Status: Workin' on it (:

First Impressions

Go Fish

"Soy latte," Jessica slapped down a five dollar bill, and Mary looked at the striking brunette fearfully. "Small."

"Lizzie?" Mary turned to squeak at her sister, once again manning the espresso machine. 

"Coming right up," Lizzie nodded, feeling Jessica's eyes on her. 

"And a hot cocoa, also," Jessica said in a voice louder than normal. Adding, "for Jonathan."

The Chi-townies were back at the Bennet House Cafe. Well, only three of them, and only briefly. Patrick and Jonathan currently stood by the entrance, the latter person's lips drawn in the thin line and eyes darting around the room (frequently towards the counter, which Lizzie hardly noticed) while his blonde friend's were divided by teeth white as Chiclets, listening to something Jane was saying.

"When do you leave for Northwestern?" Jessica asked casually, watching Lizzie prepare the drinks with the intention to make her more nervous. 

"Class starts after Labor Day," Lizzie responded, hardly intimidated. "When do you go back to Buffalo?"

"I'm not, actually," said Jessica, emphasizing the last word with a tone of complacency. "I've been hired as a consultant for an up-and-coming fashion label in Chicago."

"Ah," Lizzie didn't really know what to say. Why did Jessica think she cared? And what was she supposed to say? "Uh, congratulations. You must be excited."

"Oh definitely," she smirked. "I already found my apartment- Johnny helped; it's only a few blocks from his condo."

"That's nice," Lizzie said flatly, handing her the two drinks. 

"What's nice?" Jonathan asked, approaching the two.

"I was just telling Lizzie here how you helped me find an apartment in Chicago," said Jessica brightly. "And here, I got you your favorite."

"Oh, uh thanks," said Jonathan, slightly surprised by the gesture, but took the cardboard mug nonetheless. "Hi, Lizzie."

"Hello," Lizzie attempted to smile at him, even half-heartedly. Who was she to show any disrespect, even if Jonathan was a terrible person? 

"Are you all ready to go?" Patrick called, just as Mrs. Bennet came out of the kitchen, a portable cooler back in her arms.

"Lunch!" she called to the group of four. "Now, I didn't want the bread to get all soggy, so I separated the egg salad, and there are individual packets of mayo and mustard for the others. Also, I added in some trail mix and some-"

"Sounds good, mom," Jane cut her off before Mrs. Bennet could pop with excitement. She kissed her cheek. "Thank you."

"Yes, thank you so much," Patrick said graciously as he accepted the cooler. 

"Enjoy your time- Janie, did you tell Patrick about your father's favorite spot on the lake?"

"She did, and that's definitely where we'll be," said Patrick.

"I think Lizzie found that spot though," Jane shot a smile to her sister. "Remember, you were nine, and you and Daddy caught enough trout to last us a week!"

"You fish?" Jonathan turned to Lizzie. "Why don't you come with us?" 

Mrs. Bennet, Patrick and Jane chorused agreement. Lizzie herself was more taken aback by Jonathan being the one to offer the invitation.

"It's a shame you're busy here at the restaurant," Jessica reminded the group with fake sympathy. 

"Oh, nonsense," Mrs. Bennet waved a hand. "Lizzie, Lydia can take your shift, right Lydia?"

"Seriously, Mom?" Lydia whined, pausing from busing tables to plead her case. "Have Eddie do it!"

Eddie looked up from his barstool seat where he'd been catching up on sports scores while waiting for a deliver. Of course, at the mention of his name from Lydia's lips, he bounded to rescue.

"Oh, sure, Mrs. B, this can all be part of my training we talked about," Eddie said brightly. Eddie had been dying for a promotion since he'd started working for the cafe, eager to spend as much time in close proximity to Lydia as possible.

"Are you sure, Eddie?" Lizzie asked worriedly. "The espresso machine...have you used one before?"

"Can't be any harder than a Keurig, yeah?" 

"Kit can take on that part," Mrs. Bennet offered. "Lizzie, you should go, Lord knows you need some sun."

"Is there enough room on the boat?" Jessica piped up with a twinge of desperation.

"Of course there is," Jonathan shot back in a fierce tone, causing Jessica to shoot Lizzie an equally fierce glare. 

"Lizzie, please come!" Jane begged with pleading eyes. 

Lizzie bit her lip. Jane would definitely feel more comfortable with her sister there. Besides, why should she spend the entire summer practically cooped up at home?

"Okay, just give me five minutes to change." 

Lizzie and her father's favorite fishing spot was nestled ten miles west of Longbourn, on the shoal where the land, a hundred meters away was a complete wall of evergreens. Jonathan had pulled the boat up by nine o'clock, and even with the rising temperatures and a fleece blanket, Lizzie shivered in her fold-up chair, fishing pole close-by and leaning over the rail. She wished she had something warm to drink-

"There's SwissMiss down in the cabin," suggested Jonathan, who noticed her trying to retain the heat of her body by hugging her knees.

"That sounds like a good idea," Lizzie said, getting up from her seat just as Jonathan stood up.

"I'll get it," he offered hastily. 

"Oh," Lizzie started, "well, I'll come with you, it'll be warmer inside."

Jonathan followed her inside the twenty-footer, the woodwork glazed like caramel and shining from a good wax. Jessica had taken up the sitting area, reading Cosmo and still drinking the last bit of her soy latte. She'd tried fishing in the first twenty minutes, but had gotten cold and bored (and Jonathan had ignored her giggly antics). It was clear to Lizzie that Jessica had only come along to try and flirt with Jonathan, who wasn't appeasing her attempts. Good for him, Lizzie applauded silently as he led her over to the small kitchen area where an electric kettle sat. Not that they wouldn't be right for one another, she backtracked in her mind. In fact, Lizzie thought they'd be perfect for one another.

"Marshmallows or marshmallow-free?" Jonathan asked, holding up the half-and-half box of instant hot chocolate he'd pulled from the cupboard.

"With, please," Lizzie responded over the sound of boiling water bubbling up against the electric kettle. Jonathan pulled two large mugs from the cupboard, also retrieving a few packets of Splenda as well, causing Lizzie to chuckle.

"What? It's always too watery," he tried to excuse himself. "I've got a sweet tooth."

"Nah, I get it," Lizzie returned with a grin, and reached into the cupboard to pull out a couple more sugar packets. "I do the same thing."

"Great minds think alike."

"I would say so."

"Good thing it's the off-season," said Jessica from her seat. She'd been watching the exchange enviously.

"I doubt zero-calorie sweetener would shake up my build," he returned, pouring the hot water into the two mugs.

Suddenly Patrick's booming laugh erupted from the upper deck, where he and Jane sat on the side opposite of the other two. Lizzie peered out the window in their direction, smiling at what she saw. Jane's chair was turned close and perpendicular to Patrick's, her legs, covered in a blanket, casually laid out across his. They were now talking animatedly, though their words were too muffled to decipher, but their unbreakable eye contact told an obvious story. 

"So, Liz," Jessica changed the subject at the sound of her brother. "Has Jane found a job yet?"

"Uh, no not yet," Lizzie shrugged. "She's expanded her search nationally, though, and I'm sure she'll come up with something soon. Otherwise my parents are happy having her here to watch over the cafe."

Jessica glanced at Jonathan, shooting him a look that made Lizzie uncomfortable.

"Obviously, none of us want to stay in Longbourn forever, though," she added.

"'course you wouldn't," Jessica said loftily, returning to her article, filling the cabin with silence.

After a few moments, Jonathan cleared his throat.

"Lizzie, we should probably check on our bait," he said, and she nodded, following him out the door.

Outside, the wind had picked up, causing Lizzie to remain under the fleece blanket while Jonathan rehooked both of their fishing poles. They sat quietly for a while longer, until Lizzie heard her phone buzz. She grinned when MESSAGE FROM HENRY WICKHAM appeared on the screen.

HENRY: @ ur place, and some strange guy serving me coffee cake. What is the meaning of this!?!?

LIZZIE: Out fishing! Srry im not there MAKE SURE HE DOESN'T USE THE ESPRESSO MACHINE. 

HENRY: Ah...hearing a snippet of ur moms convo with Mrs. L...out with Toews and PKane?

LIZZIE: Jane begged me :( not too bad, tho. He's being nice.

HENRY: How is he being nice if he's whose keeping me from seeing u? Calling you in 3...2...1...

"Hey," Lizzie grinned, picking up while Jonathan looked at her wearily. "Miss me that much?"

"Devestatingly," Henry returned, and she swore she could hear his smile over the phone. "So, let me take you out to dinner tonight."

"I dunno, you seem kinda sketchy," Lizzie joked, glancing at Jonathan for a short second. The vein on his neck became very visible all of the sudden. "Kidding. Pick me up seven?"

"See you then."

"You seem to be getting friendly with Henry Wickham," Jonathan said.

"Ha ha, that's none of your business," Lizzie shot back.

"I just hope you know what you're doing."

"Henry is a very decent man, you know."

"Hardly," Jonathan scoffed.

"Like you know decency," Lizzie's words were out of her mouth before she could help it. "After all that you did to Henry-"

"-you probably don't know half of it," Jonathan argued. 

"No," Lizzie shook her head. "I know all of it."

"You don't, if this is how you're acting."

Lizzie opened her mouth to speak, but instead found herself startled as a large raindrop plunked right on the bridge of her nose.

"Guys!" Patrick suddenly appeared around the bend of the cabin. "Freak thunderstorm coming- we gotta get back to town."

"I'll start the engine," Jonathan muttered, standing up from his chair and leaving Lizzie to collect their rods.

"Asshole," Lizzie whispered harshly to herself, disgusted by his attitude as she reeled in the lines.
♠ ♠ ♠
Soooooo it gets more interesting starting now! Haha. Two chapters in a day, wooooo!