Status: Workin' on it (:

First Impressions

Change of Plans

"Maybe you should open it," Lizzie suggested timidly, and Mrs. Bennet agreed enthusiastically.

Jane glanced at her family hesitantly before ripping open the envelope. It was one of those large manila kinds, which Lizzie took as a good sign. Jane pulled out the cover letter and scanned it carefully before clearing her throat to inform Lizzie and Mrs. Bennet of the contents. 

"I've been accepted into an internship program," she said, immediately glaring at Mrs. Bennet, surprising everyone. Only in rare cases did Jane Bennet ever glare. "Mom, I can't believe you sent my papers without permission!"

"Oh Jane, I have no idea what you're talking about!" Mrs. Bennet answered honestly, but Jane took her response with an aggressive return.

"Stop meddling into my life!" Jane snapped, causing everyone's eyes to widen. "Maybe if you do, I'll actually be happy!"

She pushed past her mother and stalked upstairs, but not before slamming the envelope down on the counter. Lizzie had little time to react, truly taken aback by Jane's surprising outburst. Mrs. Bennet turned to her, wearing a similar, though more knowing glare as her eldest daughter. 

"Fix this," she pointed a finger at Lizzie menacingly, to which she wordlessly nodded.

Upstairs, Lizzie found Jane lying motionless across her bed, her long tresses askew across the pillow. She was visibly in tears. 

"I did it, not Mom," Lizzie confessed, sitting at the foot of the bed. Jane didn't respond, so she continued. "Look, I didn't apply just because it's Chicago. I did it because I didn't want you to spend another year in the U.P. wasting away your talents!" she sighed. "And...I guess I was kinda selfish, too. But think about it! The move wouldn't be so terrible, and we could get an apartment together! There are millions of people in Chicago, I doubt you'll ever see-" she paused, deciding to omit Patrick's name. "-anyone you recognize...And come on, it's an internship, but it probably pays just as much as that San Diego job, but you'll be working at a better institution and get a faster head start and-"

"What if I want to see him?"

"Hm?"

"Patrick," Jane sat up, running a hand through her hair. "You said I wouldn't have to see him since the city's so big...but what if I want to?"

"Then call him up and say you found a job in Chicago!" Lizzie laughed. "And he'll come running, I'm sure of it."

"I don't want to look desperate," Jane confessed. "Like I need him or anything."

"Then don't call him up," Lizzie said firmly. "Do whatever you want concerning Patrick. But whatever you do, it shouldn't concern your decision to take the internship."

Jane reached for the envelope that Lizzie had brought up with her, slowly going through the stack of information. She carefully read through the letters and forms, letting Lizzie sit there anxiously. Finally, after a full five minutes Jane stood up suddenly, heading towards the door. 

"Where are you going?" Lizzie asked.

"I'm going to get my laptop. To look for apartments. Come on."

Lizzie stared at her, a wide smile slowly forming on her face. 

"What about San Diego? The beach?"

Jane shrugged nonchalantly. 

"Lake Michigan's enough water for me to handle."
♠ ♠ ♠
Super short, and very delayed. Sorry! I'm in the middle of writing the next chapter, so never fear, updates will come frequently once again! (: