Conversational Lush

1/1

It had been weeks, no, months since she had been able to look into her lover's eyes. They were as brown as ever and, despite the circumstances, still held that spark that had attracted her in the first place. She'd ached for him in the time he wouldn't allow her to visit and now that she was there, mere inches away, she couldn't find anything to say.

The receiver was against her ear even though neither of them spoke. He simply put his hand up to the bullet-proof glass and she placed hers over his. She imagined she could feel his warmth even through the six inches of glass. Trying to keep it together, she told herself that three years would go by in the blink of an eye and she'd be able to feel his warmth, uninhibited by a sheet of glass and uninterrupted by the chatter of the visitation room.

A stubborn tear raced down her cheek and she sniffled as she brushed it away. Her knee bounced as she tried to force a smile for him. He wanted her to be strong.

"Tell me something sweet to get me by," she said.

He gripped the receiver on his side of the booth and she saw his jaw tense. "Take care of our son until I get out, alright?"

Her chuckle caused a cascade of tears to fall from her eyes and all too soon, a buzzer rang and the prisoners were escorted from the visitation room. She watched his bright orange jumpsuit blend in with all the others as they marched through a door on the far side of the room.
Touching her flat stomach, she smiled. "Daddy will be home soon."
♠ ♠ ♠
word count 285
for this contest