Status: Complete. Thank you for reading. :)

No Matter What

Prison

Involuntary Manslaughter, where death is the unintentional result of one’s intentional actions. That’s what I was being charged for. I was sentenced to four years for unintentionally killing my step-father. I didn’t mean to kill my step-father he just...he was about to kill my mom, and I knew it. I didn’t mean to shoot him; I was trying to get him scared so he would leave my mother alone. But I just needed to stop him from hurting my mother. I knew that’s what he was going to do, he was going to kill her, and I couldn’t let that happen. I only wanted to protect her. She’s my mom, and now she’s really the only person I have left. Even as the guard lead me down a line of cells, I couldn’t help but in a way, be glad that my abusive step-father was dead. My mom never liked him that much either, but she was forced into marrying him by her parents. She didn’t love him, she never did, she always said that no one could replace my real dad; and I agree with her. Actually, I probably saved both of our lives by shooting him. I’ve had to jump in between him and my mother too many times to count, just to keep him from hurting her. I’ve been beaten and hit by him, and nearly shot a couple of times. The bastard had what was coming to him. I was uncuffed as the guard stopped in front of what I guessed to be my cell. Somewhere I’d have to call home for years. The guard walked me in, then walked out, slammed the door on the cell, and walked away. This was it, my mother should be on her way home by now, crying her eyes out that her poor Brian has been charged for manslaughter, but also glad that she doesn’t have to fear for her life and mine every day now that Nick’s gone. I can rest peacefully in here knowing my mom was safe, and away from that lunatic. I turned around and looked at the small cell, and pressed myself up against the bars slightly when a large man jumped down off of the top bunk.

“Looks like I got a new friend.” He said, grinning at me. It wasn’t a friendly grin, it was the type of grin you see on killers in horror movies just before they swing the ax down into your skull. “What’s your name, pretty boy?” He asked, his grin now being accompanied by a glare.

“B-Brian Haner.” I mumbled, and he nodded.

“I’m Shadows.” He said, taking another step closer to me. “Don’t fuck with me, and I won’t fuck with you.”

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
^*Madison’s POV*^
“Hey Joey.” I smiled at Joey as I came back from my short lunch.

“Hey, Madison, we got a new inmate today.” Joey said, stopping me before I could go into the Medical Care Center.

“Really?” I let sarcasm cover my words. We got new inmates every day, this was the California Correctional Institution, I wondered what the big deal was about this guy.

“I’m serious, this guy looked like he was ready to fight anyone, right at nearly broke my nose in the court room.” Joy said, and I eyed him suspiciously.

“Wait, are you talking about the guy that had the balls to attack my dad after he was sentenced, and knocked him unconscious?” I asked, and he nodded.

“Brian Elwin Haner Jr.”

“What did he get locked up for again?” I asked, now interested.

“Shot his step-father. They’ve got him in a cell with Sanders and-” I cut him off.

“With Sanders? Oh god, he’ll set him straight.” I said with a slight laugh.

“I don’t know about that, I mean this is the first guy in nearly thirty years that actually been able to attack the judge in the court room. He got past Wilison, Gary, and I with no problem. He may be the one setting Sanders straight.” Joey said and I shook my head.

“Hell no. He pulls any of that shit with Matthew and he’ll wind up here.”

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
^*Brian’s POV*^
“So, what landed you in this hell hole?” Shadows asked from above me.

“I uh…shot my step-father.” I felt things starting to pull at my mind. “It was an accident…” I muttered, and Shadows let out a scoff.

“It always is.” He said, his voice changing slightly.

“I really didn’t mean to do it, it really was an accident. I may have hated him, and wanted to kill him, but I wouldn’t have intentionally shot him.” I said, and Shadows’ head suddenly appeared as he looked down at me from his bunk.

“Just like I accidentally chocked my last cell mate to death when he smart mouthed me.” He glared. “We won’t have another accident like that, now will we?” I shook my head no. “Good boy.” He said, and grinned before retreating back to his bed.

“I take it you’ve been here for a while.” I inquired.

“Since I turned twenty one. Right at about seven years.” He looked back down at me. “How old are you?”

“I’m twenty four. I had a birthday yesterday.” What a fucking wonderful birthday.

“Oh, then you should be safe.” He just smirked.

“Safe from what?” I sat up, propping myself on my elbows.

“From all of the creatures that lurk in this hell.” Matt grinned and then disappeared again. I didn’t say another word, I just rolled over and faced the wall. I don’t like it in here. If I just play it cool and don’t get in anyone’s way, then maybe I’ll survive.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
^*Shadows’ POV*^
Something wasn’t right with this new guy. He tried to act tough, but then as soon as someone snaps at him, he flinches, and his shell cracks a little bit. It’ll be fun to see what he does around the other guys tomorrow at lunch. I wonder what Jimmy and Zack will think of him. Jimmy will probably think he’s cool, although, he was destined for the mental facility until they proved he wasn’t completely insane. But Zack has a problem with everybody. That’s why he acquired the name Vengeance. He’ll find something wrong with Haner as soon as he lays eyes on him. I guess we’ll just have to see what happens. That is, as long as Crunch doesn’t get a hold of him before then.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
^*Brian’s POV*^
I stood in the lunchroom. I wasn’t hungry, I don’t think I could eat anything they serve in here, I could’ve sworn I saw something move in those green beans. With that sickening thought I sat down at an empty table, away from that Shadows guy. There was something about him that scared me, maybe it was the fact that he seemed like he was 60% muscle, 30% asshole, and 10% creepy.

“Look Crunch, fresh meat.” I heard someone behind me say, but before I could look up my face was shoved into the metal table, and chairs screeched around me, and the next thing I knew I was on the floor, some guy on top of me, throwing punches at my face. I threw a punch back and knocked him off of me, but as soon as I did it seemed there was another person in line. I couldn’t get him off of me, so I just tried to protect myself, and then the guy was thrown off of me, and I looked up to see Shadows, holding the guy up by his collar, there were two other guys standing behind him. He tossed the guy to the floor, and I was helped up by a tall lanky man.

“Fucking lay a finger on him, and I’ll fucking kick your fucking ass.” Shadows threatened the two guys laying on the floor, and I was drug off towards a table, and pushed down into a chair.

“I fucking knew you were nothing but bad news.” One guy with snakebites said as he sat down across the table from me, shaking his head as he picked at his food.

“He’s just a kid, plus he just got here today, don’t be so hard on him.” The guy that helped me off the floor sat down beside me. He looked over and smiled at me. “Don’t worry about it.”

“That’s what you get for messing with Crunch.” Shadows sat down next to the guy with snakebites.

“W-who’s Crunch?” I asked and the guy next to me laughed loudly.

“Crunch is the motherfucker that just kicked your ass.” He said through his laughter.

“We should’ve let him kill you.”

“Shut up Zack.” Shadows glared at the guy with snakebites, who was now identified as Zack.

“Shut up Zack.” Zack mocked Shadows, earning a sharper glare.

“Well, looks like you’re going to be sticking with us.” The guy beside me said, and I looked at him. “I’m Jimmy, but people call me The Rev.”

“Yea, he’s borderline crazy.” Zack muttered, and Jimmy pointed a finger at him.

“Hey, I passed the borderline when you came along, Vengeance.” Jimmy said and Zack looked at Shadows.

“Aren’t you going to back me up, Matt?” Zack asked Shadows, whose real name was apparently Matt.

“Fuck no, you’re on your own with crazy ass.”

“Back to the point.” Jimmy looked at me. “I take it you’ve already met Matt?” Jimmy asked and I nodded.

“We share a cell.” I said, and Zack scoffed.

“I pity the guy that shares a cell with Shads.” Zack said, and I looked up at him, then at Shadows.

“Don’t worry about it, Brian.” Jimmy said, and I looked at him.

“I haven’t told you my name yet.” I said, curious as to how he already knew my name.

“Brian, the whole prison already knows who you are, you knocked the judge unconscious. Did you not notice how they didn’t come and help when you started to get beat up?” Shadows asked and I looked at the guards, the one closest to me glanced over at me before looking at someone else across the room.

“Are they scared of me or something?” I asked and Zack laughed a little.

“Dude, they didn’t help you because they thought you could take care of yourself. They’re keeping an eye on you, but you basically have free rein.” Zack said, and I nodded slowly. But I didn’t mean to knock the judge unconscious, I was just angry, and he was the closet person to me, and he was also the person that ordered me to be locked up.

“But, since you’re also pretty young, that also makes you an easy target.” Matt said, and Jimmy nodded.

“But you seem like a good kid. You’re only…what? About twenty three?” Jimmy asked.

“Twenty four.” I corrected and he nodded.

“We’ll keep an eye on you, don’t worry.” Matt said, and I actually felt for the first time since I got here that maybe I could trust him.

After lunch was over, we were all on our way back to our cells, I said bye to Jimmy and Zack, and walked behind Matt to our cell, but before we could get there, Matt was attacked, and I was suddenly pushed down, and as soon as my head connected with the concrete I was knocked out cold.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to all of the pre-posting subscribers, and the early commentor:

Synus Sneezus

Another story, another ride to hell and back. Buckle up.

xoxo, Saleigh