Ellen's New Life

Ice Cream

I've walked down the street. Hand in hand with Mikey. Feeling a little bad about it, because he was my uncle, and because he was 15 years older than me. More than double my age.

I tried to ignore it, I didn't want these bad feelings spoil the great time we were having. But somehow, I couldn't stop thinking about it.

We stopped by a little place where they sell delicious ice creams. We always buy ice creams exactly here.

Mikey ordered one big strawberry ice cream, and each of us were licking it from one side. I knew that eventually, our tongues will meet in the middle.

That was the thing I was most afraid of. Don't get me wrong, I didn't think it was gross or anything, I liked Mikey in some strange way.

But I didn't want to get into something with him. We were already seeing each other, but that wasn't nothing special. Many friends see each other and stay just friends.

But I could feel this was getting something more. At least from Mikey's side. When we first went out for an ice cream, he bought each of us our own ice cream. Now, we were just having one big ice cream. Together.

The 'wall' between me and Mikey got thinner. I was afraid of the moment it will disappear. I stopped licking and made a step back.

"Something wrong, Elly?" asked Mikey. When we were alone, he called me Elly. When there was Gerard, he always called me Ellen.

"No, it's just... I feel sick. I probably ate too much ice cream already. I lick it faster than you!" I said, trying to hide the real reason.

"That's because you don't lick the ice cream, you suck it," he said. We both were laughing even more.