Status: Active

Contort

FOUR

{contort} • to twist, bend severely out of shape, DISTORT.

FOUR:


HEADMASTER Albus Dumbledore watched from behind his crescent moon spectacles, two figures approach his desk. The skin around the corners of the old man's eyes creased as a warm smile tugged at his lips.

"Severus," Dumbledore greeted while gesturing his friend toward an empty seat. "And you must be Miss Haylett."

"Yes sir," Karas replied with a smile as she extended her hand toward her headmaster, who kindly shook it in reply. "Karas Haylett."

The young lady smoothed out her black dress robes before taking a seat beside Severus Snape, who was sitting with his hands followed in his lap. An undetected glint of satisfaction flashed across his black eyes.

Kara's eyes scanned the circular room, memorizing the layout. Taking mental snap shots. Click. Click. Click. Portraits of former Hogwarts headmasters caught her attention while she gazed around the room. Some offered her a curt nod of welcome, while several of the deceased men slept soundly in their painted chairs.

"I received your academic transcripts from Beauxbatons yesterday evening," Professor Dumbledore spoke. He scanned over several pieces of parchment in his hands briefly before meeting eye contact with Karas. "And I am greatly impressed."

"Thank you, Headmaster," Karas flashed a charming smile and briskly looked to her left, receiving a nod from Severus. Perfect.

Albus rose from his chair and rounded the corner of his desk. Now standing in front of Karas, Albus stroked his cotton white beard.

"Hogwarts would be delighted to have you, Karas," Dumbledore's expression warmed and he watched the woman rise from her seat.

"It's an honor, sir," Karas conveyed gratitude like she actually meant it.

“Classes commence a week from today and your education level received at Beauxbatons converts to a fourth year here,” Dumbledore continued, completely oblivious. Just like they'd planned.

“Thank you,” Karas expressed while shaking the hand of Albus Dumbledore once more.

Severus Snape stood to his feet and lingered beside Miss Haylett.

“Now if you wouldn't mind, Karas,” Snape spoke, his dark eyes meeting hers, “I need to have
a word with the headmaster alone.”

ALASTOR Moody faced himself in the small oval mirror that hung off center on a crowded wall of family portraits. The muggle family in the photographs resided within the home his feet now tread upon. Their faces belong to those of the four lifeless bodies that lie in the room behind him. He neither regretted nor felt mournful towards the mindless killing of innocent lives. His master needed a place to stay. So, he provided.

“Voldemort wants to speak to you,” The timid voice of Peter Pettigrew was heard as he approached from the opposite end of the hallway. Rays of light from underneath the closed doors he passed by, revealed Pettigrew's shuffling feet. Always nervous.

Out of habit, Barty Crouch Jr. licked the corner of his mouth and reached for the flask attached to his hip. He took a quick swig of Polyjuice Potion, while continuing to stare at his appearance as the auror, Alastor Moody.

An agonizing groan resounded from the convulsing trunk next to his feet, the wail sounded as if it came from six feet under. Crouch kicked the corner of the bared chest, silencing the mysterious cry. Then, faced Wormtail, who stood biting his grime filled fingernails. Disgusting habit.

“Then what are we waiting for?” Mad-Eye Moody grunted as he began to trudge down the hallway.

"My lord, what if they should fail?" Lucius Malfoy's voice caught Barty's attention as he entered, what seemed to be a dining room.

An elongated, glass table rested in the center of the room. Windows that reached from the floor to the ceiling made as a backdrop for the head of the table. Thick mauve curtains masked the sunlight that blazed against glass, preventing Barty from taking in any more details of the room.

All attention turned to the approaching figure of Alastor Moody as he entered, interrupting conversation. Lucius jumped to his feet, wand at the ready.

"I do not believe there will be a failure, Lucius," Voldemort's weakened voice murmured. "For even you find Mr. Crouch's disguise believable."

"Sit down, Malfoy," the demanding voice of Alastor Moody spoke as he trudged by.

Lucius awkwardly took his seat, feeling ashamed for lack of trust. Barty Crouch took a seat at the end of the glass table, stretching his tired legs in front of him. His eyes darted to the coiled snake in the center of the table. The dark eyes of Nagini watched him closely. Suddenly, a figure stepped into the room.

"Ah, welcome, Narcissa," Voldemort greeted. "You're just in time."

Mrs. Malfoy nodded in respect and took an empty seat beside her husband, who she exchanged glances with.

"Continue, Severus," Voldemort instructed.

Barty Crouch looked down the table and watched Snape rise from his chair. Crouch assumed this was the continuation of a conversation that took place before his arrival.

Severus stared at the grandfather clock in the corner of the room several seconds before speaking. "Dumbledore is not a fool," he breathed.

Severus placed his hands behind his back and faced the small congregation of only Voldemort, Lucius and Narcissa Malfoy, who Snape didn't have a clue to why the Dark Lord had summoned, Barty Crouch Jr. and the always present, Nagini.

Every eye watched Snape closely. He flicked his head to the left, moving a thin strip of black hair that had grazed his cheek.

“He is a great man, there is no question about that. However,” a smirk tugged at the corner of Snape's lips. “The legend Albus Dumbledore has, but one flaw.”

The air in the room seemed to hold its breath. The last gulp of air before a plunge. The final prayer as you face the barrel of a gun. “He can be easily persuaded.”

As if on queue, Nagini glided off the table and onto the floor. The reptile's body violently jerked from side to side. One could almost wonder if animagus' receive whiplash after a transformation. A tall, slender body of a woman appeared in the far corner of the room. A wicked smile flashed across her face while she dainty fixed her short, chocolate brown hair and took an empty seat across from Narcissa, who sat awestruck.

Few knew of Voldemort's little secret.

“Hello there,” Karas, who is also Nagini, cooed while folding her arms across her chest.

“Severus,” Voldemort called.

Snape quickly turned his attention to the Dark Lord.

“Would you please fill Mrs. Malfoy in on the details?” The wizard's voice grew hoarse. “She is greatly confused.”

After a brief nod, Severus began speaking once more. “Nagini will be taking her human form and pose as a transfer student at Hogwarts.” Snape's voice dripped with satisfaction. “Mr. Crouch will be impersonating the all famous auror, Alastor Moody and teaching the class defense against the dark arts.” Severus raised a hand toward Barty, who chugged another drink of Polyjuice Potion. He cringed.

Narcissa Malfoy cleared her throat, “If I may ask, what importance does Nagini's role hold?”

“Why, Mrs. Malfoy, I play the most important role of all,” Karas stood to her feet. She perched her perfect pink lips. “I bring them to their knees.”

Karas began to walk a slow circle around the room, as if taking in the glory of her prize.

“Go on, my pet,” Voldemort beckoned, “Tell them how.”

“By keeping Harry Potter's gaze fixed on myself.” Karas stepped upon an empty chair and overlooked the Death Eaters. Now seizing every strand of their attention, she stepped onto the table. “Mr. Potter is not to know that my lord, Voldemort, is returning to power.” She took one step with both hands behind her back, then, locked eyes with Severus Snape.

“Mr. Potter is not to know he will be put in a trap.” Two steps. “And to keep him from realizing these two key factors,” Karas met the stare of each person in the room. Her green eyes radiated the power she felt from within. “I will steal the one person," Karas held up her pointer finger and turned a slow circle on the table, "That holds Harry Potter together.” Three steps. “His best friend.”

“She's...” Ron grumbled as he jerked his head from side to side. “I must...”

His chest heaved in gasps as he clinched his fists tighter. Sweat dripped onto his lips. “Find her.”

“Ron, wake up!” Harry growled while shaking the shoulders of his best friend. “Wake up, your dreaming.”

Ronald responded in a fit of groans before ripping his eyelids open. Blue eyes looked from left to right before fully becoming aware of their surroundings.

Gray walls.

The rattle of the glass door to his left.

Blurred glimpses of the scenery outside quickly passed by the large window that occupied the wall to his right. And undeniably, dense air that encompassed the room, a result of caged body heat.

Ron was in an compartment on the Hogwarts Express.

"How long was I out?" Ron asked with a yawn as he briefly met eye contact with Hermione.

Hermione clenched her jaw and didn't make an attempt to hide her blood-shot eyes.

"No more than twenty minutes," Harry replied while taking a seat in front of him. He analyzed Ron closely.

"Who's the girl?" Hermione snapped. A light pink hue dusted her cheeks as she became embarrassed for her outburst.

"What?" Ron squinted, ignoring his quickening pulse.

"When you were asleep, you were mumbling about a girl," Hermione spoke slowing, she looked toward Harry for support.

"You were saying how you needed to find her," Harry continued, narrowing his jade eyes.

"I don't remember," Ronald lied as he casually stretched his long, freckled arms. "Must be going bonkers," he joked, giving off a laugh which was lightly returned by his two friends.

"Maybe," Hermione whispered as she watched several students pass by their compartment door. She tightened the hair tie that held her wavy, brunette hair behind her ears. "We're almost there."
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading! Don't forget to check out, Love Gone Mad. My other fan-fiction featuring, George Weasley.