Status: Complete. Placement in contest: first place!

Say Nothing

Juliana Slade

“Frank!” my mom exclaimed.

I didn't move my eyes from the ceiling I was staring at. I assumed she was standing next to my bedroom door as I laid on my bed with my arms folded behind my head. I blinked a couple of times, lost in thought. My ceiling was pretty interesting right now.

“Frank!” mom exclaimed at me again because I didn't respond the first time.

I kept my stare at the ceiling like it was the most important thing ever as I said, “Yeah, ma?”

“Do me a big, big, big favor,” she begged; I held the urge to roll my eyes. “Frankie, please?” I let out a hum noise as my yes and she continued, “Okay, good. Go to the beach for me and get some sand. I need it to weigh down the umbrella for the deck table outside.”

I groaned out, “Ma!”

“Thank you, Frankie.” she skipped out of my room tapping her feet harshly on the wood floors. I released the urge and rolled my eyes annoyingly. That wasn't a 'Oh my gosh! Yes!' Dammit, ma.

I jumped out of my bed, feeling my head become light. I picked up my shoes and slid them on. I ruffled my hair around in the mirror for a quick second and left my room. I skidded down the steps, almost falling. I ran into the kitchen and grabbed a couple of grocery bags.

I made the ten minute journey walk to the beach. It's packed with all the teenagers swimming and living up their summer break. It began almost a week and a half ago and I haven't done much. Oh well, as long as I got my extra hours of sleep, my extra time to practice guitar and really, that's all I needed out of summer break.

I probably looked like an idiot walking around the beach looking for a pile of sand that wasn't getting trampled by teens, covered in towels or coolers, and covered in trash left by the idiotic assholes. I probably looked like even more of an idiot wondering around in black skinny jeans, a black The Cure shirt, black fingerless gloves, and a pair of black chucks. Hell, my hair was shoulder length and jet black.

I looked like a creature of the night that didn't belong there.

I found a perfect little patch of sand and bent down. I tucked one bag into my back pocket and brought the other one in front of me. I scooped up the sand into the first bag until I had about two pounds in the bag. I tied it off and as I was tying it off, someone bumped into me, making me lose my footing and I dropped onto my knees in the sand.

“Oh shit! I'm so sorry!” a girl yelled out as she grabbed my shoulders. I picked myself up and brushed off the sand from my knees down. I did it briskly for a few seconds until I was satisfied with the amount of sand I got off.

“It's no problem,” I began, “it's just sand.” The girl giggled and I looked over at her. I almost began praising Jesus and The Holy Spirit in a sexual way that you shouldn't.

She was in a simple one-piece black bathing suit with a green towel around her shoulders. Her skin looked awfully pale with the swimsuit she was wearing; there was prominent freckles speckled on her cheeks. She didn't have any make-up on. Her eyes are this bright green; they almost didn't look real because they looked so neon.

Her hair was dripping wet, shoulder length and platinum blonde that was obviously natural. She smiled as she giggled, showing off her crazy white and perfect teeth. She looked like she was about the same height as me and ten times skinnier than me. She needed to eat, but nonetheless, she was fucking gorgeous.

“I'm so sorry-” she cleared her throat “-again.”

I waved my hand in the air towards her and said, “It's alright.”

She looked me up and down. I started to feel embarrassed as she looked me over, probably thinking I was a weirdo. After about a second more of looking, she bit her lip and attempted to conceal a grin emerging. I tried not to grin back at her; instead, I nibbled on my lip ring.

“I'll see you later,” she said and then took off.

I stood there for a moment like an idiot with my mouth open. I looked like a fish outta water. I felt like a fish outta water. I shook off that feeling and continued to pick up sand for my mom. Why was I getting sand again?

~*~

It was almost eleven at night when my mom came busting into my bedroom looking like she was going to a party. She was decked out in a red dress with high-heels along with her long, dark brown hair curled. She looked happy.

“I'm going out with the girls,” mom said. “I'll be home sometime later on tonight. Will you be okay?”

I shrugged and said, “Yeah, as long as the door is locked.”

Mom left after that and for about an hour, I was alright. I raided the kitchen for a late night snack and I was watching a movie in the living room when I heard a loud bang on the backdoor. My dog, Lee, came rushing down the stairs, barking. I jumped off of my couch when the second bang erupted from the backdoor.

I picked up the phone and pre-dialed 911. I had my thumb over the talk button, waiting for someone to kick in the door or something. I'm not fucking kidding around when I tell you I'm about to shit my pants. I slowly made my way to the backdoor when the third bang rattled throughout the house. Lee barked again.

I tried to shush my dog when I heard someone's muffled voice from outside say, “Fucking Christ! What the hell are you doing Frankie!?”

I froze in place, thinking someone was already in the house. My heart sank to the pits of my stomach and it beat so fast that I was expecting it to burst out of my chest any second now. I heard the voice holler out 'Frankie' when the door got banged for a fourth time.

Lee took off for the door, barking again. I followed after her and hesitantly walked to the backdoor. The curtain was pulled back and I could barely make out a short figure and a taller one. I let out a sigh of relief when I realized there was a dog at the backdoor making the banging noise for the fifth time. I held my breath when I realized who was at the backdoor. I dropped the phone on the table, quickly jogged over to the door and opened it up to a frightened looking girl. The same girl from the beach.

“Damn dude,” she breathed out, “you scared the shit outta me.” I walked out of the house and more towards her and her dog.

I chuckled and said, “Your dog scared my balls off.” My eyes met with her neon green ones. I felt my heart flutter out of excitement.

She giggled as she petted her overly-sized German Shepard. He closed his eyes out of enjoyment and panted. I compared the large dog to my little Pomeranian. I love my little baby Lee; she's the best dog ever. Plus, if you put a pile of toys up to her, you couldn't tell the difference between her and the toys. I thought that was the best part about her.

“How'd you know my name?” I asked, curiously.

“What?” She cocked her head to the side questionably. I shook my head and grinned realizing what her dog's name is.

“Frankie,” I leaned over and petted her dog, Frankie, “that's my name.” Lee busted out of the door and began to roll around on Frankie. Frankie didn't mind.

“Really?” She giggled. “Oh my gosh, I would've shitted myself if I was you. I'm so sorry.”

I playfully rolled my eyes and leaned against the doorway as I said, “You're saying a lot of 'I'm so sorry' to me today.” She giggled again and I did the same. Her laugh was contagious. “I'm starting to think I got a stalker.”

She roared with laughter and said, “Oh, you hush. If anything, I think you're following me.” I once again, rolled my eyes playfully. She moved closer to me and stuck out her hand as she said, “Juliana Slade.”

Lee started to jump up and down on Frankie as I grabbed Juliana's hand. I grinned as I said, “Frank Iero.”

Juliana took her hand away and said, “We're your new neighbors a few houses down... so I guess I'll be seeing you in school next year, too? I'm a sophomore.”

“Well-” I chuckled “-maybe. I go to the Catholic school, you might be going to public.”

Juliana grinned and said, “I'm going to Our Lady of Peace, is that it?”

I nodded my head. “Yep... I'm a junior, by the way.” She smiled and awkwardly stood there, looking around. “Um-” I brought her attention back to me “-so where are you from?” God, that's fucking lame.

Juliana perked up and smirked pridefully. “I'm from Florida!”

“Really?” I giggled, like a girl. I hated that fact about me. “I'd never guess.” I took joke in her pale complection.

She laughed and playfully smacked my arm. “You hush.”

Before I could say anything else, someone else yelled out, “Jules!? Where are you!?” Juliana sighed deeply and annoyingly.

“Fuck,” she said, “that's my que to leave. It was nice talking to you.”

“Same,” I replied.

“I think we'll be seeing each other more because of our little doggy situation.” Juliana chuckled over at our dogs playing with each other on my deck.

I raised an eyebrow and said, “Lee doesn't ever like anybody that isn't me. I'm surprised.”

“Jules!” That person yelled out again.

Juliana sighed again and leaned forward. We hugged really quickly and she said, “Bye, Frank.”

I waved and yelled for Lee as she grabbed Frankie by the collar to make sure he doesn't run away again. I stood at the backdoor way until I couldn't see her anymore. Lee and I made our way back inside the house. Lee whimpered at the backdoor as I closed it.

“I'm sure he'll be back, sweetie,” I told her as I lightly patted her head. I looked out on the deck and I sighed. I noticed mom hasn't weighed down the umbrella yet or even got the deck table out there. It's whatever, I guess.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm writing this for a contest for the song Florida Plates by Pencey Prep! The links to the contest, song, and lyrics are all found on the summary page.

Since I am writing this about that song, obviously the story is going to go along with the song. I, however, will be taking a different spin off of the song. So if you don't like it or it's not the way you thought I would write it, please don't come slaughter me xD

Thanks for reading! :)