Fear of the Dark

It All Depends

Just Outside of Southern Wyoming


The sound of the Impala filled the older brother's ears. It was silent, and Dean felt like utter crap. Hell was unleashed and demons flew out of Hell before Ellen and Bobby could close the door. Dean stared straight at the road, thinking of the previous events. The demon the brothers and their father had been hunting was dead. Now what? They did have an army of demons to fight, but the problem was they didn't know where to start. The previous spoken words by Azazel made Dean dizzy. What was he talking about Sam being one hundred percent Sam? It made no sense. Sam was of course himself. Then he thought when his father helped them kill the demon even if it was his spirit. Dean was glad to have seen their father one last time. He was sure Sam was too. Dean looked over at his brother. Sam's eyes were closed and light snoring came from him. Dean smiled and turned to look at the road again.

He saved his brother, and paid with his soul to a demon. Dean couldn't be alone in the world full of horrible creatures without his brother. It was Sam who kept him sane from all the things they would witness every day. And he would need him now more than ever. An army full of demons were sure as hell going to try and destroy the world, or perhaps something worse. Dean knew demons too damn well to know they weren't going to stay on earth to do a greater good. It was his job, Sam's job, to send those sons of bitches back to where they came from.


Heber City, Utah

Dean stopped the impala and shook Sam's shoulder. He watched as his brother rubbed his eyes and looked around trying to figure out where they were. They had just arrived at a motel in Heber City, Utah. The sign read Mac's Motel. The two brothers walked out of the car, Dean locking it behind him. They had grabbed their things and entered the motel. Behind a counter, a lady about in her mid thirties looked at her laptop, then looked at Sam and Dean. They made their way towards the counter, did their usually routine when they went to a hotel, or motel and then took their key to the room. When they got inside, they weren't surprised to find the room plain and simple just like others they've been to. Sam dropped the duffle bag on one of the beds that were set up in the room, turned and looked at his brother.

There was a small round table by the window, and Dean decided that would be a good place to start to work. He wasn't sure what the demons were going to do now that they were on earth, but until he knew, he wanted to do something. He opened Sam's laptop, then turned to look at his brother. Sam was already inside the covers of the bed, sleeping peacefully. Dean didn't want to go wake him up. He was sure Sam was exhausted. Of course he had died, Dean brought him back, they fought against Azazel and now, now he knew Dean had made a deal with a demon. It was a little too much for him to take, Dean knew that. He also wanted to make Sam understand why he did what he did to save him. Just like John had done with Dean's life. The demon at the crossroads was right, Dean hated to admit, and it infuriated him her words. Dean sure did get a better deal than his father got. A year to live before the Hellhounds came after him. A sweet, terrifying and his only last one year.

Dean started searching for recent newspaper articles, looking for any sort of weird thing in Utah. He wanted to find a job. Or something to get his mind out of what had happened. As he passed by every recent article he stopped for a while to close his eyes. It was already one in the morning, but Dean wanted to find something. He went back to searching and stopped when he saw the headliner of an article from a day ago. He clicked on the main article and read over everything. Six missing people, along with eight murders. Dean bit his lip and closed the computer screen. He had bookmarked the article so he could show Sam what was happening. Without making any noise, Dean climbed inside the bed, covering himself with the blankets and fell to a very needed sleep.

The next morning, Dean jolted awake, noticing his brother was no longer sleeping in the bed next to his. He turned his head and sighed in relief when he saw him on the table looking at his laptop. Dean pushed the blankets away and sat on the side of the bed, his hands on his face.

"Morning," Dean grumbled, getting up and stretching.

"Mornin'," Sam replied not looking away from the laptop.

Dean walked to the bathroom, getting rid of his clothing and getting a shower. Sam stared as his brother left the room and walked inside the bathroom, he took this chance to search for a way to get Dean out of the deal. He searched for a few minutes, finding nothing useful. Most of it was crap. He looked up from the laptop to Dean who had changed into different set of clothes and then made his way towards Sam.

"Found anything?" Dean asked putting his necklace back around his neck.

Sam shook his head and looked at the screen. "No, actually."

"Well I did. Move," Dean said pushing Sam slightly a bit. Sam stood up and let his older brother take a seat. He watched when Dean clicked on a bookmarked link that took him to an article. "Look."

"Six missing, eight murders." Sam repeated what the article said. "Huh, right after Hell broke." Dean nodded.

"Uh huh, so I say we go check it out." Dean said grabbing his gun from under the pillow and placing it behind his jeans.


Dean parked the impala on the sidewalk, Sam getting out after him. Both of them were dressed in their FBI suits, and had badges ready for showing. They walked inside police department, Dean looking around. They approached the main counter, behind sat a man eating a sandwich. He stood up and looked at the brothers.

"Can I help you?" The man asked.

"Agents Kottak and Meine." Dean said showing the sheriff their badges.

"FBI, huh." Sam and Dean nodded. "You guys here for the missing persons and murders?" They nodded again.

"Yeah. We'd like to see-"

"The reports?" Sam nodded. The man walked back to an office, Sam and Dean waited for a little and watched as the man approached them with a few folders in his hands. "Here. They're copies." The man said crossing his arms across his chest.

"Thanks," Sam said taking the files.

The two brothers walked outside the police department and climbed inside the car. Dean looked over at Sam.

"Did that guy seem a little-"

"Rude?" Dean nodded. "Yeah. But we've dealt with more rude people before, it's probably nothing."

Dean shrugged and turned on the impala, driving back to the motel. Sam walked inside the motel room, Dean behind him. Sam sat down on the table and spread out each of the missing people profiles and their missing reports, along with the murder reports. He stared at all of them, reviewing them and trying to figure out a connection between all of the people. He looked up from the scattered papers and watched Dean grab his wallet and put it inside his pockets.

"Where are you going?" Sam asked.

"Check out the bodies." Dean replied with a shrug of his shoulders.

He walked out of the motel room and stepped outside, going inside his car. He drove off to the hospital. He was granted entrance to the morgue part of the hospital after showing his fake FBI badge. The doctor walked by him as they entered the morgue.

"Here's the first victim." The doctor pulled out the body. Dean inspected it from head to toe.

"Cause of death?" Dean asked.

"I'm not so sure, actually." The doctor said looking at the body. "But he did have a bite on his neck."

Dean cocked his head and watched as the doctor turned the dead man's head. There was a bite, from what Dean assumed was a vampire. He sighed and took his hand from his pocket rubbing his face in frustration.


Dean continued to drive down the street, looking straight at the road. Vampires. He thought they were finished with vampires. Those things annoyed the living Hell out of Dean. He shook his head and sighed. The last thing he wanted to worry about were vampires. He wanted to know why the vampires decided to start hunting now, since Dean hadn't heard anything that had vampires in them. But now they were here and he and Sam had to stop them. He made a turn and parked the car, getting out and walking inside the motel room.

"So," Sam started.

"Vamps." Dean replied taking the tux jacket off. Sam looked up from the files in front of him and stared at Dean. He watched as Dean loosened the tie around his neck and flopped down on the neatly made bed. "Find any connection between the vics and the missing people?"

"Yeah," Sam replied. He stood up and grabbed the files in his hands. He handed them to Dean and sighed. "All of them were in their mid thirties, recently unemployed. And they all had some sort of connection with the victims."

"What?"

"Yeah, either business associates, friends, family members." Sam sighed.

"But how does that connect with the vamps?" Dean looked over at his brother.

Sam shrugged and took the files away from Dean, getting them back to the table and sitting down. He looked over at the papers again for the 30th time that same day. Just as much as Dean, Sam didn't get it. Somehow this didn't add up. But perhaps the vampires took those six people as hostages. But it wasn't like them to do that. They probably turned them. That could be it, but if they did, why did they murder the other eight? He thought of another reason, maybe they needed food. But they had plenty of that, and it was rare for vampires to be in Utah.

"I'm not sure. This is weird, man." Sam said.

"Yep."


* * *

It was dark and the flashing lights of the car were the only source of light upon the street. The car was turned off and Linda Walker climbed out of her car. She set the car alarm on and walked to the front door of her house. As she unlocked it, Linda turned looking around her neighborhood. Shaking her head, she walked inside the dark home. She closed the door and locked it, setting the alarm system on. Linda had turned the lights on, and hung her bag on the coat rack. Sighing, she walked to the bathroom, washing her face and removing her makeup. It had been a long day at the motel. She always hated that job, but it was the only available at the moment and she needed money fast. Linda walked outside the bathroom, turning the lights off. She walked to the light switch and turned the lights off in the living room. Then she made her way to her room. It was already ten thirty and she was way too tired to remove her clothing.

She climbed inside the bed, and wrapped the blankets around her body, snuggling her pillow closer. Her eyelids closed and she began to drift off. Linda jolted awake, after hearing a loud crash from within her home. The curiosity took the better of her and she got out of her bed, opening her door and stepping into the hallway. She walked down the stairs and turned on the lights. In the living room she noticed one of her vases was shattered into pieces and the flowers the vase contained were spread around the living room, along with the water. Sighing, she walked to the broken vase and started to pick up the broken pieces. As she stood up, she stepped on one missing piece of glass. Hissing, she took the broken glass from her bare foot and placed it with the rest of the broken glass in the trash can. Then sat down on the couch and looked at her bleeding foot.

"Damn it." She huffed and walked to the bathroom, taking some alcohol and a band-aid. She turned her head quickly, hearing another sound from her living room. She sat the alcohol down on the counter and dropped the band-aid.

The lights were still turned on, but she didn't see anything or anyone. She looked at her foot again and sighed in pain. Crash. She turned her head to the stairs and scrunched her eyebrows together. Without hesitation she walked up the stairs and took her time trying not to make a noise that might let the intruder know she was there. She had reached the final step and walked to her bedroom where there was another sound. She peeked inside and saw nobody. She walked inside and reached the phone, dialing 911.

"911 what is your emergency." The operator said.

"I think there might be somebody inside my house." Linda said.

"Can you give the address?"

"Yeah it's-"

Linda grabbed her head. She had been hit with something and it made her vision now blurry. She could barely make out who the intruder was. Her hand pulled away from her head and looked at the blood between her fingers. She screamed when she saw his face. His teeth were large and pointy, both rows of teeth were sharp. She felt him sink his teeth into her flesh, draining her from her blood.

* * *



Sam walked next to Dean, going through the house where a recent murder had just happened. They were informed about the victim. She was the lady that had given them their room at the motel. The two brothers looked around for something that would give them at least some clues. Dean stared at the floor, there were bloody footprints, that faded until the room where they found the woman. There were police tape and other stuff surrounding the crime scene. Sam and Dean showed the police officers their FBI badges once again, and made their way to the scene. There was blood there, some splattered in the curtains. Dean walked around checking everywhere for anything. Sam did the same but with the other half of the room.

"Sam," Dean called.

Dean placed his fingers to touch the sulfur on the side of the window. Even from when they entered the room, Dean knew he smelled rotten eggs. He showed Sam the powder in his fingers and nodded at Sam's reaction. Dean got up and wiped his fingers clean from the sulfur, and the two brothers walked outside the room, out the house and straight into their car, where they drove off to the hospital. They asked if they could see the body of Linda Walker. And after being granted access, and the doctor knowing Dean, he showed them the body.

"I'll leave you to it," the doctor said and walked out of the morgue.

Sam and Dean walked over to the small drawers in the room, taking some white gloves. As they put them on their hands, they walked closer to the corpse, and Sam turned the woman's head.

"Huh," Sam said inspecting the bite. "Vampire bite, but that still doesn't explain the sulfur in the room."

"This whole thing doesn't add up," Dean frowned.

"It's possibility that a demon and a vampire could be working together." Sam said.

"Yeah, maybe." Dean looked away from the body.

The two walked out of the morgue and out of the hospital, making their way to a local restaurant. They sat down on an empty table and looked at the menu. A waitress came over to them, and eyed Dean and Sam.

"What can I get you two?" She asked.

Dean looked over at her and smiled. "I'll have the special and a beer." He looked over at Sam. "He'll take the salad and a-"

"Beer." Sam interrupted . The waitress smiled and walked away.

"Oh look at Sam, feeling all high and mighty," Dean mocked.

"Shut up." Sam said earning a chuckle from Dean.

"Well, I don't know what's going on." Dean said. "And I'm pretty good with this stuff. Any ideas?"

Sam shook his head. "Uh, no, but I know where we can start looking."


The two made their way inside the police department, getting inside one of the open windows. They had managed to search every little place inside the department, without any luck on what would be happening. At last Dean sat down and sighed in frustration. Sam looked over at him and rolled his eyes.

"Dean." Sam said.

"What? I'm tired." Dean replied, sighing.

The two brothers turned their heads at the sound of a door opening and closing. Sam and Dean went inside a room full of old boxes and files scattered around. Dean closed the door quietly and stood back. The window was glass, but with this texture that made it blurry for the other side to be recognizable. They watched as the lights turned on and later two shadows passed through the window. As the two people in the police department started talking, Dean tried his best to overhear the conversation. But it was like they were talking in a whisper. He walked closer to the door and put his ear on the wood.

"No, of course not." One male spoke.

"You weren't suppose to kill anymore. We said eight, and only eight." A female voice spoke.

"But we needed-"

"I don't care. We made a deal. Now, no more or the deal is off." The female voice said. "I don't even know why we made an arrangement with you vampires. You can't contain yourselves. One little drop of blood and you go coo-coo."

Another shadow passed through the door, causing Dean to move some stuff.

"Damn it." Dean muttered silently.

From the other side, footsteps approached the door. Sam and Dean had to find a place to hide and quickly, also had to do it quietly or they could get caught. Sam found a small space behind a few stacked boxes, where he hunched over and tried to make himself as small as he could. Dean found it more convenient to hide himself behind a desk with boxes stacked on top. They stayed quiet at the sound of the door opening.

"Rats." A male voice, different from the one that was talking before. The door shut and the brothers could hear the three pairs of feet leave the department and exit through the main door.

Sam got up from where he was hiding and went on to help Dean, now stuck. They walked out of the door and looked around. They looked at each other and left the police department, exiting and getting back inside the car. Dean looked at the street.

"Why would they be talking about a deal?" Sam asked moving in his seat.

"I don't know. Doesn't this just seem weird to you?" Dean looked over at Sam. "I mean come on, it can't just be me."

"No uh, I think there might be something else."

They drove in silence for the rest of the drive back to the motel. As they arrived, Dean parked the impala, turning the lights off and the car itself. They exited the car, Dean going around the car and walking behind his brother.

"What I don't get is why would they kill and take?" Sam questioned as they walked through the door. He turned the lights on and immediately the two brothers were caught and restrained from moving.

"Oh you Winchesters always trying to get in the way of things." the female voice from the department said from the bathroom.

Sam and Dean now sitting back to back in chairs and tied, watched the three demons in the room. Sam looked at the round table, noticing the sheriff from the department, the one that gave them the files, was sitting down, not moving. He frowned. Dean rolled his eyes and looked at the lady that walked out from the bathroom. The waitress from the restaurant came forward and looked at Dean. She wasn't dressed in her restaurant outfit she had before. She was only wearing a black skirt and a button up white shirt. And her hair wasn't in a ponytail anymore, it was loose and the blonde hair curled at the ends. She smiled and turned to look at Sam.

"You two gotta check how you hide. It was easy to spot the big trailer and the leg." She laughed. "Maybe we should teach you some better ways to hide. Make it more exciting, don't you think?"

"Go to hell." Dean muttered.

"Oh I've been there, not so much fun after a while. Figured I take my chance to get out after you two clowns opened the door." She smiled. "Oh yeah, thanks for that."

"What do you want?" Sam asked.

"Actually a lot of things, but knowing you two stubborn heads I won't get it easily."

"Yep." Dean said smiling at her.

"See? Jeez, couldn't help for you to be nicer." She said.

"Be nice to a demon?" Dean chuckled. "In another dimension sister, here we want you dead."

"Whatever. Hey but look who's the one tied and restrained? Not me, certainly not them or that poor excuse of a vampire over there." She said turning her head to the sheriff who just sat there and said nothing.

"Tell me something. A deal with a vampire? We didn't think of you demons to be like that." Sam said.

The demon shrugged. "Worth a try. Was that a waste. But it gave us some time."

"Time for what?" Dean asked.

"That, big boy, is for me to know, and for you to never find out." She smiled.

"I can assure you, we'll find out and we'll come after you."

By this time, Dean had managed to loosen the ropes that restrained his hands from moving. Truth was, demons weren't the best at tying knots, something both Sam and Dean were grateful. Dean watched the demon girl walk back to the bathroom. He sat down for a little bit, and watched the other three demons in the room, then looked over at the vampire. He rolled his eyes and sat quietly. The demon walked back out and Dean stared at her.

"I figured we kill you right now, and we don't have to worry about you two." She looked over at Sam and Dean. "How's that sound for fun?"

Sam huffed. "If you wanted to kill us you would of already." Sam looked at her. "You're not capable are you? Truth is, your still not strong enough."

The demon growled and slapped Sam in the face.

"I'll kill you both right now!" She screamed.

"I have a better idea." Dean said, getting up from the seat and punching the three demons coming after him.

Dean ran over to the demon girl, only to be stopped right in his tracks as he watched the demon leave the girl's body, leaving the now dead girl on the floor. He turned to look over at the other three demons, them too, leaving the bodies, again leaving limp corpses. Dean watched his brother groan in pain, and walked over to him untying him and then taking his gun, pointing it to the vampire. Slowly, Dean walked over at him and notice he wasn't even breathing. He grabbed the man's head and looked at his throat. It was slit and now more blood was coming out of the cut. He opened his mouth and saw the pointy teeth.

"Well this one's dead." Dean muttered.

"Huh, demons." Sam laughed.

"Yeah, demons. Do we really have to-"

"Yes, Dean."

"God, we never get a break." Dean sighed and sat down. "Do you think there's a nest somewhere?"

"Doubt it. He would of have back up." Sam said looking at Dean. "Besides, you heard what they said at the police department."

Dean nodded. "Yeah you're right. Well I am exhausted." He threw himself on the bed and closed his eyes.

"Dean."

"What?"

"We can't stay here."

"Why not?" Dean asked. There was a moment of silence before Dean opened his eyes and sighed. "Oh yeah."



Sam now driving the impala looked over at Dean. He had fallen asleep as soon as they hit the road. Sam shook his head and turned away from his brother driving down the road. He wondered so much why Dean had sold his soul in return for his life. Sam's time was up, he was alright with that, but he couldn't live without his brother. No, not now. He needed to find a way to get Dean out of the deal. He wasn't going to give up, just like Dean didn't give up on him. One year, he got with his brother before he was dragged to Hell. Sam wasn't going to let that happen though. No matter what he was going to find a way to break that deal.