Status: Active

Lips of an Angel

Chapter Four

“Morning Natalie!” Jimmy called out to me as I walked through the door of the recording studio, my only response was to flip him off.

We’d been working twelve hours a day for the past two weeks trying to get this record finished and by this point we were all so completely exhausted. It didn’t help that it was only seven am and usually, by my book, I should have another three hours, at the least, to sleep.

“Well, what’s going on today then?” I asked Larry who was sitting in front of the computer next to Brian.
“Just putting some finishing touches to the records. Oh, at midday, you and Zacky are going to go pick up the new auto-tuner from ups. We missed the delivery.”

He handed me a sheet of paper telling us what we’d missed. The only thing is… How had we missed it?

“How the hell did we miss a delivery? We’ve been here from seven ‘til seven every day for the past two weeks. How is it humanly possible for us to have missed it?” I yelled, making Brian jump and mess up.
“Fuck! Natalie!” He screamed right back.
“Sorry Brian.”

I patted his head while he glared at me as I walked back towards the couch and sat down, going through some secretarial jobs.

“Well then Zacky, looks like you get to take a trip in Impala with me.” I told him as I started up my laptop.
“The what?”

He frowned at me before taking a drink form his coffee and checking his phone.

“You still have the Impala?”

Matt’s head popped out from around a corner, making me jump and smile a little.

“Of course I do, haven’t you seen it yet?”

He shook his head.

“So, you know what question I have to ask you now right?”
“Ugh! Fine, go ahead, ask away.” I laughed.
“Has it been christened yet?”
“Yes, yes it has.” I told him, raising one eyebrow.

His jaw dropped and a certain something flashed in his eyes. It was the same something that I’d noticed when we were talking about junior prom a few weeks ago. I recognized it now though. It was the same expression he wore when I talked about Carter for the first time. It was jealousy, yet it was different. It wasn’t the same as before, back when we were in high school and he saw some guy with a girl that he wanted, it was a more determined, more intimidating, updated version.

“What are you two talking about?” A voice rang out through the now silent studio

I froze. I knew exactly who that voice belonged to and I was suddenly regretting my little read-in into Matt’s expression. Valary was back. He said he’d dumped her but I guess that we just weren’t paying close enough attention to help him ignore her lies and deceiving looks. She was back and chances are that she was staying for a long time at the very least. Well, it was like she’s always said. Third time’s the charm. First time was their high school relationship that lasted a month. Second time ended the day before I joined them and now, we were at round three. This could possibly be the worst yet.
♠ ♠ ♠
Listening to: Ben Threw - Of Mice & Men