‹ Prequel: Second City.

'Till Death

Second thoughts.

After grazing her lips against the salty skin of Danny’s chest, she let her body collapse from utter exhaustion. The soft mattress sank with the curve of her body as she rolled to her right side and snuggled up to the half-asleep man beside her. It had taken a good five minutes for Bristol to get her heart rate back under one-hundred and she still felt breathless. Every muscle in her body was relaxed as was her mind for the first time in over twenty-four hours.

“Well, I guess being a pro-athlete pays off once in a while.” Bristol joked as she covered her nude body with the duvet. Her skin was flush pink in the low glow of the florescent light glowing softly from the lamp sitting on the table. Danny brushed a lock of hair from Bristol’s forehead as she placed her head on his chest. Drowsiness took over as she fluttered her eyes closed. She could feel his delicate fingertips brush against her sweat dampened forehead and in the silence his heartbeat was music to her ears. Just as Bristol took her final breath before sleep overcame, she heard three sweet words escape from Danny’s mouth.

“I love you.”

Her eyes fluttered open in the morning where they instantly shut again. The sun was brighter than Bristol believed it should be and far too early in the morning to even be awake. It pleased Bristol to find that she had forgotten about the hour time change when she finally looked at the clock. Her internal clock thought it was 9 am, but she was rising feeling refreshed at 10 am Philly time. She let out a yawn and tossed the duvet off her body. Danny was nowhere to be found, but she did smell the sweet aroma of French vanilla coffee brewing from the kitchen.

Slipping to a pair of her own sweatpants and one of his shirts, Bristol gracefully stepped her way to the kitchen, Sure enough, there he was. Shirtless, wearing nothing but his black sweats in front of the stove with a spatula in his hand flipping his chocolate chip pancakes.

“Good morning, beautiful.” Danny crooned as he handed his love a cup of hot coffee and the bottle of creamer.

Bristol could feel her cheeks begin to blush. It had said it to her countless times, but his flattery never seemed to lose its effect and she loved the feeling of butterflies this early in the morning.

“You’re not looking too bad yourself,” she grabbed a slice of bacon and took a bite. “This is surely something I could get use to waking up to.”

Danny could feel an insult towards Dan bubbling but he knew it would be best to keep it to himself. Now wasn’t the time to get her worked up; Dan was still her husband after all. He wanted nothing but her undivided attention for the next 48 hours. After plating Bristol three pancakes, he walked up behind her as she sat in the barstool and placed her food in front of her. It felt good having her back is his arms as we wrapped them around her. Danny nestled his nose in her hair and took in a deep breath, reminding himself of what it was like falling asleep to the coconut scent when she briefly lived with him years ago. Bristol grasped his forearms with her fingers and placed butterfly kisses to the skin. She closed her eyes and took a breath. Quickly wondering if her life would be as it is now had she never gone back to Dan, gotten pregnant and moved home.

She knew one thing was for sure. The love she has for Caelan, Carson and Cameron would and never has changed. She considered those three her boys as well, always ready and willing to help whenever she’s called upon. Bristol wasn’t sure if she would have had a child or two with Danny. The three boys were enough, but she had been blessed with two beautiful and healthy babies with Dan.

“Aren’t you going to eat?” Bristol asked Danny.

He poured himself another cup of coffee and slid into the barstool beside Bristol. Simply shaking his head, he stirred in a spoonful of sugar into the hot liquid. “I made myself eggs after my run this morning.”

Danny’s dedication to the sport of hockey never ceased to amaze Bristol. While last night’s activity in the bedroom wore her out enough to where she slept until ten in the morning, Danny was on his game getting his body ready for the training camp hell which was to begin soon.

“So, I was thinking we’d head into Philly tonight for dinner. I made 8 o’clock reservations at that restaurant you like.”

Bristol chuckled at the memories of that Italian restaurant. “That’s where I ran into you and the infamous Gina Lynn.”

“Yeah, that was a low point in my life.” Danny laughed. “But still to this day I can remember how unbelievably beautiful you looked in that black dress.”

“You remember that?” Bristol’s words were laced with laughter and amazement.

“Of course. What man wouldn’t? It hugged every curve of your body. Had I not been there with the porn star I would have fucked you right on the table…but I don’t think my date would have appreciated it.”

She cut another bite of pancake. “Probably not.”

**


At 6:30 sharp, Bristol was dressed and ready to go. She had chosen to wear one of her favorite dresses; strapless, knee length and black with a sweetheart neckline and white polka dots. She wore a thin sweater over her shoulders and went ditched her usual heels for flats as Danny wasn’t as tall as Dan. If she could save herself a night of aching feet and pinched toes should was going to. Her look wouldn’t have been complete without her signature cherry lips and all Danny could do as he watched her walk down the steps was simply gasp. She was breathtaking in his eyes. A beauty of a woman both inside and out which only came around once in a blue moon.

When she reached the bottom of the stairs, Danny immediately reached out for her and placed his hands on her wide, rounded hips. He was tempted to kiss her luscious, pouting lips, but the idea of ruining her lipstick stopped him. He’d wait until after dinner to do that.

“You look amazing.”

Bristol reached out to straighten the knot of his tie and she fired back with a comment he would only expect from her. “You can stop with flattery now. We both know you’re getting into my panties later.”

When she finished playing around with the tie’s knot, Danny, grabbed her hand and led her out to the car. Philadelphia was a city Bristol had thoroughly missed and soon the memories of both good and bad found a way of flooding back. She thanked her lucky star and Kris Versteeg.

Arriving at the restaurant, Bristol thanked the valet as he opened her door and offered a hand as she stepped out. She stared up at the sign of the Italian restaurant suddenly remembering the conversation she had with her brother six years ago in that very spot.

“Danny is a really nice guy and had I met him a year ago I’d probably be married to him.” It was the first time Bristol was even admitting that to her own self. “Whenever I spend time with Danny, it makes me realize why I’m with Daniel. He’s too…safe.”

Bristol shook her head, ridding herself of any doubt. She reminded herself that safe was what she needed, wanted now that she was a mother. Lacing her fingers with his, Danny led them into the restaurant where they had a drink at the bar before being seated at a table. It was just like old times. Laughter and good conversation was never at a shortage and by the time it was time for dessert they had gone through two bottles of wine, working on a third.

The buzz in Bristol’s body was light, she hadn’t lost her tolerance to alcohol from when she was twenty-two and rookie to the City of Brotherly Love, but what Danny did next sobered her up in heartbeat.

“What’s that?” Bristol rolled the stem of her red wine class between her fingers.

Without saying a word, Danny opened the black velvet box he had pulled out of the inside pocket of his jacket and tossed onto the table. Inside sat a princess cut diamond ring. Similar to that of the engagement ring Dan had given her. She should have expected it. The topic of marriage had been on the man’s mind since he first realized how much he loved and cared for Bristol unconditionally.

“Leave him, Bristol.” It wasn’t a suggestion. It was a demand. “We both know how much happier you’ll be if you and the kids move out of Chicago and come to New Jersey where you know you belong. You’ve always belonged with me. I can see it in your eyes, I can hear it your voice. He’s not what you want anymore. He was fun for the first six months; you know he’s screwing around behind your back and you’re with me behind his.”

Bristol stayed silent. There really wasn't much she could say. She knew every word he had said was true but Dan was her husband. The man she knew she could fall too when things are tough but moreover he’s the father of her children. Bristol didn't have the heart to up and leave the Second City, move her children halfway across the country. Dan loved those kids more than he’d ever love her.

Once he realized he wasn't going to get the answer he wanted, Danny reached for the ring box. Bristol even surprised herself when she placed her hand on his, stopping him. Pulling the band off her left ring finger, Bristol gently placed the Tiffany on the table. She slipped the ring on her finger and smiled. She wasn't making a final decision just yet; the look of the new ring shining on her finger was enough to give it a second thought.