I didn’t really know him or speak to him unless I was giving him an order. I took a quick look around the nearly vacant diner. “Pretty dead tonight, Steph,” I commented.

“Yeah, it’s been that way for most of the day,” she replied. “Marilyn went home early since there wasn’t really the need for both of us today.”

While we waited for our food I heard the hum of conversation around me. I didn’t join into it, though. “Hey, Dai,” I heard Sam say as he took a seat in the stool next to me.

“Hey, Sam.” I turned to look at him. “What’s up?”

“You seemed kind of lonesome over here all by yourself,” he stated, propping his hand on his hands to look over at me.

A smile crept to my face. “Don’t feel like being social tonight is all,” I told him. “You’re kind of the out member of the group, aren’t you?” I found myself asking next without much thought to it.

“What do you mean?” he queried, head tilted to the side and brow furrowed in confusion.

“Everyone is in their own conversations and you’re over here talking to me.”

“Eh. You’re pretty cool, Dai.” He ended with a chuckled and then took a slight pause. “You and Ben are getting pretty serious aren’t you? I mean he’s saying he loves you and shit and from the way you are with him I can tell you feel the same way.”

For a moment I was unsure of what to say. After some thought I finally said, “Yeah… I guess you could say that.”

“I just want you to know,” Sam began after several seconds of being silence. “That you and Sammi are not just Ben and Danny’s girlfriends to us. We love you guys. You’re like family! If Ben breaks your heart or if Danny breaks Sammi’s heart you better believe that we will break them.”

“Thanks, Sam,” I giggled, hugging him quickly.

~~~

It must have been ten when we finally got home. After we had eaten, even after the diner was closed, Steph let us all hang out there. The boys drank while Sammi and I stayed sober enough to drive them home. We drove Sam, James, and Cam home, but Sammi brought Danny back to our place.

I tried to fall asleep. I really did. I thought I was exhausted. The clock told me it was midnight when I snatched my phone off my nightstand and dialed a number that I memorized by heart.

“Dai?” a sleepy voice came over the line.

“Sorry, Babe. Did I wake you?” I question, feeling guilty that I was calling so late.

“No, no. Of course not. What’s wrong, Sweetheart?”

I hesitated, slightly embarrassed by the next words I had called to say. “I… uh… I can’t sleep without you here. Trust me I’ve tried.” I let an awkward chuckle slip out.

“You can’t sleep without me there?” I could almost hear that charming smirk of his that must be on his face at that moment. “Would you like me to come over?”

“Would you, Ben? I mean I don’t want to bother you…”

“I wouldn’t mind at all, Dai. I’ll be over in about ten minutes, he replied and the line went dead.

Exactly ten minutes after our phone call Ben showed up in my room like he said he would. He didn’t bother knocking on either door, knowing I would be fine if he let himself in. “Dai.” He smiled and set his keys down on my nightstand.

“Ben.” I returned the smile an pulled him onto the bed by his arm.

“Is that my shirt?” He chuckled, sliding his fingers under the fabric and up my stomach.

“Yes,” I admitted. “You left it here… It makes me feel safe and happy.” My face was turning a cherry red, I could feel it heating up with the blood that was rushing to it in embarrassment.

His arms snaked around my waist to pull my body against his. On my queen sized bed there was more than enough room for us to lay comfortably like that. “Is my presence really gonna help you sleep or was that an excuse to get me here?” he whispered, with a small chuckle, in my ear.

“I really couldn’t sleep, Ben. My bed was too big and lonely to be in it alone.” I took on an innocent tone that I knew he was a sucker for. “I haven’t had to sleep alone in weeks and now that I have to it’s not as comfortable as your arms.” I turned from the spooning position we took to face him fully.

“You know my bed is pretty cold and lonely without your beautiful presence too,” he admitted, brushing a stray lock of hair from my face with his fingers. “I’ve grown used to you being in my arms at night.” He ended the sentence as he leaned down to press a kiss to my forehead.

When he moved away I leaned up to gently touch my lips to his. As I went to pull away he pressed harder, using my waist to pull my body as close as it could possibly get to him. “I’m not having sex with you," I warned him against his lips. “Our best friends are in the next room. I’ll not subject them to that.” I giggled, resting my arms over his shoulders.

He leaned down to place a kiss on the tender skin of my neck. “Wasn’t the entire purpose of me being here so that you’d ge to sleep?” he pointed about. I felt him smile against my flesh.

“Touché.” I giggled again.

“C’mon, baby girl. You should get to sleep now. I know you’re tired,” he instructed, pressing a goodnight kiss to my lips.

“Fine.” I sighed playfully, giving him a knowing look. “I love you, Ben.”

“I love you too, Dai,” he whispered, laying down with me. “I love you too.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it took a while, but to make up for that it's extra long! :D

Thanks tooooo....
SynysterxSavannah
moria
ForeverRocking660

Tell me what you think of it! :)