Not Worth Your Tears

Not Worth Your Tears

- two weeks later-

I looked into the mirror and stared at myself. My eyes had a thin layer of mascara, my skin was oily and my hair messy and not taking care of. I put my hands in my pocket and tilted my head. Today, you're starting over. Ever since Drew you've been a mess. You look like a boy. You look like Bella Swan when she was rejected by Edward. You do not want to be that. Pick up your makeup, and get to work. From now on, you have to wake the hell up. I growled at myself, biting my lip. I smiled a genuine and true smile at myself, my real, solid, happy Kaybree. I fixed my jeans, grabbed my purse and began walking down the stairs to go to the airport when I saw Travis peek out from behind his door, motioning for me to come in his room.

I raised my eyebrow and walked back up the stairs, down the hallway, then into my younger brother’s room. He sat down on his bed, and smiled at me. “So, today’s the big day, eh?”

I nodded and sat down beside him, looking at the pictures on his end table. One of him, dad, mom and Breeze posing funnily at Disney World. Briefly I wondered why I wasn’t in the photo. Had they gone without me? Then it dawned to me that I must have spent my whole time at the big library they had that was based on the library at the Beast’s castle from Beauty and The Beast.

Travis followed my gaze and smiled sadly. "You never were one for rides."

I blankly glanced at him, and then looked away. I really need to work on not being such a loner. “Are you nervous?” Travis asked, searching my face.

“No, I’m kind of excited. My own space will be exciting I guess.” I said, looking up at him. His eyes searched mine and then he looked away and nodded.

"Kaybree, do you remember when me and Elyse broke up?" Travis asked, looking up at the ceiling, his eyebrows pulling together.

I nodded at the memory of his heartbreak when she had treated him badly, and broken things off. Travis looked at me with a small smile and set his hand on my shoulder. "Thanks Kaybree. That was the best moment I've ever had with you, and you really helped me through it. Thanks for not saying, "I told you so". I know you knew she wasn't a good person."

I gave him a big hug and he stiffened in surprise. "You're welcome Travis." He relaxed and wrapped his arms around me, squeezing me softly. "I'm going to change Travis. This is a new beginning for me. I'm starting over...and opening up." I pulled away from him and smiled at him, feeling awkward with a smile on my face.

Travis looked me in the eyes and smiled back. "I hope so. For you Kaybree. I want you to be happy, and we both know you've been a shell of yourself since-." He said, holding up a hand to stop me as I stiffened. I didn't want to hear about Drew, and my whole family knew that, but Travis insisted. "Since Drew. You have to face that time of your life Kaybree. I don't know what went wrong there, but you have to face it. It's only healthy. Okay?" He asked, raising his eyebrows in concern as he held onto my shoulders. I sighed and nodded, making him smile.

Travis stood up and walked across his room over to his dresser. "I want something for you to take with you as a reminder. Of me, of home, of what happened with Drew."

"Okay..." I watched him as he opened his drawer and pulled out something yellow and silver. Travis walked over and opened his hand to show a yellow pin with a silver back. He smiled an embarrassed grin and held it out to me.

"When you helped me with Elyse, you gave me this. It meant a lot to me, so I kept it." The button read in pink writing, 'Nobody is worth your tears and the one that is, won’t make you cry.’

"Wow..." I laughed and shook my head. "I can't believe you kept this." When Drew broke up with me, and I had been completely and utterly heartbroken, and deeply depressed, my mom gave this pin to me. It cheered me up, so I figured it might help Travis too, when he was hurting because of a bad breakup.

"I want you to be able to look at it and remember me, like a daily reminder." Travis awkwardly fumbled with his belt loop, a nervous habit, and looked up at me, "It helped me find Sam. And I know this sounds dorky," He laughed, waving his hand in the air, "but you never know...maybe it'll help you find some guy out there."

"Okay..." I watched him as he grabbed my bags and winced at the weight. I cracked a small smile and shook my head, looking down at it in my hands. I rotated it in my hands as Travis cleared his throat. "I'll help take your bags down. Come on, Kay."
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment & sub ! fixed the ending, parts were left out !