‹ Prequel: Her Eternal Soul
Sequel: Pandemonium

Beasts

The Fatal Believer

-Ai-


“Who do we have here?” A smooth voice slurs behind me. My body goes rigid, glass nearly slipping out of my hand. “Why so shy? Turn around sweetheart.” He coos, his words like venom in my ears. My body follows his orders of its own accord.

A tall man with medium length dark hair and broad shoulders stands in front of me. His narrow, black eyes gleam with malice. A chill runs down my spine and my fingers quiver. Instantly, I know he is trouble. His lips turn into a smirk, revealing the rows of sharp, narrow teeth. They were putrid and rotting, caked in an oozing black substance. The smell made me gag. A narrow, reptilian tongue quickly darts out between his disgusting fangs, running across his lips.

“You look delicious.” He purrs, taking a few steps closer. The smell was like rotten meat. I felt my stomach clench, fighting to rid itself of its contents. He moves closer, twisted fingers inching across my torso to trace the curves of my body. A nervous sweat dripped down my back, clinging to my shirt.

I felt sharp nails scratching against my clothing, tearing holes in the material. I couldn’t even open my mouth to protest. The glass slips out of my grasp and falls to the floor with a loud crash as his fingers stop at my throat, wrapping around it. Breathing becomes difficult, if not impossible. He holds his thumb on my jugular, pressing tightly with a sharp nail. It felt like a claw. His thin lips form a smirk, eyes watching me amused. He lets it pierce my skin, blood oozing to the surface. I can’t even let out a whimper. His head lulls back and eyes close as he lets out a deep guttural noise, inhaling the scent of fresh blood.

I can’t call out for help; I can only stand there wide eyed and speechless. Tears break free, dripping down my cheeks and on to the floor. Why didn’t I listen to Die? I’m going to die here. Blood trickles down my throat, across my collar bone and between my breasts. My vision narrows as tunnels begin to form. I could feel a numbness spreading from my fingers and toes, to my arms, legs, and torso. My knees quivered. Static noise filled my ears, and my attention was no longer on the man in front of me. My eyes bounced around the room. Something moved in my peripheral vision, large and low to the ground.

“Kaoru!” A heavy voice barks, filling the room. It was Kyo’s voice, but at the same time, it wasn’t. It was full of unnatural pitches, inhuman. His very words carried a weight to them, making the very air press down on my body. They also caused the man’s grip to loosen and a glimmer of fear to flash in his eyes. “Take you filthy hands off her!!!” Kyo snarls, crawling in to view.

His body is low to the ground, twisted and hunched on all fours. Dark heavy smog surrounds him, and shapes that resemble pained faces swim in it. His limbs stuck out at odd angles, warped to resemble something more like an animal. His eyes gleam crimson with malice, blood oozing from them. His skin was pulled taught, bone poking out beneath it to cast dark shadows. A mouth full of short, sharp teeth snaps and salivates, ready to kill. The marks on his body spin and swirl mixing together, sinister and ominous.

This wasn’t Kyo. This was something else. I wasn’t sure who to be more scared of. He launches himself at the man, pushing me aside and instantly going for the man’s throat. They fall to the floor with a thud, Kyo pinning him down. Already, I could feel the hold on my body lift. I quickly fall backwards onto the floor, my eyes on the scene in front of me.

“I should kill you now.” Kyo growls, his voice hitting unnatural octaves. His face inches closer to the other man’s, spitting and snapping. I’d never seen his eyes full of this much hate. He keeps the man’s arms pinned to the floor, squeezing tight enough to leave dark bruises and cut off circulation. The man stares back in fear, his eyes wide and quivering.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean anything by it.” He stutters cringing. Kyo snaps, throwing the man down again. I can hear him exhale sharply.

“Don’t you ever touch her again…Don’t look at her. Don’t talk to her. Don’t even think about her!” He spits, glaring menacingly and reading the other man’s eyes. He releases his grip with one last huff before the man quickly nods and scurries away, disappearing down the hallway.

I stare wide eyed, shaky arms barely holding my body up. Kyo turns his back to me, hunched over as the smog surrounding him evaporates and his tattoos become motionless. With violent snaps, cracks, and tears, his body slowly takes human shape again. The sound makes me shudder, my eyes quickly averting.

Kyo turns his attention to me, eyes still crimson. He slowly stands, coming toward me, sadness in his features. Tears still stream down my face and I feel my arms give out, my body falling backwards. Kyo quickly catches me, wrapping his arms around my shaking body. He holds me tightly, our bodies curled together on the floor, before I feel myself losing consciousness.

“I’m sorry Ai.” He chokes.

XOXOXOX


I woke to find myself in a strange bed, again.

“How many times is this going to happen?” I grumble sitting up. My hand goes to my bandaged neck as I recall what happened last night. Visions of sharp teeth, pools of blood, and ripping skin quickly flash in my mind. His voice still echoes in my ears, chilling me to the bone. My skin is still tender where he cut me. It wasn’t a nightmare, it really happened.

Someone exhales beside me, interrupting my thoughts, and I look to find that it is Kyo. He sleeps soundly, his bare torso rising and falling. He looks so different from last night. He is truly a demon. Images of his twisted, angry body play out before me. I was terrified of him as well. Who was I to say that he wouldn’t turn on me next? But Kyo is a good man; after all, he rescued me.

I study his sleeping form. His tiny face looks so content in sleep, unlike his usual appearance. His toned chest rises and falls quickly, and the tattoos on his body twitch and twirl slightly. They appeared to be amused, as if playing out his dream. I couldn’t help but smile. I wondered about the man in front of me. No, he wasn’t a man. No one here was merely a man. But human or not, I owed my life to Kyo.

“Thank you.” I whispered, laying back down in the pillows.

“You’re welcome.” He smirks, making me blush as I realize he was most likely awake the whole time. I furrow my brows, then shake it off with a grin.

“I kinda like waking up beside you. You don’t snore.” I mutter, hiding my red face in his pillows. He smiles chuckling. His laughter is like music.

“You, on the other hand, snore like a banshee.” He teases. “And I’ve known a few of them.” He only laughs harder as I smack his arm.

“So there really are banshees?” I question, believing him after last night’s encounter. He nods, looking me in the eyes. “What else is out there?”

“Everything in story books.” He responds with a shrug.

“What are you? All of you?” I question.

“We are the damned.” The red in his eyes shines, but it does not frighten me.

“What do you mean by the damned?” I question. He pauses, furrowing his brows in thought.

“I’ve never really had to define it before…We are all dangerous creatures, doomed to live an eternity of suffering.” He shrugs, gauging my reaction. I stare wide eyed. So, they aren’t human. They are all dangerous. They probably prey on human life; or blood anyway. Isn’t that what most demons live off of? My eyes twitch in uncertainty, and Kyo seems to notice. “That being said, neither Die nor I want to hurt you.” He assures, “Die brought you here out of his own selfish desire for company.” He huffs, “The others however…”

“I get the picture.” I exhale, biting my thumb; a nervous habit. “Are there more here?”

“No. Unfortunately you’ve met Shinya and Kaoru, but that is it for us here.” He grumbles.

“You aren’t all the same. You don’t have wings like Die, and he doesn’t have red eyes like you.” Kyo smiles at this.

“No, we certainly are not the same.”

“Then what are you? If it isn’t too personal.”

“Too personal is your drool all over my pillows.” He teases as I narrow my eyes. I don’t drool that much. “I’m a demon Ai. I was born into this hell. I’ve lived thousands of years, many of those years spent doing things I am not proud of.” He answers seriously. “Die isn’t like me, because he isn’t a demon. Die is a fallen angel. He chose this life. He decided to abandon the life he was leading…for this.” Kyo almost growls.

“You don’t want to be a demon.” I mutter in understanding. It wasn’t a question. I felt a connection with Kyo, as if we shared bits of each other’s minds. The look on his face and the tone in his voice, I just knew he was miserable. He nods, running his hands through his thick blonde hair. Again, I see his dark tattoos twist in agony. I was sure of it this time. Kyo was hurting. Who knows how long he’s been suffering like this. I reach out, unconsciously, to rest my hand on his shoulder, letting my thumb rub his skin tenderly.

“You’re more human than you think.” I smile softly, his eyes meeting mine.

“You really are something Ai.” He whispers, tangling his fingers together with mine. I could feel the pink rising to my cheeks, watching his smoldering, crimson eyes.

“Ai? Ai?! Has anyone seen Ai?!” Die’s voice interrupts, echoing outside the room frantically. His feet sound outside the door, instantly followed by his fists madly beating at the door. “Kyo? Kyo wake up! She’s missing!” He cries anxiously, twisting the knob to throw the door open. I quickly hide myself under the covers, feeling as though I’d done something wrong.

“Calm down. She’s in here.” Kyo sighs, sitting up and rubbing his temples. I peek out from beneath the heavy blankets.

“I was so worried! You weren’t in bed!” Die wails, practically flying to my side, landing on top of me. I felt as if all the air had left my body at once. His bone crushing embrace didn’t help. “And what are you doing sleeping with Kyo? I kidnapped you, so you have to sleep with me!” He protests.

“She met Kaoru last night, because someone shirked from his guard duty.” Kyo replies, his red flecked eyes quickly turning on Die. Die cowers, guilt evident on his face.

“I didn’t think you would wake up, so I left for a bit. You usually sleep throughout the night.” Die mumbles, squeezing his arms tighter around me. I let out a gasp, sitting up and pushing him away.

“I need to breathe!” I cry out, but it goes unnoticed.

“He hurt you…” Die blubbers, taking note of the bandage on my neck. His fingers quickly move to cradle the injury.

“It’s just a scratch.” I huff, trying to ease his worry. “I should have listened to you. It’s my fault.” I frown, punishing myself for my stupidity. “Luckily, Kyo showed up to save me.” I offer with a grin.

“He didn’t hurt you too, did he?” Die whispers, eyes quickly bouncing to Kyo who wanders throughout the room.

“I’m not deaf you know.” Kyo mutters rolling his eyes.

“No, Kyo didn’t hurt me. I was…grateful to see him.” I smile, recalling how terrified I’d been in the situation.

“She saw me.” Kyo grunts, clenching his teeth. “The real me.”

“…He’s really ugly, isn’t he?” Die teases. Kyo flashes bright red eyes and a snarl at the man.

“At least he doesn’t molt.” I smirk, making Die’s jaw drop. Kyo only chuckles behind me. It’s the least I can do to show my gratitude.

Image
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey all, xoxdiebearxox here! Check out my blog for Beasts! I could really use some help! Let me know what you think:


1. How is the story line: Anything confusing you?
2. What are your thoughts on Kixx and Toshiya: Should he turn her?
3. Who should Ai end up with: Die or Kyo?
4. Thoughts on a sequel: Yes, no?

Leave me a comment detailing your thoughts! Thank you!

Beasts Blog-I need help!

xoxdiebearxox