Status: A one-shot short story

Never Fade Away

Never Fade Away... Never Disappear

It was cool outside, and I shivered as the autumn leaves fell to the ground. The moon was covered up by the clouds, but the pale light reflected off the lake as I was walking by. Only a couple stars out in the sky-- night is just falling.

I go to my comfort zone, my safe haven: an oak tree next to the lake. It's a very tall tree, but I only ever climb halfway up. It's very beautiful, but my fear of heights always gets to me before I finish the climb.

I look out to the tree, and decide it's too cool for me to try to climb it tonight. I'd much rather stay on the ground and curl up with a blanket and a book. Maybe if I wait long enough, someone will show up....

I open up the book, and the worn and yellowed pages fall out onto my lap. I giggle; I've really read through this book too much, but I love it every time. I shiver once more as I take my blanket and drape it across my shoulders.

I get around 10 pages in, and that's when I see it. A pale figure, almost transparent, appears on the other side of my lake. My curiosity gets the best of me, so I lay my book down on the tree roots. It stares at me for a moment as though looking through me. Sort of like I'm looking through it. It glides gracefully towards me, not at all terrified at my prescence. I guess I can't say that about myself.

He smiles at me, and neither of us speak. Joy and love fills the air, and our eyes tell the full story without any words needing to be spoken. He grabs my hand and we begin to dance. I don't know what we're dancing to, as there is no music. Only the sound of the pale autumn leaves crushing underneath us.

We smile into each other's eyes, and we dance a few more minutes. I begin to cry, and plead, "please don't go". We both know that he can't stay here any longer, but neither of us wants to believe. One more sad smile, and off he fades away. Never speaking a word. Never saying goodbye, only a soft, sad smile.

I don't cry anymore. My love has passed. He's far away now, somewhere where he no longer has to suffer. I've seen him this final time, and I feel as though something has been said that lifted a heavy weight off of my chest, when nothing was said at all. I don't miss him anymore because I know he's better off now. I don't think I shall ever move on. But I'm glad I gave him my final goodbye.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you guys enjoy this short little piece, and maybe I'll expand it onto something bigger...? Haha, I guess we'll just have to see. Send me feedback so I know what to do when I add onto it(: