‹ Prequel: Second City.

'Till Death

Pleasant surprise.

Bristol had just finished cooking a light dinner for Kristen and Nicholas and she only chomped on a light salad herself. With Dan being gone in Detroit the last few days for training camp, she was almost stressed beyond her limits as she readjusted to not having her husband home. Bristol missed him, there was no doubting that, but there was also no doubting the fact she missed Danny more.

The young mother listened attentively as Kristen clued Bristol in on every second and every detail of her school day. School had begun three days before Dan jetted out off to the second city he called home and Kristen would give him the same speech a few hours later over the phone as she indulged in a bowl of ice cream.

It was precisely the moments like this when Bristol felt no guilt or remorse in her idea of leaving Chicago once and for all with her children. Dan wasn’t around anymore as much as he used to be and it was Danny who really could give Bristol everything she not only wanted and desired, but what she really needed. And, most of all, Danny was ready to be a father to her children. The fact they were biologically Carcillo’s, that was a thought that never crossed his mind since the second Kristen and Nicholas were birthed into this world.

“Mommy!” Nicholas grabbed the attention when he noticed Bristol was dozing off in to her own thoughts. He had a comment he would like to interject into the conversation. “When’s daddy coming home?”

It didn’t matter if this was routine or not, it was Nicholas who always took his father’s departure the hardest. He loved watching Dan play hockey and simply being in his presence. His face would glow brighter than Bristol’s had on the first Christmas Bristol and Dan spent as newlyweds and he surprised her with a diamond ring and Cheli. Every night the two Carcillo dogs found themselves curled tight at the foot of their rightful owner.

Bristol ran a hand through Nicholas’ mane of brown hair. It amazed her how much he grew to look like Dan more and more each day. “I’m not sure, baby.”

Communication wasn’t a strong trait the couple’s relationship possessed anymore. In all honesty she wasn’t sure if he had planned on coming home at all except for the holidays.

“I miss him.” Kristen’s face long.

“I miss him, too.” Bristol admitted. Attempting to shake her mind, Bristol looked at the clock and made a motherly executive order. “Bath time!”

- -

It was nearly nine o’clock before Bristol had gotten Kristen and Nicholas down to bed. She had lost her thoughts in the program on television as she sat with her feet propped up on the glass coffee table and a pint of Ben and Jerry’s ice cream in hand. She was halfway through the 16 ounces and she for once she didn’t care if she polished the entire thing off in one sitting. It was then she realized the honeymoon was officially over; she no longer felt the need to impress Dan.
Bristol stuck her finger into the softening ice cream and held it out for Chief. The poor dog had been trying to be sly in his attempt to get some of the sweet treat. He knew had Dan been home, he wouldn’t be coming close to getting anything that wasn’t dog food.

Finally becoming bored with the television, Bristol turned it off and sat in the silence. She hated times like this. It made her feel utterly alone and that was the one feeling she hated more than anything. Putting the lid back on the ice cream and setting it on the table, Bristol caught a glimpse of her wedding band and engagement ring.

She hadn’t taken it off for anything other than washing dishes, cooking or giving her kids a bath when they were babies and now she felt like there was no use in wearing it. The marriage had fallen apart months ago. They could no longer call themselves a couple or even friends with benefits at this point. They were simply fuck buddies.

Twisting the rings off her finger, Bristol tossed then on the table before grabbing the ice cream and putting it back in the freezer. She had planned on grabbing her stashed pack of cigarettes and heading out on to the balcony with a glass of wine and enjoying a phone call to Versteeg. Kris always knew exactly what to say to the troubled young woman but since his own wedding and a little Versteeg running around his Sunrise, Florida, home, their visits and calls have gradually been on the decline.

As she slipped a lighter in to the pocket of her jeans and converse onto her feet, Bristol’s heart damn near jumped out of her poor chest as there was a knock on the front door. She hadn’t been expecting anyone considering it was damn near ten at night. There was another knock and slowly Bristol made her way to the door. She had no idea what made her intuition tell her to open it, but she was damn glad she did.

“Danny!”

Wrapping her arms around Daniel Briere’s neck, Bristol allowed herself to melt in his arms. The kiss was electrifying as their lips crashed for a feverish kiss. She had missed him more than words could express and it was like a breath of fresh air standing there swathed in his arms.

“I’ve missed you so much.” She cried out in-between kisses. She was speaking the downright truth. “What are you doing here?”

Keeping their voices down was a mutual understanding. The last thing they needed was Kristen or Nicholas or both waking up and finding Danny in the condo.

“I really wanted to see you and I know with him being gone and the kids in school, a trip out to Jersey just wouldn’t be possible for you.”

Bristol’s heart truly felt touched. She was on the verge of tears as she was so beyond happy to see Danny standing there. He confessed, “my flight leaves in the morning, though. No one knows I flew out here.”

Good, Bristol thought. The last thing she needed was people asking questions as to why Danny was flying out to Chicago.

“Fuck, I’ve missed you.” Danny exhaled as he ran his fingers through her hair and collided their lips for another kiss.

Shimming out of his arms for a second, Bristol strutted her way to the small bar and grabbed a bottle of Jameson whiskey from the cabinet. It brought back memories of the first night Bristol and Danny had rekindled the flame to their romance. Staying up late—way past the hour of 2 in the morning—drinking and laughing until it ended with them tangled in the bed which she slept with her husband.

“You’re a terrible influence on me.” Danny joshed he laced his fingers with Bristol’s as she led him out on to the balcony. It was perfect, crisp night without a single cloud in the sky.

Grabbing the bottle from Bristol’s hand, Danny set it on the wrought iron table before grabbing hold her wide hips. She could feel the hotness of his breath on her mouth as their lips lightly touched before enveloping one another.

“So what’s your answer?” He asked.

Bristol at first gave him a confused look, unsure of what he was asking until it finally hit her. “My answer is, yes. I want to be with you.”