Life Is Ours, We Live It Our Way

July 27, 2011.

Sometimes it's ironic where you find someone. It can be in the grocery store, someone you've known your whole life, or someone you just run into and hit it off with. In my case, it was even more cliche.

I got my first job when I moved back to Ohio from Florida. My best friend, Allen, had a job at McDonald's and told me they were hiring. I filled out my application, got an interview and got a job there. Working with my best friend was the best thing I had ever done. We would 'car pool' together and go to work. Which usually meant, I picked him up for work, and took him home. Which at the time wasn't a big deal until he moved 25 minutes away from Dayton, and ended up quitting McDonald's.

I remember one day, I saw a guy walk into work, smile politely at me, and clock in. And like any other girl I've ran across, I thought, 'he's gorgeous!' I never knew his name, or anything else, and at the time I was dating someone else.

I expressed my 'interest', if you will, to my best friend. He gave me many details about the guy I had a crush on. But he only knew so much, which curved my curiosity even more. So, I did what any other person in this new day and age would do; I hunted his ass down on Facebook and I sent him a friend's request.

It was late June/early July when Cory and I started having simple Facebook conversations. I'm sure then, there was harmless flirting, but I knew really could guess what it would turn into.

We stopped talking to each other after he got back from vacation in Tennessee and my best friend at the time went back to Florida. Let me tell you, work was awkward.

We didn't speak for what seemed like years, but turned out was only a week. If it wasn't for me picking up a shift at work on a Sunday, I'm not sure if we would have started talking again. But, I remember coming to the front of the store and going to take over his position 'presenting' as they call it at McDonald's.

It was a pretty awkward conversation, he simply asked if I was taking over for him, and I just nodded my head.

As soon as I left work, I had a text message from him. He complemented me on looking 'beautiful' at work.

We soon started talking again, and with help from my best friend, we went on our first date. That consisted of, putt putt golfing, the mall, letting me drive his mustang, and sitting at a park for two hours just talking about anything and everything.

We went on two more dates afterwards. But the most special date to me, was the night we officially started dating. We sat at the river, starting out at the lights and skyline, just talking again. This time it lasted for around four hours, towards the end, he asked me to be his girlfriend, and ever since July 27, 2011 we've been together and as strong as ever.

But like any relationship, we've been tested many times. Mostly, by his family.

He's from a very strict military, catholic family. They were very upset about our age difference when we started dating. I was 16, and he was 20. (I'm now almost 18, and he's 21).

His family made sure they treated me as if I wasn't welcomed in their family or in there home, and made sure Cory knew it too.

I read a few text messages on Cory's phone from his sister, and that broke my heart. They would call me trashy, and other things of the sort. From that moment on, I decided to myself that I didn't care if Cory's family liked me or not, what really mattered to me is what he felt about me. Nearly a month and a half after Cory and I started dating, he said those three little words that sealed the deal for me, I love you.

For a little over three months, I never met his family, or spoke to them, until the night of my 17th birthday. Cory, my best friend, my brother's girlfriend Jasmine, and his little sister decided that we were going to go out to a haunted cave to celebrate my birthday. Lucky me, we had to go and pick up his sister from his house, and let me tell you, that was the most awkward thirty minutes of my life. But also, turned out to be one the smartest things I had ever done.

From my birthday to December 22, I never went back to Cory's house, until his little brother's birthday. As it turned out, it wasn't as bad as I had expected it to be. Even after Nick's birthday, I went back to Cory's house for Christmas Eve, the Superbowl/his dad's birthday, out to breakfast with his mom, dinner for his mom's birthday, and other events. Eventually they all started warming up to me, and I created a 'bond' if you will with his sister and his brother. Where his parents are concerned, it's never really been a big aspect to me whether they'll have my approval or not, simply because they've tried just about as much as I have.

Our relationship is stronger than ever, and I wouldn't trade a damn thing in this world for him. We've had our ups and downs but there's no other person I've been so sure about to say I can and will spend the rest of my life with them.