Status: Workin' on it (:

First Impressions

Instant Captivation

The way Patrick Kane approached the Bennet House Cafe was slightly similar in style of Ian from My Big Fat Greek Wedding: He, along with his begrudging posse, began familiarizing themselves with the town that early afternoon by walking the minimal streets to find a late lunch. In passing the cafe, Patrick peered in, eyes immediately settling on Jane, who was waiting tables with her permanent soft smile and virtuous nature. He slowed enough to get a good look at more than just her backside, and immediately stopped when Jane turned her face toward the window. And Patrick was sold.
His friends had now wandered around the corner, but Patrick called them back, gesturing to the cafe's front door. The two women, well- if not slightly over-dressed out of a J-Crew catalogue, stared hesitantly at the colorful interior before Patrick pressed them again. Lizzie, from her position at the espresso bar, saw Jonathan Toews glance down the street one last time  at the diner by the square before reluctantly following Patrick inside.

"Hello," Jane came forward to greet the group. Underneath her Bennet House green apron, she wore a white blouse and dark wash skinny jeans, making her look even more angelic. "Table for five?"

"Unless you'd like to join us," said Patrick, with a sly grin. Lizzie nearly snorted at his ridiculous return, but Jane laughed lightly and turned on her heel to seat the group instead. The two women rolled their eyes, now realizing why Patrick had been so eager to eat in this establishment.

Jane remained unfazed, Lizzie noted respectfully, of the two celebrity athletes in front of her as she listed off the lunchtime specials and took drink orders. When she retreated, Patrick's eyes remained fixated on her sister. Fortunately, it wasn't a hungry-like fixation, but rather one of awe, like most men were left with in the presence of Jane Bennet. Still, Lizzie didn't trust the star player (she giggled at her clever double entendre) to make any honest advances with Jane. 

In the meantime, Eddie, the delivery boy walked in, meeting warm greetings of most of the customers in the cafe. There was an end-of-the-season soccer team picnic at the high school and the Bennet House was asked to deliver a few dozen signature sandwiches.

"Lizzie, I have two soy lattes," said Jane as she walked around the counter.

"For the country-club ladies over at table three?" Lizzie murmured and Jane hushed her.

"They seem polite," she said, of course, never saying anything negative about anyone. 

"So does Kaner," Lizzie whispered back. "I think if he thinks he's good, he'll get in your pants." 

Jane ignored Lizzie's abrasive suggestion, primarily because at that time, Lydia bounded down the stairs in a swimsuit coverup over her bright magenta bikini and matching wayfarer sunglasses, hastily digging into the pastry counter for a coffee cake, past Mary who manned the register.

"Lizzie, will you make me a latte?" She called. "Oh, and can I borrow the jeep?" 

"Yes and no," Lizzie replied, handing off the two soy lattes to Jane. "You don't need to drive to the lake."

"But I'm picking up Heather, and she's a mile out," Lydia whined.

"Last time I let you borrow my car, you didn't refill the tank, remember?"

"Yeah, but that was last time," Lydia looked at her with a look that read "well, obviously" as she huffed in annoyance. "Fine. Janeee," she called across the room. "Can I borrow your car, since you're the nice sister?" 

Lizze rolled her eyes, blushing slightly at Lydia's normal antics. Still, they had customers, and new ones at that. Even though she could hardly care about the superiorly-dispositioned party of five, it made her all the more aware of her family's often embarrassing nature.

"Lyd, I can take you guys," Eddie piped up before Jane could respond. His green eyes lit up hopefully as he ran a hand through his blonde-flecked hair. "If you could just wait a few more minutes for your ma to get the order ready."

Eddie, to put it simply, loved Lydia. Everybody, including her, knew so. But while Eddie was a stable constant in her life (they'd grown up together, sat next to each other in the same school all their lives, etc.) Lydia sought thrill, only resorting to teasing Eddie's emotions when she was bored. Or, when she needed him.

"Oh, Eddie, you're the best," Lydia snaked her arms around his midsection, grinning brightly. "I can always rely on you to save the day!"

Lizzie scoffed at the scene. Typical Lydia, typical Eddie. 

"Eddie, here's the order," Mrs. Bennet came out from the kitchen with a large white box, her gray bun tied up but with curly wisps hanging close her flushed, round face. "Mr. Atkins hasn't paid yet, so make sure to hold him to that. And-" she paused as her wide eyes settled on table three, where Jane was now taking everyone's lunch order. More so, it seemed she was finished, but was still engaged in conversation with the group, especially Patrick. 

Sidling over to Lizzie after waving Eddie off without further instruction, Mrs. Bennet squeaked out "Oh my, is that who I think it is? And talking to Jane?" 

"Don't, mother," Lizzie groaned. "Please."

"Well, I just want to say hello," Mrs. Bennet sniffed airily at her most sensible daughter. "Is that such a crime?"

"Maybe later?" Lizzie suggested. "Let them eat, first." 

Meanwhile, Jane returned back to the counter, face tinged like a peony. Mrs. Bennet proceeded to bustle her into the kitchen, and Lizzie couldn't resist having to hear what Jane had to say about Patrick, so she followed suit in a more covert fashion, telling Mary she had to "refill the espresso machine" from the storage room. 

"-here for the entire summer," Lizzie caught Jane telling an ecstatic Mrs. Bennet. "The two women are Patrick's sisters, Jessica and Erica, and next to Jonathan Toews is Erica's fiancé, Mark."

"And Patrick is single, I presume?" Mrs. Bennet asked hopefully, a dangerous twinkle in her eye alarmed Lizzie. 

"Does it matter that he is?" she cut in. "Mom, please don't scare them off, just because you want to set us up-"

"What makes you think I would do that?" Mrs. Bennet demanded to know, her tone all-too innocent. "Besides, it's every mother's wish to see her daughters married off to rich, successful men."

"Since when are we talking marriage?!" Lizzie widened her eyes, starting to stutter out a plead. "Just- Mom, just don't-"

"Act normal," Jane tried to respond for her overwhelmed sister in a calm, gracious manner.

"Not your normal, but a normal person's normal," Lizzie added, grabbing a bag of espresso beans before walking back out to the cafe. 

"What do you mean?" Mrs. Bennet inquired after her. "I am perfectly normal, dearie!" 
♠ ♠ ♠
I know. We're getting to the good stuff soon, but this all leads up to it! Comments? (: Thank you for reading and subscribing!