Cheveyo

Chapter 6

When I pulled up at home my dad's car was in the driveway once again but this time there was another car beside his. I grabbed my painting and got out. I let myself in the house and smelled the air. I've made that a daily routine since the first time I smelled it.

Cheveyo, as strong as ever, lingered in the house. I smiled feeling a lot less down. It's so comforting to come home and smell him. When you're home alone all the time, you need something to keep you feeling safe and now I feel safe when I'm home.

I heard my dad talking quietly with someone in the living room. I headed upstairs as quietly as possible. I don't want to walk in on him banging that tramp again. That is not something I want to deal with now. I tripped over something on the stairs and stumbled. I cursed to myself when I heard him stop talking.

"Shawn?" My dad called. "Is that you?" Crap! I thought as I turned around and dragged myself back down the steps. If I don'tanswer, he'll just come looking and I'll have to talk to him eventually. The last time he was here I tried to stay as far away from him as possible.

"Yea," I said gloomily. "Its me." I walked into the room with an expressionless face. I looked up and saw my dad sitting with Karen. That's her name. Karen Hill, come to find out, she's my dad's assistant. How cliché is that? The business man having sex with the busty assistant. She smiled at me, I grimaced at her, wiping the smile clean off her face.

"What is that you're holding?" She asked after a moment. I still had the large painting of Cheveyo and I in my hands. I tried to hide it behind my back.

"Mind your business." I mumbled. I'm not going to pretend to like her because quite frankly, I hate her. I don't know a thing about her but that doesn't make me hate her any less. I hate her because she's with my father, I hate her because he pays more attention to her than he ever has to me. I hate her because she's here and my mother isn't.

"Be nice Shawnee." My father warned. I rolled my eyes at him and held out the painting. The two of them got up and walked over to me, hand in hand. If this picture didn't mean so much to me, I would throw it at them. My dad took the painting from my hands and stared down at it.

"Why does the girl resemble you?" Karen asked hesitantly. Sara is the only person who knew for sure who the person is. None of my other friends suspected anything, then comes little miss prissy getting things right.

"What makes you think that's me?" I snapped rudely. She flinched back a little and shrugged.

"You have the same body and you just look similar." She said after a moment. She wouldn't look at me and I'm thankful for it. Every time she looked me in the eye I gave her 'The Glare of Death.'

"Do you have a boyfriend?!" My father roared sounding angry. I laughed at him sarcastically.

"Yea dad, I'm really dating a guy with arrows hanging out of his chest." I am. "Even if I did you wouldn't know," I said. "You're too busy with that." I gestured towards Karen. She gasped and covered her mouth. "When is the last time you actually did something with me?

When is the last time we had our father-daughter day? When is the you were actually a father?" He stood there looking at me hurt but I don't care. "Oh I forgot, when mom died, you officially didn't have a daughter anymore." He didn't say anything for a few minutes he just stood there looking at me. His face is expressionless and it looks like my words had no effect on him.

"I'm sorry," He whispered. "I know I had other responsibilities and you were my biggest one. I don't know how to handle being a single father. When your mother died, I didn't think I would ever love anyone again. Then I met Karen," He said looking at her lovingly. It honestly made me want to gag. "I love her Shawnee. I called you in here to tell you-" He paused.

"Tell me what dad?" I asked gruffly. "Go ahead, ruin my life even more!" I threw my arms in the air as I talked.

"Karen and I are getting married." He said. A smile broke across his face and he looked happier than he ever did with mom. He's acting like he never loved my mom, like they were never married. He acts like she didn't give him the last eighteen years of her life!

I didn't even react to what he said but I felt hot tears running down my face. I turned and walked back towards the stairs. "Shawnee," Brian called. He's not my father anymore, hell he never really was. "We need to talk about this!" I just kept walking. I went into my room and closed my door. I slid down the door and took a deep breath. The only thing that is keeping me sane isCheveyo's smell.

"Cheveyo, I need you." I whispered aloud. "Please, you're the only thing I have left." I closed my eyes and put my head between my knee's and cried harder. I would do anything to just know that he hears me. Everything in my life is going to hell. My mothers dead, I was nearly raped, my father is getting re-married, all of my friends are in happy relationships while I sit and wait for him. I felt a cool draft pass across my arms.

I looked around not knowing where the breeze came from. There are no windows or anything open and the house is pretty warm. I felt it again but this time it spread from the back of my neck to my face. It felt like hands were caressing me, soothingly. I stopped crying and took a deep breath. I closed my eyes again, enjoying the feeling. It feels like his hands, only lighter. I feel the tingle but it is so weak it's hardly noticeable.

"I know you're here." I whispered. "I can feel you." It feels as if I am cradled in his arms and he is comforting me. I know he's not here but his spirit is.

'V v.' (Yes) I heard his voice say. It sounds just as beautiful as it does in my dreams but I wasn't expecting to hear him speak. I gasped and open my eyes slowly. I am almost afraid that he will be standing in front of me. I peeked through the cracks of my eyes and saw the usual, my bed directly in front of me, the dresser to the left, nightstand the right, and various other objects scattered around my small room.

There was no sign of a walking, breathing, Cheveyo and I am slightly relieved. I don't think I would survive if he just materialized in front of me. 'Hna dv ga, Na s gi ni ge sv na, Atso a se di, u s di, Catori.' (Do not fret, little Catori.) His voice whispered softly to me. 'A yv, U na dv ga nv, Ni hi, U ya nv dv.' (I heard your call.)

Though he is speaking in a different language, I can understand him as if he's speaking English. I don't even really know if I'm speaking English. "Who are you?" I asked now that I can finally communicate with him freely for the moment. "Why have I loved you for so long?" I had many more questions but usually the ghost thing doesn't last very long in movies.

'A le a yv, No qui si, Ni hi, S v no yi e hi nv do (I am star, you are moon.) I could hear the smile in his voice. 'I tsu la, U ne gu tsidv, i go hi dv, Gv ge yu i." (We are Eternal Love.) I smiled and relaxed. I'm not sure if I know what being Eternal Love means but it sounds good to me.

"When can I see you?" I asked anxiously. "Please, Cheveyo, I need you here with me. I love you more than anything and anyone. Please don't make me wait any longer." I started to cry again, it felt like the cool wind tightened around my body as if holding me comfortingly.

'A nv da di s di, Ni hi, Di s gi ti s di,' (Remember your dreams) He said. 'A yv, A se i, V ga lu tsv, Na hna, S v no yi a ga li s gv, Sv no yi.' (I shall return on moonlight night.)

I don't know when moonlight night is! I've never been one to pay attention to the moon. I could still feel him there so I went for another question, the one I've wondered for twelve years. "Who killed you?" I asked quietly. I heard a small sigh.

'A le a yv ge sv, A da s dv di s do di, Na s gi na i, A s ga nv tsv.' (And I was punished for my crime.) He said sadly.

'What crime?!" I exclaimed. I forgot I have to keep my voice down, if Brian catches me talking to myself he'll have me sent away. "What did you do that made someone do such things to you?"

'Ga do hi ga ni yv do, I ya dv ne lv hi.' (The deed, as it has been done.) He said happily. I can feel emotions that aren't mine. He is happy and excited while I'm still sad and upset that he isn't here yet.

"I love you Cheveyo." I said aloud. I could feel the coolness slipping away and I know he wont be here for longer.

'A yv, Gv ge yu i, ni hi, Catori.' (I love you.) He said before all the coolness was sucked away from me. My one bit of comfort is gone. I started to cry again and struggled to get to my bed. I lay down and wrapped myself in the sheets that smell like him. I needed him to stay. I am broken to pieces and he's the only one who can fix me. I let sleep take over my body just so I can bewith him again.

I awoke the same way as always, screaming for Cheveyo. I head loud banging on my door. "Shawnee!" Da- Brian yelled. "Are you OK? Open the door sweetie!" I rolled over and groaned as I pulled myself out of bed. It feels a little funny, not like my usual blankets.

"What do you want Brian?" I snapped opening the door to see him standing there shirtless. He may be old but that doesn't keep him from working out. He's tall fit and takes care of himself. He looked saddened that I had called him Brian instead of dad but he didn't say anything.

"I heard you screaming," He said looking worried. "I thought someone had broken into the house but the you started screaming in some odd language." He looked at me suspiciously. "What is a Cheveyo?"

"I was just having a dream Brian," I said rudely. "Go back to your precious fiancé, I have to get ready for school." He frowned and walked back to his bedroom. I slammed my door and turned to go to the shower and I gasped when I actually took a look at my bed. It is covered in white flowers. I walked slowly over and picked one up. I recognize the beautiful plant as the Cherokee rose.

I smiled to myself and closed my eyes. These are gifts from Cheveyo, I can already tell he is the sweetest of gentleman's. I brought the flower to my nose and inhaled its light, yet fragrant smell. "Thank you my love." I whispered aloud. I waited but I didn't receive a reply as I had last night.

I lay the flower back down and jumped in the shower. I have a feeling this is going to be a good day. After my long, soothing shower, I dressed myself in a black sweater dress, tights and a pair of black heels. I didn't really bother much with makeup, a little eyeliner and lip gloss. I don't feel like I need the make up anymore. When I see Cheveyo, I want him to see me in my natural state, like I am in my dreams.

I grabbed my purse and backpack and headed downstairs to the kitchen, I'm starving! I didn't really eat much last night after the art show. Someone is already in the kitchen and I smell bacon, I love bacon. When I turned the corner I froze. Karen is in the kitchen making breakfast.

"Would you like something to eat?" She asked smiling at me. I rolled my eyes at her.

"No." I said stomping off to the fridge to for a glass of juice. I'll starve before I eat anything made by her hands. She is standing by the stove with her head hanging low.

"I'm sorry Shawn," She said glancing up at me. "I told your father that you weren't ready. He insisted that we go ahead and tell you."

"It doesn't matter." I said. "He's never thought about how I felt before and he's not going to start now." She is shaking her head at me.

"You're father loves you," She said. "He's not trying to hurt you." Her eyes are tearing up and she looks like she is about to cry. I almost feel sympathy but its Karen.

"If he really loved me, I wouldn't be left alone in this house for months or weeks at a time." I yelled at her. She jumped at my tone but didn't stop looking at me. "And if he doesn't want to hurt me," I pause. "He wouldn't be marrying you." She started to cry and ran out of the kitchen. I shrugged and drank my juice. I heard Brian stop her in the hall just outside.

"Honey whats wrong?" He asked with so much concern. "Are you OK?" She didn't say anything but I heard her cry harder and louder. It's really irritating. I heard footsteps going quickly up the stairs and when I turned around, Brian was standing there glaring at me.

"What did you say to her?" He growled looking at me angrily. I rolled my eyes at him and tried to push past him. I don't have to explain myself to him anymore. He's got Karen to worry about. He wouldn't move out of my way and I couldn't really push him because he is too big.

"Move," I growled. "You're going to make me late for school." He slammed his hand against the wall causing me to jump.

"Youre not leaving this house until you tell me what you did to her." He growled at me with hateful eyes. I laughed in his face. Does he really think that look intimidates me? It may have worked when I was younger but I am older and wiser now so this is just dirt on my shoulder.

"I don't have to answer to you," I laughed. "The only person I have to answer to is dead, and I don't hear her asking me any questions." I crossed my arms. "Your 'fiancé,'" I said sarcastically quoting fiance. "Is too fucking sensitive. Tell her to grow some nuts and suck it up." He started to walk toward me and I dodged him and ran for the front door. I'm not going to let him catch me.

He chased me all the way out to my car. I jumped in quickly and locked my doors. He stood outside fuming at me. I smiled and gave him the middle finger before driving off. Talk about a rush! I'm not scared of him or anything but if you could have seen his face you would have been.

I pushed Brian and his tramp out of my mind and focused on Cheveyo's words from last night. 'I shall return on moonlight night'. What the hell is that supposed to mean?The moon lights the night every night. I wish he gave better hints. This is like finding a needle in a haystack! I thought of all the possibilities until I arrived at school.