Counterpart Pie

One

Sadie should have pushed her sister out of her front door when she showed up. But, she didn’t. Dana needed help. Of course, Sadie told her to fuck right off when Dana first said that she needed help, that she was never going back to hunting, but somehow Dana got into her head.

Sadie’s desire to help Dana may have been revenge driven. Sadie had been living a normal life, as normal a life could get for a former hunter, and she was happy. She graduated high school and was going to college. And she had a boyfriend, Jack, who she met at college. The two weren’t living together, but Sadie spent a lot of time at Jack’s house. They were supposed to have dinner at Jack’s house to celebrate Sadie getting into Yale, but, unfortunately when Sadie got there, Jack’s throat was being ripped out by a demon.

Needless to say, Sadie never went to Yale. She spent the next three weeks after Jack’s death trying to arrange a funeral with Jack’s mother and sisters. The night after the funeral is when Dana showed up.

It was 3:05 when Sadie heard something coming from the kitchen in her apartment. The place was so small you could hear the neighbours four doors down from her. Sadie slowly got out of bed, grabbing the handgun she kept in her desk drawer. She may have been through with hunting, but she was not stupid. She knew that demons and ghosts were still out there, and she still lined her place with salt and had hidden devil’s traps all over the place.

She crept silently down the tiny hallway and looked around the corner into the dark kitchen. The only light that was in the room was coming from the open fridge. Sadie raised an eyebrow before moving forwards, on her tip-toes. She stopped, raised the handgun, and cocked it. “Who are you and what are you doing in my apartment?” Sadie said in a low growl.

The figure slowly stood up. “Have I taught you nothing, Sade?” it was a female voice. She took something out of the fridge and turned around. “Light beer? This stuff tastes like piss.”

Sadie lowered her gun and flicked on the kitchen light. “Dana? What the hell are you doing here?” Sadie asked her sister.

“What? Big sis can’t pop in on you every once in a while?” Dana asked, closing the fridge door, but not before putting the beer back inside. Dana leaned against the kitchen counter and folded her arms. Dana was a lot like Sadie remembered. Short, cropped black hair, an old, beat up leather jacket, and the snarky attitude she had grown up with.

“Not when big sis hasn’t talked to me in four years.” Sadie told her. Dana frowned slightly. “Now, what are you doing here? In fact, how did you even know where I live?”

“Newspapers are a girl’s best friend.” Dana said. Sadie rolled her eyes. “I read about Jack. I’m sorry.”

“No you’re not. You never even met him.” Sadie said and Dana looked a little taken back.

“Well, so much for playing nice.” Dana mumbled, causing Sadie to roll her eyes again. “Don’t you ever get tired of doing that? I forgot that you’re kind of a sarcastic bitch.”

Sadie narrowed her eyes slightly. “Just…why are you here, Dana?” Sadie demanded.

Dana pushed herself off the counter and took a step forwards. “I need your help.” Sadie exhaled and turned around, walking back to her bedroom. “Oh, come on. Don’t give me the cold shoulder.” Dana followed her sister into her bedroom. Sadie flicked the light back on and put the gun on top of her desk. She then turned around and looked at Dana.

“Why? Why shouldn’t I?” Sadie asked. Dana opened her mouth, but Sadie cut her off. “I’m not helping you.” Sadie folded her arms across her chest tightly.

“And why not?” Dana asked.

“Because I gave up hunting!” Sadie said. “I’m out!”

“You’re never out!” Dana replied.

“Well, I am, you twat.” Sadie snapped. “Besides, there are other hunters you could team up with.”

“Yeah, but I don’t like them! More than half of them have tried to kill me!” Dana said. Sadie tried her hardest not to roll her eyes again. Dana walked up to her younger sister, who was unfortunately taller than Dana herself. “Look, there are people dying in Pasadena because of demons.”

“That’s really unfortunate.” Sadie said. “I’m not helping.”

“Oh, come on…” Dana started to say, but Sadie huffed.

“Look it is terrible people are dying, and I feel bad, but it’s not my problem anymore.” Sadie said. “I don’t want it to be my problem!”

“It sounds like you don’t care.” Dana accused.

“Oh, I care. I care that people are being ripped apart by demons. But it’s still not my problem!” Sadie said. “It hasn’t been my problem for years, Dana!”

Dana huffed, “I just thought it would become your problem. I mean, it’s not like your boyfriend was ripped apart by one, is it?” Dana said. Sadie narrowed her eyes.

“You’re an asshole.” Sadie spat.

Dana only smirked. “But you’re going to help me, aren’t you?”

And that’s what Sadie did.