Status: One-Shot for a contest :)

Nightmare Remembered

Nightmare

I'm running down a corridor, rows of large black doors flying by me as I push forward. Behind me I can hear the sounds of many sets of footsteps just paces away. It seems that the longer I run the closer they are and I know that if I were to turn around they'd get to me without a doubt.

With no way to check the time, I figure that if I keep running I might be okay, except for the fact that I seem to be slowing down. The light bulbs hanging from the ceiling start blowing out one by one, shards of glass raining down upon my captives and I, still hot and searing against the skin.

Everything from here is in slow motion. The wall at the end of the hall is coming up fast, and in that wall is a small door that keeps growing larger and larger, the doors opening. The room behind the door turns out to be a very big and very elaborately decorated sanctuary, lit with the glow of a hundred or more candles. Taken aback by the sight, I forget that I'm being chased until a cold pair of hands take hold of my shoulders. Unable to escape them they push me toward a huge stone table in front of all the pews, careful to steer clear of the candles. Twisting around to see who has a hold of me, I catch a glimpse of a man’s, or maybe a woman’s, face underneath the midnight cloak covering its body. There are five or six people behind the person, and when I'm turned back around there are a few more people in cloaks waiting by the table, all of them whispering a chant to one another.

When we reach the table I'm picked up and tossed onto it. Four people grab each of my arms and legs and hold them down to the stone with hands as icy as the stone I'm held to. The one that had pushed me to the table steps forward once more, this time with a large glinting knife in its hand. The chanting grows louder and louder as the knife is lifted higher. It comes down, slicing through my shirt and into my stomach, and then the person throws his or her head back to scream out a wild chant, and I look up into the face of –

Completely disoriented, I sit up in my bed, body shaking and covered in a slick sheen of cold sweat, already forgetting the details of my nightmare until the next time I have it.