The Curse of a Vampire

We've got a Problem

“Alex” Stella’s patience was running low. That Gavin followed her the whole way to the hotel room, quite obviously. “Please, take this burden off my shoulders” She didn’t even ask him where he went that morning.

Alex’s eyes traveled to Gavin. He didn’t look at all like he imagined. Instead of a tall and majestic Dutch man, he met a modest looking vampire. Next to a human boy, he definitely looked taller and better but next to a normal vampire boy, he was nothing special. Alex was checking him out openly.
There was no shame. However, Gavin felt uncomfortable and annoyed.

“Are you done checking me out?” Stella glanced at the two boys over her shoulder and chuckled. Alex was possessive and careful; he had lived through enough to know who meant danger and who didn’t.

He must have felt the mediocrity of the young Kraftig. But, Stella wasn’t so quick in labeling him. He was holding back but she didn’t understand why.

“We need him, for now” She was known for her sincere and cold statements but it kind of stung. Alex didn’t care as much about Kraftig because he knew there was no treat alive. But, if Gavin was alive then there were chances other Kraftig members were alive as well.

Stella was known for her low level of patience. She wasn’t able to cease her curiosity and she always had to do it her way. It was something she inherited from her uncle, for sure. That was why Alex found himself guarding the door, by being outside, while Stella decided to have a small chat with her new acquaintance.

“I want you to tell me everything about Ian” She was peacefully sitting on a chair, in a lady-like fashion. Her back was straight and she was looking at the younger vampire with superiority. Her eyes were boring into his, with no shame and no intention of holding back.

“He was quite a monster. He made quite a name for his family. He never had just one woman around. He had a few principles in life and all of them had something to do with death or torture. He loved to torture people and see how the life was slowly slipping from their eyes” He rubbed his neck and yawned. It was weird how tired he started to feel out of nowhere. “Why am I sleepy?” She raised an eyebrow and leaned back on her chair.

“Because you have too much amethyst in your body. You won’t die, but you will fall asleep for a few hours” His eyes widened and he hissed. “I slipped it into your coffee, earlier today. It was too easy. Gavin. You disappoint me” Her words and tone were so cold and venomous. She just made him feel like he was the crap from the bottom of her shoe.

“That is not nice. How can you be so calm? If I fall asleep I won’t be able to tell you anything” She continued to stare at him blankly. “Are you seriously going to use my unconscious mind in your favor?”

She nodded, quite contently. Gavin sighed and fell on the bed.

“I want to know something more personal about him. He must have had more than just one son, right?” Gavin nodded without feeling bad at all. At least, he was the only son who was still alive.

“The Kraftig family had 3 important members. Ian was actually the youngest child. He had two older sisters and from what I documented myself off, they were even worse than him. It seems that the older one tried to kill her siblings in order to inherit their powers. Ian was the only guy so he had the most chances to carry the name forward” Stella absorbed the information quickly.

“Did he kill them?” Gavin nodded. “Then did he inherit the Kraftig powers?” He shook his head.

“No. I found out later on that he somehow got passed by. I think that was the reason he became such a beast. But just because his generation had been passed, that doesn’t mean it happened the same to the following ones. That’s when the Tragedy began” Stella’s eyes narrowed and her attention grew. It was getting more interesting.

“What was the Tragedy?” Gavin’s eyes hardened visibly. His fangs were growing rapidly, as well.

“It was a battle for power. It was a war between the members of the family; a massacre in order to obtain the inheritance. It destroyed more than half of the family and that was when Ian created the teufel entfeselt”

Suddenly, having Gavin as an ally seemed more beneficial than Stella originally thought.

Unfortunately, after he got her fired up with that new piece of information, he fell unconscious.

On the other side of the world, things weren’t as dark as in Europe. In Firehole, Arizona, the police was already getting sick of one young man who’s name was…

“Nathan Monroe” The police officer sighed and dropped tiredly on the chair. “I’ve been here for half of my life but I have never seen someone get in so much trouble before. This is your third time you got dragged into my office” Nathan didn’t look surprised at all.

“It’s not that bad”

“Only this week! It’s been a month already since you started to come in here like you just enter your house. I’m sick of your face, Nate” The police was overall sick of Nathan. He was known as a troublemaker but he got that statement to a whole new level. He was always caught at the wrong moment in the wrong place.

“I’m sick of your face too, sheriff. I’m not too fond of this place either” The sheriff rubbed his forehead and sighed.

“Then don’t come in here. Ever. I’m serious, Nate. You get into a lot of trouble and I don’t even know how. You got into a fight with a barman, a police officer and a student. That happened only last week.
This week, you already came on Monday because you got into a car accident. Now-“ The sheriff got interrupted by a younger officer who walked in hurriedly.

“Sorry sir, but we’ve got a problem. We have to get in the forest as fast as we can” The sheriff rose from his seat and frowned. What was he going to do with the teenager in front of him? He sighed.

“Monroe, you can either wait for me here or tag along” The answer was simple. Nate was curious. He was a lot like is uncle, as well.

When they arrived in the forest, they saw three more police cars. While the sheriff hurried to the crime spot, Nate was walking slowly, like he was walking in the park.

“What happened here?” He could hear the sheriff talking without a problem. “She looks like she had been skinned and thrown out here in the open. The killer wanted us to find her easily” Nate’s eyebrows furrowed questioningly. He fastened his pace and stopped next to the sheriff. When he saw the dead corpse, he frowned.

“She hadn’t been skinned” That got the sheriff’s attention “She had been attacked by a wolf. These aren’t scratches made by a knife, but by claws” He sighed and bent to see her body better. “We’ve got a serious problem” He mumbled. The sheriff didn’t need to know that it wasn’t just a crime. It was more and he knew that. How? Because whoever did that do the poor human drew the symbol of caduceus on her skin.