‹ Prequel: Second City.

'Till Death

Hello, beautiful.

Bristol had learned from the past that there was no stopping the adrenaline rush which surged her body. Her hands shook, her heart raced and her legs shakily led her into the kitchen. Stubbing out the burning cigarette, Bristol let it go forgotten in the ash tray as she tossed the UPS box on the countertop and rummaged through the drawer for a knife. When she had found one, it took less than a second to tear into the package which had been sent to her from Philadelphia.

I wanna see ur gorgeous curves draped in lace. Read the text message burning the screen of her iPhone. Darting her eyes to the clock on the stove, Bristol quickly calculated the minutes in her head and then raced to the bedroom, locking the door.

Her clothes were off in a matter of seconds, followed by her bra and panties before easing on the white g-string to match the lacy garment Bristol had been anxiously waiting for, for weeks. Now in the baby doll, she slipped into the master bathroom with a sly smile on her face and positioned herself in a sexy pose before snapping a photo fast. She didn’t have to dwell on getting on the perfect pose, it would only be a matter of minutes before her husband arrived home with two ice cream and dirt stained faced children. When her phone vibrated against the black granite vanity, Bristol headed to bed with the biggest, most devilish smile she had ever produced.

Bby that was worth the wait. Can’t wait to get my hands on you.

Biting down on the tip of her rounded French tipped thumb nail, Bristol was caught by surprise when the sound of two pairs of tennis shoes stomped down the hallway charging her door. Snapping up, she quickly grabbed her satin robe from the closet and tied the belt as she tried to make it seem as if she just woken from a nap.

Nicholas was the first one to jump in her arms after emerging from the locked bedroom. He was smiling bright with chocolate lined lips eager to show his mother the goodies Dan had been suckered in to purchasing while strolling the Taste of Chicago with his children.

“Did you have fun with daddy?” Bristol maternally licked her thumb in an attempt to clean up some of the mess which lingered on Nicholas’ face as she walked the two of them to the front room. Kristen continued to talk her father’s ear off about the girls at school and how excited she was for the next coming school where she would finally be able to wear a skirt rather than the jumper.

Drowsiness seemed to have quickly come over Nicholas he rested his head on Bristol’s shoulder and simply nodded a yes. “Uncle Patty didn’t come like he promised.”

Bristol would be lying if she said she was surprised by her son’s confession of Patrick Kane’s absence although he had promised the young boy he would join the fun weeks ago. She knew Kaner had given in to the temptations of free booze and pussy and made a mental note to give him a painful nipple twist the next time she saw him for disappointing Nicholas.

Laying Nicholas down on the love seat, Bristol took this as her time to occupy the emptiness of Dan’s lap. It was a comforting feeling, being back in the arms of her husband and guilty chills raced her spine as he pressed a quick kiss to her lips.

Excitedly, Kristen held up a plastic bag filled halfway with water and darted to eyes in the direction of Dan. “Look, mommy. Daddy got me another fish for my tank.”

“Did he now?” Bristol looked at Dan before tucking a lock of dark hair behind Kristen’s ear. She had been opposed to the original idea Dan purposed of getting Kristen a puppy and all three settled on a fish. The animals were Dan’s way of making up for lost time as he spent most of the year training and playing in Detroit and it was hard for him to say no when she looked up at him those Carcillo eyes.

“I couldn’t help myself,” Dan defended. “When we walked past the pet store it was the only fish left in the tank. Seemed kinda lonely.”

Shaking her head, Bristol gently grabbed the bag from Kristen and hopped off Dan’s lap. She reached her empty hand to Kristen, who laced her tiny fingers with her mothers, and headed down the hall to the only pink bedroom in the condo. Dan followed close behind, with Nicholas in his arms. It hadn’t taken very long for the boy to fall into a slumber and Bristol anticipated an early night for Kristen as well. There was only one thing running through Bristol’s mind at that moment; alone time at last with Dan. The time had been far too long since the couple had last even faced each other while sleeping in the same bed.

“You want to put the bag in?” Bristol asked, lifting the cover of the small tank. Kristen’s face lit up at the idea as Bristol picked up the small girl so she could float the bag in the cool water.

From the corner of her eye, Bristol could see the outline of Dan’s body leaning against the doorframe with arms folded across his chest as he watched his two favorite girls. In her mind, Bristol wondered if Dan knew what she was hiding beneath her robe. The only way she’d be able to hide the new baby doll was if she told him she had bought it for his pleasure and enjoyment when in truth it was quite the opposite.

Setting Kristen back on her feet, Bristol told her to head into the bathroom to start the water for her nightly bath to give the two adults some alone time to make plans. She was just about to open her mouth to suggest a bottle wine and a naughty film before fooling around but Dan beat her to the punch.

“If you don’t mind, I’m gonna head out and meet the guys for a drink.”

Never before had Bristol felt so distant from her husband after six years of marriage. He was pushing her away; rarely speaking of his time in Detroit, leaving at the early evening hours for a whiskey and beer with his old teammates at their once favorite hangout. Bristol felt as if she couldn’t say no. Six years ago she had vowed not to be a nagging housewife, but in the same respect he had vowed not to make her one. In her mind they were supposed to be a team. Not leaving her to take care of the house and children while he went off and had his fun. Which is exactly why Bristol had begun to have fun of her own without the knowledge of Dan; he would never approve.

Frustration and anger grew deep in Bristol’s belly as she forced a smile and swallowed foul words. “Say hi to Patrick and Bolly for me.”

It was somewhat of an awkward kiss. Only the corners of their mouths meeting and cheeks brushing. Six months ago Dan would have at least given her a time at which she could expect him home, but this time he left without a word more.

Feeling played and spiteful, Bristol walked over to Kristen’s bed and plopped down listening carefully for the slam of the front door. When it echoed loudly through the spacious condo, Bristol knew he wouldn’t be coming home smelling of Jameson and smoke, but rather cheap perfume and sweat. Seven years ago it had been her worst fear; Dan coming home smelling of the perfume of another woman. She wasn’t sure what she found more pathetic: the fact now Dan had simply given up trying to hide his affairs or the fact she was going to such great lengths to cover her own.

Twisting the Tiffany wedding band and engagement ring around her finger, Bristol slid her phone out of the shallow pocket of her robe. Unlocking she screen, she typed five letters into her contacts search before guiltlessly pressing the green send button. Much to her surprise he answered on the second ring and from his empty house in New Jersey, Danny Briere’s sweet voice filled the depth of Bristol’s ear.

“Hello, beautiful.”