This Is A Love Song In My Own Way

Part Five.

The bright eyes the writer learned to use to his advantaged met the exact spot on the screen where the contact's name would show up. Pete had half a full second to wish for it to be the one that never really left any thought he had. The screen changed to remind him he wasn't the lead role in a cheesy romantic film.

The few times he had spoke to Andy recently it had been small talk, mostly answering questions about the correct lyrics to nearly every song in existence he was unsure about.

Pete always said if he hadn't tattoed the Clanestine logo on his stomach, his next option was the touchpad to an old school ipod. No one ever took him seriously about that.

"What's the name of that movie where the guy sews those people together like a bug or something?" Hurley had the worst time remembering titles of movies. Pete's laugh made it past his throat and into his mouth. He couldn't hear it because of the latest song shuffle made him subject to and he was glad of it. His laugh was something he was never a fan of, no matter how many times people obsessed over it. The smile held it's place even after his fingers typed out, "Human Centipede. Are you sure you're ready for that?" In all honesty, Pete felt bad for the people around him when he first viewed the film. He complained about the beginning being too slow, complained about the acting then when the concept of the storyline became clear not five minutes went by without the bassist vocalizing every cringe and comment he had.

Andy's responses were quicker than the rest and he was always the first one to give in. The drummer ensured him he was ready to watch something he had been warned about on many occasions. The contact immediately began eating away at Pete. The urge to ask about Patrick. He went through the motions like they were the first time, as if he never learned anything from all the times before. Around the time he began to ask himself what he really had to lose at this point he had already gave in.

"He's worried about you. I shouldn't say this, but make him shut up." Pete wondered if Andy knew that was exactly what he wanted to hear; the permission from someone else to speak to him. His own self-permission was banned.

An entire world of possibilities hit the man. The phone resting on his chest felt more like a file cabnet than the lifeless life-changer it really was. What Pete had his heart set on saying out-weighed what was the safest thing to say, by far. Something along the lines of "Admit it." "You love me just as much as I love you." "Where are you? Tell me and I'll be there." "I'll drop everything to see you." Nothing sounded as effective as what he ended up saying.

"Hey."

Pete knew Patrick hated him for the last time, or at least wasn't fond of him anymore because of it.

"<i>Hey, Pete.</i>" He didn't expect that.

Pictures he had seen of the one he was so sure would never leave his side came to mind. Patrick's whole image and attitude was changed way too suddenly for him. But, with every new picture, the last two sentences became louder and louder. He said he was going to be happy.

Something constant about Stump; when he said something, he meant it and always followed through.

"I've never been more proud of you, kid." Pete wasn't lying.