Status: Workin' on it (:

First Impressions

Transition

"That's the last of them!" Jane huffed, plopping down one of three cardboard boxes taking up room on the bare mattress. On the hardwood floor beside her were many more, some still sealed. In the kitchen, they were all ripped away of tape as Jane carefully unpacked the bubble-wrapped plates and glasses. 

"We got away with just one broken cup!" she called triumphantly toward Jane's bedroom once she examined the cracked glass in her hand.

"Success," Jane grinned back at her. 

The apartment the Bennet sisters had leased could be considered a steal. The two-bedroom Rogers Park walkup was closer to Evanston than the Art Institute, but Jane didn't mind the simple task of taking the Metra downtown. It was a vibrant, intellectual neighborhood both sisters felt they could thrive in. The place itself was old, but in good condition with recent renovations such as new appliances and floors. Already, Lizzie could feel themselves making a new home for themselves in Chicago. Jane now busied herself in the living room by arranging her artwork and family photographs.

By the last week of August, Chicago had cooled down dramatically following a blazing June and July. Lizzie opened the door out to their small balcony and a warm breeze tickled her face. Glancing southward down the street, Lizzie could see the classic Chicago skyline towering in the dusky sky, streaked in orange and pink. 

"I forgot, you've never been at the top of the Sears Tower, have you?" Jane asked, coming outside.

Lizzie shook her head, recalling the last time she'd been in Chicago. She was barely five, Jane six when the Bennet Family took a vacation to the Windy City one summer. Unfortunately on the last day, Lizzie had gotten sick and was left at the hotel with her mother and a screaming toddler Kit while Charles and Jane took on the Sears Tower themselves. 

Despite falling ill, that vacation was what always drew Lizzie to the city. When she'd been accepted to Northwestern, she was ecstatic. It was as if she was destined to live in Chicago, and now that Jane was here, it became even more clear where she belonged. 

She glanced over at Jane, her eyes falling to her neck, where a gold chain hung. It was tucked under her shirt, but Lizzie knew Patrick's pendant was at the end of it. 

"Are you glad we're here?" she asked, hoping Jane didn't already regret moving to Chicago.

"Of course I am," Jane assured her, a hand instantly reaching up to run a part of the chain through her fingers. Lizzie knew she was thinking of Patrick right then. "Even with everything...I mean, you know he's probably not even in town right now? And then it's training camp, exhibition games...really, he's not even here most of the year."

But his face is plastered on nearly every billboard, Lizzie thought to herself. Not to mention those credit card and car commercials. And during playoff runs, jerseys frequented various statues in Chicago, including those lions guarding the doors of the Art Institute...

"This city is not defined by Patrick Kane," Lizzie told Jane firmly. "And neither are you."

Jane blinked at her for a second before nodding in what Lizzie assumed was understanding. But she knew Jane was worried about the same things Lizzie was at that moment, and she now was anxious for her sister's return to happiness more than ever. It was as if Jane sat in a limbo of little contentment, still bogged down by a broken heart.

"You know what I think we need?" Lizzie stood up from leaning over the balcony rail. "Retail therapy."

---
"I don't understand how you'll be able to walk in those," Lizzie stared at Jane while she tried on black pumps with strikingly high heels at Water Tower Place the next day. 

"When you become a high-power attorney, you will realize the importance of heels," Jane said, to which Lizzie rolled her eyes.

"I mean, I do," Lizzie replied. "It's just that I prefer some good ol' Keds, you know?"

"Well so do I," Jane laughed, placing the heels back in the box, deeming them too expensive. "But heels do wonders for my legs."

Lizzie wasn't sure how Jane could look any more beautiful, but nodded while flicking through a rack of blouses. The sisters pondered the trendy boutique silently for the next several minutes until-

"Jessica?" Came Jane's voice, calling out timidly against the echoing walls. Lizzie's head snapped up instantly and her eyes fell on the raven-haired girl she assumed they'd never see again.

Jessica Kane paused, and already Lizzie could sense her slight guilt. It was easy to see everyone in the spacious but clutterless boutique; while Jane was too nice to think Jessica was ignoring them and had nearly exited through the door, Lizzie knew better.

"Wow, Jessica, it's good to see you," Lizzie mustered up sweetly, shooting Patrick's sister a bright smile. "How've you been?"

"Oh, just great," Jessica adjusted the hem of her shirt, as the sisters took turns embracing her. "Jane, are you visiting Lizzie at school?"

"Actually, I'm about to start my job here, in Chicago," Jane replied. "An curating internship at the Art Institute."

"Ah," Jessica paused. "So it's like a paid internship?"

"Yes- I mean, it's not much, but you know," Jane stumbled. "It's a job, and I can't wait to start."

"How's your new job?" Lizzie turned the conversation onto Jessica. "Fashion, right?" 

"Mhm," Jessica nodded, checking her matte nail polish for chips. "It's really fantastic. I mean, I've only been there for a couple of weeks but I've got a nice office to myself. Kinda hectic though," she laughed. "But I guess I had enough practice running around being maid of honor for Erica."

"Oh, how was the wedding?" Jane asked excitedly.

"It was absolutely gorgeous," Jessica nearly bragged. "They're honeymooning in Cancun right now- gift from Pat, you know." 

Nerve struck, Lizzie thought as Jane tensed up next to her.

"Oh, that's really kind of him," Jane managed to squeak out. "Uh, how is Pat?"

"God, he's super busy," Jessica huffed dramatically. "It's nonstop working out, getting ready for the season and all that with Jon. I've only seen him twice since moving here, and I'm his sister!" 

"Oh, so he's in town already?" Jane looked taken aback, but smiled hopefully. "You know, we should all go out sometime, catch up." 

"Yeah, yeah," Jessica agreed half-heartedly, gazing at Jane with what Lizzie took as a pitiful smile. "I mean, he's being pretty antisocial at the moment, but I'll let him know you guys are here."

She glanced towards the door and took the moment to plan her exit.

"Listen, it was sooo good seeing the two of you, but I need to get back to the office," she placed her oversized sunglasses back on the bridge of her nose. "But Jane, I'll give you a call, kay? Good seeing you, Liz."

With that, she glided out of the boutique, leaving the sisters to quietly stand at the entrance, Jane, frozen from the just-unfolded incident and Lizzie, unsure of how to return to normalcy.

"She's not going to call," Jane finally said, returning to the rack of skirts. 

"So? Call her," Lizzie replied. "Better yet, call him."

"He doesn't want to see me."

"You don't know that."

Jane remained silent while Lizzie mulled over the statement she just delivered. How did they know? Truth was, the awkward run-in with Jessica sealed the deal on the end of Jane and Patrick's relationship. The "friends" Jane had made over the summer clearly wanted nothing to do with them.

"Let's head over to Aldo," Jane decided, gesturing towards the door, not waiting for Lizzie as she stepped out. Her whole attitude changed with that encounter; Lizzie's heart hurt seeing Jane like this. 

"Someday, someone will love you and much as you love him," Lizzie whispered after Jane, not intending for her sister to hear. "And he will never dare let you go."
♠ ♠ ♠
Tazer will make an appearance very, very soon (: