Status: Workin' on it (:

First Impressions

Felt Like Forever

"Janie?" Lizzie asked tentatively, laying a hand on her sister's shoulder as she looked out the bay window of the living room, westwards towards Netherfield. Lizzie had given Jane Patrick's envelope a few minutes ago and had left the room to give her some alone time. Now, her eldest sister sat motionless on the built-in bench, her white shirt blending with the colorless wall. In her hand lay Patrick's letter, limply held through frail fingers.

"He's gone," said Jane finally, turning towards Lizzie. She cleared her throat formally, sitting up to summarize the letter to her. "Um, he said he needed to get back to Buffalo sooner than he thought to help with Erica and Mark's wedding, and then there's having to help Jessica move to Chicago..." she scanned the letter, desperately trying to maintain a stable tone. "And Jonathan was eager to get back to Winnipeg, I guess he needed to see his family- and of course, off-season workouts..."

Jane trailed off, folding the letter and grabbing the envelope it came in. As she pulled it from underneath, a gold chain slipped out onto the hardwood floor, landing at Lizzie's feet. 

"What's this?" she held it up for Jane to see, examining the small, matching pendant on the necklace, portraying an engraved figure.

"I-it's Pat's," Jane said shakily as Lizzie dropped it into her open palm. "It's Saint Sebastian, patron of athletes. His grandfather gave it to him the day he was drafted."

"Oh, Jane," Lizzie tried to console her sister, but was surprised when she looked up at her with an expressionless face. "Are you alright?"

"Was it really meant to last?" Jane questioned, and proceeded to respond herself, tucking her hair back behind her ear in fibbing habit. "He's a superstar, this unimaginably famous man...and I am Jane," her voice shrank. "Small town girl perpetually destined to be employed by her parents and live here forever."

"No," Lizzie firmly stated, taking Jane's hands in hers. "You are Jane, talented art curator, devastatingly beautiful and unbelievably kind. And I know he sees all of that, I know he cannot live without all of that." 

The jingle of the door chimes below caused both sisters to jerk in alertness, though both were disappointed after realizing it must be Henry Wickham calling. 

"Go and have a good time," Jane smiled and patted Lizzie's hand. 

"Are you sure? I'll raincheck."

"No, no, don't do that to Henry! Besides, you've spent far too much time getting gorgeous to waste it all on me." 

Lizzie hesitated, but finally stood up, grabbing her purse on the way out. 

"See you," she turned back to Jane, who was blankly staring at the gold chain in her hand. "Jane, I love you."

"I love you too," she called softly as Lizzie walked out the door. 

"Speechless," Henry pronounced as he watched Lizzie walk towards him. "You are so beautiful, I have no words."

"Yet you are in fact, speaking," Lizzie teased him, greeting him with a kiss on the cheek. 

Henry had dressed in a pair of khakis and a navy, striped button down shirt. He smelled of fresh aftershave and linen, some of Lizzie's favorite scents. And while she knew she'd been excitedly anticipating this evening for the last nine hours since he'd called, Lizzie knew she'd be giving it up for good reason.

"You okay?" Henry's expression changed to concern as he read the look on Lizzie's face.

"I'm sorry," Lizzie sighed. "I can't go out tonight...Patrick left. And Jane, well, she needs me right now."

"He left? Why?"

"As of ten minutes ago. And I guess he has a lot of upcoming obligations..."

"Is Jane alright?"

"She says she is, but-" Lizzie paused. "I know she needs me."

Henry nodded.

"I guess this is goodbye, then."

"What do you mean?"

"I leave tomorrow morning," Henry explained. "I've overstayed."

Lizzie's heart dropped at his words.

"You mean, back to Toronto?"

"If I drive all day, I'll be back in two," he nodded. "I need to settle in, find a job, things like that."

Lizzie bit her lip. She probably would never see Henry again, what was the harm in an hour-long dinner? Jane would still be here when she got back. 

"As much as I want to go out with you, I really can't," Lizzie decided sadly. Henry gave her a disappointed but understanding smile and pulled her into a hug.

"It was a pleasure getting to know you, Lizzie Bennet," he said, taking her hands. "Let me know if you're ever in Toronto."

"I will," she promised, kissing him on the cheek.

He squeezed her hand tightly before turning to walk away. 

And that's that, Lizzie thought to herself, watching him walk down the street, hands stuffed into his pockets. She turned to walk upstairs, and ran straight into her mother in the hallway once the door closed behind her.

"Lizzie, I thought you were going out with that Henry-person," Mrs. Bennet looked at her, surprised at her daughter's quick return. Not that she minded; Henry didn't have two pennies to rub together to support her daughter. 

"Change of plans," Lizzie said quietly.

"Well, dinner is ready in five minutes, so go ahead and clean up," said Mrs. Bennet. "And tell Jane."

Obviously her mother had not yet discovered that her favorite part-time Netherfield residents were no longer here, Lizzie thought to herself, and headed to her bedroom.

"Jane?" Lizzie stepped into a dark bedroom, except for the faint light emitting from a string of Christmas lights. Jane's figure was curled up in her duvet, and Lizzie placed herself gently on the mattress, wrapping her arms around her sister.

A puddle of tears stained the pillow Jane's head sat upon, her long strawberry-blonde hair cascading across it. Her body shook as she failed miserably at holding in her emotions.

"He kissed me today on the boat," she whispered. "Why would he kiss me, and then leave?"

"I- I don't know," said Lizzie, shocked that Jane had revealed such a thing to her. She inhaled deeply before speaking again. "All I know is," she racked her brain for something suitable to assure Jane that the world was right again. "If two people are really meant to be together forever, they will be. Even if they have to be separated for them to realize it." 

"What happens if one of them wants forever, and the other one doesn't?"

To that, Lizzie only held her sister tighter. 
♠ ♠ ♠
I know it sucks. But I hate this part of Pride and Prejudice, and subconciously I'm rushing through my writing so I can get to the good stuff haha.

I hope you all have read Pride and Prejudice. Or seen the movie. OR WATCHED THE LIZZIE BENNET DIARIES ON YOUTUBE. <----- Best version yet. lizziebennet.

Anyhow, thanks for the reads! And the comments! (: xoxo