Cheveyo

Chapter 8

I woke up in a bed. At first I was afraid that someone had found me in the valley and kidnapped me or something. My heart started to race as I though of the possibilities. I know I cant lay here forever wondering where I am. I may as well take a peek and pray I don't see anything scary.

My eyes crept open and I sighed with relief. I am at my house in my bed. I shot up in the bed looking around. I wasn't wearing the clothes I wore to school this morning, I am now dressed in a long t-shirt. Who in the hell dressed me?! I started to imagine Cheveyo's hands on my body and it made my skin tingle. I had to push away the dirty thoughts and think of the big issues.

How did I get home? I know I didn't drive, the last thing I remember is seeing the blue stone and then falling towards the ground. I didn't feel the impact which is strange. I jumped out of bed and realized that the flowers from this morning still lay scattered across the sheets. I went to my window and peeked out. To my shock, my car is sitting in the driveway along with Brian and Karen's. I guess he's officially moved her in.

I felt something thud against my chest. I looked down and my eyes nearly shot out of my head! the necklace Cheveyo wore is around my neck. It looks the same as it did when I saw it in the vision, or what ever you want to call it. When I touched the tooth with my hands, something told me to never remove this necklace. Wear it until the day that I die, something told me that this necklace will come in handy one day.

I sat back on the bed and thought about everything I saw today. Cheveyo and I have been together since probably birth. We grew up together and he was there when I needed him. Not once did he show anything other than love for me. I thought back to the last vision of the ritual we were doing. I don't know how I know but I have a feeling that spell was a binding one. One that will keep our souls together forever. Eternal Love.

I'm starting to understand my dreams and what happened today. I am a reincarnation of Catori and he is a reincarnation of- well I don't really know what he will go by when he gets here. We've been in love for hundreds of years. I thought about when I got my period and what Cheveyo and I said. I asked him if he knew what came with maturity, and he said that 'He' would never touch me. Who is he? What happens to Cherokee girls when they mature?

I was brought out of my thoughts when my phone started to go off. I was getting text message after text message. I dug through my purse and pulled it out. The first message was from Sara.

"Are you OK?"

The next is from Ben.

"Man I am goin to kick his ass when I see him!" Then came messages from Mel, Emmett and Ash. I sent them all back the same message.

"Guys, I'm fine. I just got a little overwhelmed and needed to get away." Everyone sent back inspirational replies but then Sara called.

"What really happened today?" She asked sounding worried. I sighed and told her what happened in the hallway with Ethan. I'm still trying to figure out what happened with Ethan. I didn't know a man who tried to rape a person could cry. Its like the big, touch, football player turned into a ball of mush right in front of me. She just listened and threw in an occasional word or so.

"I just couldn't handle all of the attention so I bolted." I admitted. "I forgive him but I still don't want to be around him. He went way too far."

"Where did you go?" She asked. "Me and the guys looked all over for you. Mel kept crying because she was scared and Ben was off his rocker." I figured my friends would get worried when I didn't show up for class. "We called your phone hundreds of times and it went straight to voice mail."

"I don't really know where I was," I said. "I just got in my car and drove. It was like my body shut down and my car took over. I didn't know where it was taking me but I ended up on a dirt road surrounded by trees." She gasped. "I ended up in a field near a river."

"What did you do then?" She asked getting into the story. I don't know if I should tell her about everything or not. I know she's my best friend and she would never say or do anything to hurt me, but at the same time, I know she probably thinks I'm crazy. I've seen the looks she gives me when I say something about Cheveyo coming back. She tries to hide the fact that she's worried about my mental health.

I sighed through the phone. "You wouldn't believe me if I told you."

"Why wouldn't I believe you?" She gasped. "You're my best friend, you know you can trust me." She said truthfully. I fell silent for a moment. If she believes me, great, if not, it wont be the first time. I may as well tell her, plus I've got proof, its dangling beautifully from my neck.

I told Sara everything from start to finish. I described everything I saw and I told her everything that was said between us. She didn't say much while I talked she just listened attentively. I told her of the ritual and what happened to the stone.

I also told her that I had no idea how I got home. When I finished I heard her sigh. "Shawn," She said said hesitantly. "I'm sorry but I think you should see someone about this." She paused for a moment. "Shawn you need help."

My heart broke with her words. I know she always thought I was crazy but she's never said it out loud. My eyes started to fill with tears. "I have proof, Sara." I said. "I can show you that I'm not crazy, I can show you. You have to trust me, OK?" I am bawling now.

"Proof?" She asked with shock. "What kind of proof?" I cant prove anything over the phone, then she really wouldn't believe me. I need her here, in my room so I can show her the flowers scattered across my bed and the necklace. I need more though, this is nothing. The palm of my hand is aching like hell. When I looked down I saw a scar. A scar wasn't here this morning, a scar that wasn't here until after I touched the stone.

It is on the same hand that I cut in the during the ritual. It is red and tender like its still healing. "Can you come over?" I asked, if this isn't evidence, I don't know what is. "You have to see it."

"Yea, be there in ten." She said and hung up the phone.

I walked down stairs and heard my Brian and Karen in the kitchen. I feel a little bad for the way I'm treating her. I know she doesn't deserve it but I cant help it. She took my mothers place. Maybe one day I can accept her, but I'll never accept her as my mother. I walked into the kitchen and they stopped talking. "Hey." I said nervously, not looking at either of them.

"Hey honey." My dad said. He didn't sound pissed so i figure he let what happened this morning go. Something told me to apologize to Karen. She didn't kill my mom, a car wreck did. She doesn't deserve this treatment. I glanced at Karen who refused to look at me. I cant apologize to her, I feel like I should but I just cant.

"I just wanted to tell you that Sara is coming over." Karen kept glancing at me. I didn't give her the usual evil look and she seemed to relax. I didn't want to really stick around much longer. I can wait for Sara upstairs in my room. Brian will let her in. I still have to tell her about his 'special engagement'.

I got back to my room and everything was the same. Everything except the painting of Cheveyo and I. I had left the painting on my desk and I planned on framing it later. Now it is hanging above my bed in a beautiful oak frame. These things don't frighten me. When something strange happens or something suddenly appears, I get excited. I know that it means he is getting stronger and closer. He will be here soon and I know it.

"Shawn," Brian yelled. "Sara's coming up!" I didn't sit on the bed, I didn't want to move anything because I am scared it will disappear. I've seen too many movies where someone is about to show someone else something and suddenly it disappears. She knocked lightly on my door and pushed it open. She walked in hesitantly and closed the door behind her with a click.

"Are you OK Shawn?" She asked putting a hand on my shoulder. I turned to her smiling.

"I'm perfectly fine," I said matter of factually. "But I have been having a couple of problems," I said tapping my chin. "One, my dad is marrying that woman downstairs, and two, I wish my best friend would believe what I say is true."

"Your dad's getting married?!" She gasped covering her mouth dramatically. I only nodded sadly. "I'm sorry." She whispered sincerely. "But, Shawn, I need to see proof that this Chevrolet guy exists, Shawn." She said. "I cant believe you until I see it."

"His name is Cheveyo!" I growled angrily making her flinch. She's been making fun of his name since I told her about him in the fifth grade, and now its really starting to piss me off. I know she didn't mean any harm so I felt the need to apologize.

"Sorry, Sara." I mumbled. She nodded her head lightly. I know she forgives me, she always does. We never stay mad at each other for more than a couple of days. Its always been that way.

"Can we get on with this?" She asked sounding a little frustrated. "I was about to eat dinner before you told me to come over." She rubbed her stomach just like Ben does. "I'm hungry." She said scrunching her face.

"You're turning into Ben!" I laughed and rolled my eyes. I started with what happened last night. I told her about my dads engagement and about Cheveyo's little visit. The look on her face told me I sounded crazy.

"I woke up with my bed covered in Cherokee Rose's." I said finishing that part. She looked over at the bed and saw the, still fresh looking flowers laying on my bed. Her eyes kind of widened but then they went back to normal.

"What else?" She asked looking back at me mysteriously. Obviously that wasn't enough. I went to the vision with the necklace.

"Remember the necklace I told you Cheveyo was wearing in the vision?" I asked her. She nodded her head slowly. I had tucked the necklace into my shirt so my dad wouldn't see it. I pulled it out and held it in my hand in front of her. She gasped and looked at me. "I woke up wearing it. Sara, I don't even know how I got home! I passed out in the field and I woke up wearing this," I said pointing to the long shirt. "And this." I said wiggling the necklace.

She took a step towards me, she was staring at the tooth. She hesitantly reached out and touched it. She snatched her hand away moments later screaming. I jumped at her reaction. "Whats wrong?!" I yelled not knowing what happened.

"It burned my fucking skin!" She screamed. "It felt like I stuck my finger in lava!" She was bouncing around the room sucking on her finger, hoping to sooth the pain. How could it burn her? It isn't burning me and its been pressed to my skin for probably hours. When I touch it, I feel him. "Why isn't it burning you?" She asked after she calmed down, though she was still complaining about her finger. It had actually like singed her skin, it was a little black.

"I don't know." I whispered still staring at the necklace. "Maybe because it was his and he and I are meant to be together." Sara stopped moving around and looked at me sadly.

"Come on, Shawn," She said. "You've got to stop this." I held my healing hand up in her face. "What's that?" She asked seeing the deep red scar.

"That is proof." I said. "You see my hands everyday, Sara. You would know if I had a cut or something. You saw my hands this morning and this wasn't there. It didn't show up until after the ritual vision." She was still giving me that look. I slumped my shoulders and opened my bedroom door. "If you're going to keep looking at me like that, you can just go."

"Shawn don't be like that." She said sadly.

"You think I'm crazy!" I laughed. "You just got you finger fried by a necklace and yet you still dont believe me? From now on, I'll just keep my personal life to myself. You'll see when he gets her, and he's coming soon." She stood there frowning at me then she left without a word. I hope this isn't the end of our friendship. I just wish someone would believe me. Who am I kidding? If I went to a psychiatrist they'd put me in a straight jacket.

When I heard my front door close I sighed and decided I'd take a long shower. Even though Sara and may not be as close after today, my spirit is still high. I know a lot more now about my dreams and the events that took place today. I think I've figured out when he will come back also.

I've Ben thinking about my dream a lot. It was chilly like October and the moon was full. It was also full the night of the ritual. Moonlight night? Full moon? It makes sense to me, but when is the next full moon? I'll ask Mel tomorrow at Ben's party.

God I hope this party goes smoothly. I mean yea, I had fun at the last one I attended, exempting the partial rape scene. I trust Ben and Emmett to look out for me. I trust Ben a little more because like we said earlier, Emm couldn't hurt a fly. He's the talker, Ben's the beater. He doesn't go around starting fights, its just that if one comes his way, he doesn't back down.

Maybe I can tell Emmett or Mel about whats going on, maybe I'll even tell Ash too. He's become a part of our circle of friend and I trust him just as much as I do my other friends. I've got a confession to make, I don't care how they take it and I don't care if they think I'm crazy. Nobody's going to look at me like I'm stupid once he gets here.