Status: Workin' on it (:

First Impressions

Trying

The "Chi-townies", as a few of the younger residents put to calling them once word spread around town, remained out at Netherfield for the remainder of the Memorial Day weekend. Meanwhile, the annual parade and cookout on the beach were in full swing. The cadence of middle schooler's off-beat snares still rang in Lizzie's ears as they passed the cafe in synchronized march an hour earlier.

"Toews is Canadian, he probably roped them all into ditching their national pride or something like that," said Lizzie whilst wiping down tables as her mother wondered aloud whether or not they missed their opportunity. "And mother, there will be plenty more chances for you to show off your splendid offspring, don't worry!"

"I'm glad you have enough confidence to call yourself splendid," sneered Lydia, who was rearranging the teacups on the shelves. "Don't get your hopes up too much, now."

"Oh, like you-"

"-Lydia is right dear," Mrs. Bennet kept Lizzie from returning her younger sister's insult, much to her surprise. "You need to find a way to present yourself properly to Mr. Toews; you can't hide behind the espresso machine and books all day!"

"First off, you pay me to make lattes," Lizzie shot her mother an exasperated look. "Second, I wouldn't dare try to 'present myself properly' to someone hardly worth presenting myself to."

"Six million!" Mrs. Bennet nearly screeched.

"He's an ass," Lizzie retorted, earning a whip of the dish towel from her mother. At least the cafe was empty.

"No man will marry you with that mouth," Mrs. Bennet admonished wagging her finger in Lizzie's direction.

"Who says I'll get married?"

Mrs. Bennet let out an angry sigh. 

"Just behave for Jane's sake," she ordered. "God knows she's further ahead than you are."

-------------------------

Lizzie had never seen Jane so intent on making a good impression as she saw her preparing for the clam bake that Friday. The Lucases owned a lakehouse that had been in their family for ages. While they were as middle-class as anyone in Longbourn, their family had spent generations in town and were well regarded as important figures. Mr. Lucas served on the town council and Mrs. Lucas headed the Rotary Club and other functions around town. They often opened their home up to the town residents such as for the clam bake, to enjoy an evening in their backyard that subsequently backed into the beachfront. 

"What do you think, Lizzie? Blue or white?" she nodded to the two simple summer dresses hanging up against the closet. "And is putting up my hair too formal? I don't want to look like I'm trying too hard."

"You ARE trying too hard," Lizzie teased, but comfortingly laid her hands on her sister's ivory shoulders to calm her. "White. And keep your hair down and natural, everyone likes it best that way."

"I can't believe I'm acting like this," Jane sighed, putting her face in her hands. 

"I suppose there's no harm in trying to look presentable for a town event," Jane shrugged. "And really, don't let this get to your head. Go out there and enjoy tonight- for all we know, Patrick might not even be there."

To that, Jane frowned, her forehead crinkling.

"It would be a shame if he didn't," she murmured, reaching up to play with a lock of her strawberry blonde hair. "I wanted to see him again."

"I know you did," said Lizzie. "But don't think of this as a pivotal moment in your life, okay? Take a breather."

Despite Lizzie's attempt at level-heading her cloud nine elder sister, fortunately for Jane, Patrick did show up that night.

"Ugh," Lizzie scrunched up her nose, as he walked through the archway to the Lucas family's backyard garden. He dressed nicely, in a light blue polo, khaki shorts, and navy topsiders. 

"Are you the only Bennet not happy that he's here?" Charlotte asked, stirring her drink beside her friend. 

"Unless you count Dad, and he just stays out of it."

"Maybe you should take up drinking, it'll make this more enjoyable for you," Charlotte smirked. 

"Look, he's spotted Jane," Lizzie said suddenly, catching Patrick's eyes fall upon her sister, who had (of course) voluntarily taken to pouring sodas for the kid's table. Patrick beelined towards her once Mr. and Mrs. Lucas finished welcoming him to their home.

Jane, once he tapped her shoulder spun around-

"Oh!" she gasped, sloshing the pitcher of soda onto the front of his shirt. "Oh, no, my goodness, I am so sorry-"

It would have been less embarrassing had they been in private, but here they were with fifty people who had seen what Jane had done to the pseudo-guest-of-honor and she was beet red in the face. Even Lizzie couldn't help being slack-jawed at the scene.

"It's okay, you didn't kill me," Patrick laughed it off, and Jane's face began to fade in redness, though it was still pink. He reached for the napkin she handed him and patted his damp shirt with a shrug. "Anyways, it's just sprite, it won't leave a stain." 

"I'm still very sorry, I shouldn't have turned around so quickly-"

"Hey, I'm the one who was trying to get your attention," said Patrick reassuringly. "How are you, Jane?"

"Good- well, yes," she stumbled over her words. "How are you?"

"A little put out that you never gave me a call," Patrick teased. "But you can make it up to me by introducing me to everyone."

"Bold," Charlotte murmured from her and Lizzie's safe distance away at the patio bar. "But he seems okay, huh?"

"You don't know that," Lizzie glanced worriedly at the pair, Jane leading him towards a table of admiring neighbors. "Think about-"

"-everything he's done, aside from having a successful career?" Charlotte filled in for her. "I suppose, but maybe he just needs someone like Jane to settle down with."

"I'm just scared she'll get hurt, that's all," said Lizzie quietly, just as Patrick and Jane approached the patio.

"Patrick, this is my sister Lizzie and the Lucas' daughter and her best friend, Charlotte," Jane beamed at us.

"Patrick," he introduced himself with a wide smile and shook mine and Charlotte's hands firmly. "It's a pleasure to meet you."

"Ah yes, you came into the cafe the other day," Lizzie pretended to remind herself, but shot him a warm smile. "And the same to you! I hope you're enjoying yourself here in Longbourn."

"Well, I've got a pretty neat guide to show me around, so I'd say I'm having fun," Patrick casually put his hand on the small of Jane's back and met her eyes, to which she looked away quickly.

"You know, Lizzie's attending law school at Northwestern in the fall," Jane smiled at Lizzie encouragingly. "Have you ever been to Evanston?"

"Once, the university holds a big Chicagoland benefit weekend there and I was invited last year," said Patrick. "It's a great school, congratulations." 

"I'd say she's the brightest out of all the Bennet girls," Jane said, but Lizzie simply blushed and shook her head. 

"I'd say Mary will give me a run for my money soon enough," she laughed nervously. "And besides, Jane's got the artistic power out of all of us."

"You're an artist?" Patrick gazed at Jane with newfound, stronger attraction. "That's so cool. What kind of stuff do you do?"

"Oh, I paint and sketch here and there," Jane shrugged. "I don't want to make a living out of it though. I'm hoping to find a curating job somewhere soon."

"Who's your favorite artist?"'

"Chagall," said Jane immediately, as Lizzie knew she would. 

"I've never heard of him," admitted Patrick.

"He's a Russian-French modernist," Jane replied, a hint of excitement in her voice. "His works are a really unique blend of cubism and fauvism, and the symbolism in all of them are extremely insightful-"

Lizzie loved Jane like this, so passionate and eager about art. Patrick probably had no idea what she was going on about, but he watched her face intently while she spoke, taking in every moment. And Lizzie watched him. Certainly men had been taken with Jane before, but Patrick was captivated, but hardly with lust, like she'd expected. Instead, it was as if he'd never met anyone so perfect in every way, and he couldn't get enough. 

"-I'm probably boring you with all this art talk, aren't I?" Jane nervously laughed, tucking her hair behind her ear. "Sorry."

"No, don't be," Patrick said genuinely. "I guess I've never taken the time to pay attention to art, and I've never met someone so crazy about it before."

"Oh I know, I am pretty crazy about it," Jane confessed, suddenly timid.

"In the best way," Patrick returned, blushing himself, probably mentally facepalming at the realization that he'd just called a girl a crazy person. 

"So is the rest of your group here?" Charlotte quickly changed the subject as to avoid awkward silence. Lizzie glanced around the garden apprehensively, hoping they wouldn't.

"Yeah, my sisters were taking a while, though, and I figured I'd head over myself, make some friends without theirs and Johnny's supervision," he chuckled. "They should be here any minute- oh, speak of the devils, there they are! Jon!"

Jonathan turned at the sound of Patrick's voice, and even from across the large yard, Lizzie could see him grimace. Hesitantly, he walked over, dressed similarly to Patrick, yet in black, Erica, Jessica and Marc all in tow. 

"Guys, you remember Jane from the cafe? This is Lizzie, her younger sister, and Charlotte, yeah? Charlotte Lucas- this is her family's place-" 

Jonathan looked extremely uncomfortable (well, when hadn't he?) standing beside his more boisterous friend, Lizzie noticed. Of course, Jessica and Erica were both giving the three girls once-overs, causing Lizzie to self-consciously shift in her emerald, floral patterned maxi dress and bronze gladiators.

"-Lizzie's going to Northwestern law in the fall," said Patrick conversationally once introductions were over. "Johnny, didn't you say your cousin Ana's going to college there?"

"Oh, she's going to be a freshman in college, isn't she?" Jessica cut in excitedly. "I just adore Ana, she's such a talented girl." 

"Our family is very proud," Jonathan said curtly.

"What school is she in?" Lizzie asked politely, only to be irked by another curt reply.

"Weinberg."

Okay then, Lizzie huffed to herself, but regained composure with a kind (or so she hoped) smile.

"Well, I'm going to go greet some friends, but it was nice meeting all of you," she said. "Charlotte, I think Jules Patterson was waving you over..."

And so the night went. Jane continued to introduce everyone to the group like the angel she was, and Jessica and Erica even appeared to warm up to her. After all, pretty girls had to stick together. There was an awkward moment where Mrs. Bennet had appeared and nearly embarrassed Jane, but Lizzie pulled her away, explaining that Mrs. Lucas was just dying to speak to her and she had to come quickly. Otherwise, Jane sat with the Chi-townies at their table, allowing Patrick to even sling his arm around the back of her chair for the night.

After dinner, Mr. Lucas ordered the tables to be cleared from the yard, and opened up the flat grounded grass as a dance floor. Members of the Longbourn jazz quartet set up shop on the patio, and soon, the melody of a alto sax sang through the air. After a few minutes of watching other couples, Patrick turned to Jane, offering his hand, to which she accepted. Under a sting of white decoration lights, he led her smoothly across the floor.

"That's it, they're married," Charlotte confirmed jokingly as she and Lizzie swung on the hammock closer to the edge of the beach. "Or at least your mother thinks so." 

"Look at her, she's dying, she's so happy," Lizzie said dryly, glancing at Mrs. Bennet's beaming face gazing at Patrick and Jane. She occassionally would lean over to talk excitedly to Mrs. Lucas, who looked a bit put out that Jane once again had stolen her target's attention. 

Out of the corner of her eye, Lizzie caught sight of another figure lurking out on the beach. Jonathan walked across the sand slowly, the light from his smartphone illuminating his face in the darkened night. Part of Lizzie felt like she had no reason to bother him, yet she stole another glance at her sister happily dancing with his best friend, and she had second thoughts. 

"I'm going to go make a friend," she promptly murmured to Charlotte, unbalancing the hammock as she stepped up. 

"Play nice," Charlotte smirked, calling softly after her friend. 

I always do, Lizzie assured herself and neared Jonathan. He looked a bit surprised when he looked up to find her approaching, but nonetheless looked disgruntled.

"Enjoying the party?" she asked lightly, to which he merely grunted. Lizzie didn't think such a young, attractive man could make such an unattractive noise, but here was proof. 

"Do you ever get service up here?" He instead spoke, staring back at his phone.

"Verizon pretty much rules the U.P.," Lizzie offered, maintaining composure.

He stayed silent.

"How do you like Longbourn?" she tried again.

"It's alright." 

Really?, Lizzie thought to herself. He couldn't find anything remotely polite to say.

"In what way?" she asked, glad that it was too dark to see her rosy cheeks. "Too in-the-middle-of-no-where for you?"

Jonathan nodded.

"I'm used to the city," he offered, to which Lizzie scoffed openly at his attitude. He looked up from his phone at the sound. "Did I say something to offend you?" 

No, she thought, you hardly had to say anything at all.

"No, I'm just tired," Lizzie covered up quickly. "Anyways, good luck getting service. I'm going back to the party."

And she turned on her heel and left him standing there, watching her retreat back to the garden, the skirt of her dress brushing gently across the sand and her natural dark ringlets shining from the moonlight's reflection.

"Something tells me that didn't go all too well," Charlotte read Lizzie's face immediately as they met again at the hammock. 

"It didn't need to anyhow," Lizzie huffed. "As far as I'm concerned, I have no business trying to confer with such a proud, pompous guy like Jonathan Toews."
♠ ♠ ♠
I hate writing Tazer so negatively...
Thank you for the nice comments! It really keeps me going (:
Confession: I don't proofread as much as I should.

Comments?