Status: Complete. Thank you for reading. :)

No Matter What

Involuntary Manslaughter

Later that morning, the doctor let Matt go back to the cell. He had a limp, and couldn’t walk fast, but was otherwise fine; or so he said. Dr. Walkon wanted to keep me for another day, though. The day passed by too fast, because the doctor had prescribed a shit load of pain killers, since it hurt to move, and even breathe, and I was fucking high most of the time, or rather just knocked cold.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
^*Madison’s POV*^
I just watched Brian from behind the desk; he was completely out of it. He just stared up at the ceiling, and would fall asleep every once in a while, then wake up and stare at the ceiling until he dozed off again. Which was odd, considering we have an inmate on the far end that got his leg snapped in two, and would not stop screaming bloody murder. I just hoped the ambulance came and picked him up soon before I lost my temper and got Chuck to put a muzzle on him. I kept my eyes on Brian, watching as he stared blankly into space. I looked over at Dr. Walkon.

“Hey, are you sure you should have Haner on so many meds?” I asked, and he looked out the window at Brian. “He’s been staring right at the ceiling for nearly three hours.”

“Well, that’s what we want, to try and keep them calm, and keep them under; so they don’t freak out.” He said, and leaned back against the wall, scribbling down something in a file. I just love how he uses the word ‘them’ like all inmates aren’t human, like they’re just caged animals. Actually, most of them are, but…but something’s different about Haner. I can see it, and unless Walkon has gone blind, he has to see it too, doesn’t he?

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
^*Matt’s POV*^
“Hey, whe- dude, the fuck happened to you?” Zack cut off his sentence as I sat down at the table, feeling a sharp pain in my knee as I bent it.

“Crunch and Marsh.” I answered simply, and I looked over at Jimmy as he looked at me concerningly.

“Matt, man…you look like you got thrown off of a cliff.” Jimmy said, and I nodded.

“Thanks, you sure do know how to make someone feel good, Jim.” I said sarcastically, and he smiled, but then realized someone was missing.

“Where’s Brian?” He asked and I sighed.

“Crunch and Marsh attacked us both after lunch yesterday. He’s in meds with broken ribs, and a fractured wrist.” I said, and Zack and Jimmy both cringed.

“I told you.” Zack said to Jimmy and he just shook his head.

“Damn, I was kind of hoping you were wrong.” Jimmy said, and I looked between them both, wondering what I missed.

“I’m lost.” I said simply.

“We were talking yesterday, and I told Jimmy that Brian will probably end up in medical care by next week.” Zack said, and I nodded.

“But he ended up in there before even the day was over.” Jimmy said with a sigh.

“He won’t survive long at this pace.” Zack stated. “He was barely here for a few hours, and he already got his ass handed to him, he’ll be dead before the months over.”

“Don’t say that.” I snapped, and he looked over at me.

“Woah, what cracked the hard shell of your heart?” Zack asked, and I shook my head.

“Shut up.” I said, and looked up at him, then Jimmy. “Do you two not realize something about Brian?”

“Like what? Like the fact that he had this badass status in here for kicking the judge’s ass, and that his said badass status has basically been torn down in a little over a day?” Jimmy asked, and I nodded.

“Exactly.” I said. “I’m beginning to think something’s wrong with this picture.”

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
^*Brian’s POV*^
I stared at the ceiling, I felt like I was underwater. My hearing was watery, and like everything that was being said around me was being translated into some kind of watered down, messed up version on the English language, and my vision kept wavering. Not to mention how I couldn’t stop myself from drifting in and out on consciousness, despite the odd screams and struggling coming from the other end of the room. I just stared at the ceiling as my vision drifted back and forth along with my state of conscious. I had no clue how long I’d been in here, I wasn’t mentally here right now. I wonder how long I’ll survive in here? Hell, I’ve already been beaten to fuck and back, and I’ve been here…I’ll remember eventually. What if I get attacked again? What if they come back, and do twice the damage next time? What if next time those two guys put me in a coma or…or kill me? What will I do then? I’ll die, obviously, but that’s beside the point. Fuck it, I’m even sure if there is a point. I heard someone calling my name, but I couldn’t place the voice. I finally mustered up the energy to look over to my left as someone continued to call my name.

“What?” I asked groggily, and the woman sighed, and the look of concern left her face.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
^*Madison’s POV*^
I sighed in relief as he finally said something, taking a deep breath in the process -the first breath he had taken in a good two minutes or so- and the heart monitor stopped skipping. I picked up his wrist and checked his pulse, thankful that it was back to normal.

“Joey,” I looked over at him as he walked back in from escorting the screaming broken leg guy out of the room with the paramedics.

“Anything wrong?” He asked, walking over to where I was standing.

“Do you think you could keep a closer eye on him?” I asked, pointing at Brian, who was back to staring at the ceiling. “He nearly stopped breathing just now.”

“Sure.” Joey said, and pulled his chair back up and sat down.

“If you see him stop breathing again, come get me.” I said, and he nodded. Dr. Walkon’s wife had a heart attack, and he had to rush out of here about an hour ago.

“Yes, mother.” Joey said sarcastically. I just rolled my eyes at him.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
^*Brian’s POV*^
I watched through tired, drugged up eyes as Madison switched out IV bags. She turned to me and began talking, but I couldn’t really make out the words. They were all morphing together, and it just sounded like a jumbled mess. After a few minutes of trying to decipher what she was saying I just squeezed my eyes closed as a headache formed.

“Just shut the fuck up.” I said, and she didn’t say anything else. I opened my eyes, and she was gone. Thankful that the noise was gone, I closed my eyes, hoping to sleep off my headache. I was still drugged up as fuck, maybe when I wake up a second time I’ll be back to normal.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
“Brian, you’re free to go.” I felt someone tapping my shoulder, but I didn’t want to wake up. After a second she continued, and I finally opened my eyes, forever grateful that I didn’t feel like I was underwater, and that all of the words coming out of Madison’s mouth weren’t slurring, and sounding like another language. I rubbed my eyes with my free hand, taking notice of the sunlight bleeding through the Plexiglas windows. I went to sit up, but winced slightly. “Careful.” Madison grabbed my arm, and helped me sit up.

“Goddamn lazy ass security guards.” They should’ve done something when they say me getting beat up.

“You’re supposed to stay in your cell for the rest of the day today, and those so called ‘lazy ass guards’ will bring your lunch to you.” Madison said, and I stood up. “Joey, he can’t go anywhere while he’s handcuffed to the bed.” Madison looked over at a guard sitting in a chair, and he stood up, eyeing me cautiously.

“Right, sorry.” He said, and unlocked the cuff from around my hand, and I stood up, immediately feeling the aftermath of the beating in my torso.

“I am going to get anything for the pain?” I asked, wincing as I held an arm around my rib cage.

“You get two Extra Strength Tylenol at twelve thirty PM every day for the next month.” Madison said, still holding onto my arm. I was glad she was, because I felt that if she let go I would be on the ground screaming and withering in pain.

“That’s it?”

“That’s it.” She let go of my arm, and the guard immediately grabbed my other arm. “Joey, show him back to his cell.” And with that she walked away, and ‘Joey’ led me out, walking a little too fast, so technically he was just dragging me behind him, as I winced every step.

“Hey, slow down some, I can barely walk.” I demanded, and he flinched slightly at my sudden outburst.

“I don’t take orders from you.” He said, keeping his fast walk. I grabbed his arm, sinking my short nails into his flesh, desperate for him to slow down, because I had to breathe fast and my ribs were killing me. He immediately grabbed my other arm, twisting them both behind my back as he stay behind me, not letting go of my arms as he walked me forward.

“The fuck is up with the sudden police brutality?” I asked, but I didn’t receive an answer. I continued to try and get him to slow down, and stop pushing, but he never did. By the time we got to Matt and I’s cell, he was pissed, he shoved me in forcefully, his hands on the back of my ribcage, and I fell forward, not being able to catch myself as I landed on the concrete. He slammed the door back, and walked off.

“Look who’s back, the princess.” I heard Matt say, and I just rolled over in the floor, trying not to cry. God I don’t fucking belong here. I never have belonged here. I took short, shallow breaths, hoping the pain would go away, or I’d just pass out eventually. I don’t like it here. At all. I’d rather be in the medical center. “Hey man, I was just kidding. My god, you don’t need to fucking cry about it.” I heard Matt say and I wiped my eyes.

“I’m not crying, I’m in excruciating pain.” I muttered, try to sit up, but I couldn’t.

“You look like hell.” Matt said, staring down at me from the top bunk.

“I fell like hell.” I muttered, still trying to regulate my breathing. It wasn’t working right.

“Brian, if you keep breathing like that you’re going to pass out.” Matt said matter-of-factly.

“I sure fucking hope so.” I said, and took a really deep breath, and got up from the floor, leaning on the bed for support.

“You alright?” Matt asked, and I nodded.

“Fine, just, you know…feeling like I’m dying.” I muttered, and slowly laid down, letting out a sigh as some of the pain resided.

“Rev and Vengeance were worried about you.” Matt said, disappearing form view. Those two worry about me? I don’t think so.

“Really?”

“Not really, I just thought that would make you feel a little better. They actually knew you would get beat up sometime by the end of the week.” Matt said, and I sighed.

“Wow, you really know how to make someone feel fucking special, jackass.” I muttered sarcastically, and he looked down into my bunk.

“What did you say?” He asked with a slight glare.

“Just shut the fuck up, and let me go to sleep.” I said crankily. I was exhausted just from the long walk here; the last thing I want to put up with is Shadows arrogant persona.

“You’re lucky you’re already hurt.” He growled, and disappeared again.

“Fuck you.” I muttered, but I he didn’t say anything back. Maybe I finally got to him. I wish I wasn’t here. I really do. Maybe if I’m lucky I’ll get attacked by Crunch and Marsh again, and they’ll kill me this time around. I can’t live in here, and so far, I don’t see any parole within the next three to four years. I can’t believe I’m locked up in here for involuntary manslaughter. Involuntary. That’s the key word there. Involuntary manslaughter; where the killer did not mean for death to be the result of his intentional actions. I only wanted to keep my mother safe, that was all. If I knew he didn’t have a knife, I wouldn’t have pulled the trigger. Or at least I didn’t think I would have…
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to all of the readers, subscribers, and special thanks to the commentors:

Star Angel
lyss89
Vampire vengeance
amodernmyth88
fiction;
MoMo_92
ashadowedchazly

Okay guys, I think that most, if not all of you have seen by now that I've changed the name of this story to No Matter What. The reason for the name change is because I finished writing this story last night, and there are 16 chapters IN ALL, and throughout the story I noticed how I really strayed from the title, and realized that basically, I had subconsciously gone towards writing a twisted, fucked up, insane story that touches on Papa Roach's song, No Matter What. Which still scares the shit out of me to think about, because I hadn't listened to that song in a year or so until it came up on my iPhone yesterday while I was writing chapter 16. And then everything sort of clicked in my mind. And then as I write this, I'm watching the music video for the first time ever and just...fuck my subconscious. Fuck my memory, fuck my subconscious mind, fuck me just...goddammit, fuck everything.

In short, out of fear of, 'Oh my god, I've written the wrong story for the title Wrongfully Accused', and realization, I changed the title from 'Wrongfully Accused' to 'No Matter What' to fit and adapt to the story better.

Hope you guys understand, and now I'm going to go repeatedly slam my head in a door. c:

xoxo, Saleigh