Status: Finished! Go read the sequel!

Fixated

Clever Conversation

Edie flounced into the room containing Loki’s cell with a huff. She wasn’t happy with this idea but the Captain had successfully talked her into it. Besides, she felt like she owed SHEILD for dealing with her uncle over the years.

“My, my,” Loki’s eyes lit up as they ran over Edie, “this is certainly a surprise. Why are you not in uniform?”

“I don’t have one,” Edie responded dully. She situated herself in a mildly uncomfortable chair near the control panel that featured the certain big red button.

“You’re not an operant of SHEILD?” Loki questioned.

“Nope,” Edie shook her head.

“Then pray-tell, what does a brave young woman like you occupy her time with?” Loki asked with a chortle.

“I’m a performer,” Edie answered. She didn’t like answering his questions, but she hoped that if she played along with him then he would do the same for her.

“Really? The surprises continue,” Loki said with an amused smile.

“Sorry I’m not sorry,” Edie said sassily and Loki legitimately laughed.

“What is your medium?” he asked.

“Dancing, acting, but my true talent is singing,” she smiled.

“And what would I have to do to earn the honor of having you sing for me?” Loki smirked.

“You could tell me where the Tesseract is,” Edie smiled flirtatiously.

“That is a high price for a song,” he retorted.

“I promise I’m worth it,” she batted her eyelashes.

Loki chuckled, “You’re quite the little minx aren’t you?” Edie simply sat back and smirked, picking at her nails slightly.

“Please explain to me, if you are not a member of SHEILD then why are you sitting in here with me?” Loki asked after a few moments of silence.

“Apparently you needed a babysitter and I have experience with bratty children throwing fits because they didn’t get their way,” Edie shot.

“What impressive venom. I take it you’re not fond of me,” Loki said calmly.

“Putting it mildly,” Edie glared.

“And yet you humor me with my questions,” Loki added.

“I lack reading material,” she retorted smartly.

“I have to say you’re amusing to me as well,” he grinned. “Now I must say something confuses me most about you,” he began and Edie simply raised an eyebrow. “Your name,” he finished.

“My name is Eden Marcela Cabral. Everyone calls me Edie,” she explained, unsure of what he was so confused about.

“Beautiful,” he smiled. It wasn’t a smirk, but it was a genuine sideways smile. The kind that he shot her the first night they met; the kind that had potential to give her butterflies.

“Thank you,” Edie said sweetly.

“And the significance of such a beautiful name?”

“There’s a famous story on Earth about the origins of man. The original man and woman lived in a paradise where they wanted for nothing until they betrayed their God and He forced them to leave,” she summed up the story. “The paradise was called the Garden of Eden.”

“Seems appropriate,” Loki smirked. As his eyes ran over her long legs he imagined that her body would feel like a paradise.

“Don’t look at me like that,” Edie narrowed her eyes.

“I’m sorry, have I offended you?” Loki asked.

“If you did, would it matter?”

“I suppose not, so long as I didn’t tempt you to press the red button in front of you,” he smirked and Edie laughed slightly. “It’s hard to believe you’re related to the Iron Man.”

“A lot of people say that,” Edie giggled.

“You’re not nearly as offending as he is,” Loki rolled his eyes.

“I’m not sure that’s true,” Edie began. “I think I’m just cuter, so I get away with more.” Loki laughed out loud.

“You are more entertainment than I have had in a long time,” he laughed, pacing his cell slightly.

“Not the first time I’ve heard that,” Edie grinned. She didn’t want to admit it to herself, but part of her liked him. Besides the fact that he was virtually psychotic with his plans to take over the world, he was fun to be around. Well, as long as there was a cell separating them.

Loki smiled as he looked at the unique brunette sitting across the room from him. She was quick-witted and not afraid to express her feelings. Perhaps he would keep her around once he won the Earth.

“So, something is perplexing me,” Edie began. “Why the hell are you here?”

“What do you mean?” he asked with a sly smile.

“What is forcing you to be here? When I went to kick you, you disappeared to the other side of the room. What’s stopping you now?” Edie asked, leaning forward.

“You are clever,” Loki chuckled.

“As much as I enjoy compliments, don’t change the subject,” Edie’s eyes narrowed.

“What is your opinion, Miss Edie?”

“I think you’re biding your time.”

“Perhaps I’m afraid of plummeting to the earth in a cage of metal and glass,” Loki suggested.

“Perhaps,” Edie shrugged. Loki saw that it was clear in her eyes that she didn’t believe him.

“I think you’re trying to get me into trouble,” Loki smirked.

“You seem to be doing a good enough job of that yourself,” Edie retorted smugly.

“I suppose so,” he nodded with a smile.

Just then the door opened and Natasha came walking in. She looked directly at Edie and said, “You’re off. I’ve got it from here.”

“Our time’s up,” Edie shrugged towards Loki.

“Until we meet again, Miss Edie,” Loki nodded courteously. Though he would have loved to kiss her cheek again, he was obviously restrained from doing so. Instead he would have to watch her walk away, the master assassin taking her place.

“He’s all yours,” Edie winked at Natasha.

“Thanks for your help,” Natasha said professionally.

Edie rolled her eyes as she walked out of the room, relieved to put some distance between the super-human sociopath and herself. Talking to him was exhausting and she hadn’t slept in far too long. Resolving to find Tony’s room and collapse in it, she made her way down the hallway.

“Miss Cabral,” a voice called and Edie turned to see Nick Fury walking towards her. “You did an excellent job in there. Though he didn’t betray anything, you’ve certainly gained his trust.”

“Thanks,” Edie gave him a tired smile. “If you excuse me, I’m going to go take a well-deserved nap. But let me know if you need me again.”

“I’m certain we will,” Fury nodded. “We might even need you in future endeavors.”

“Sorry Fury, I’m a singer. I don’t do espionage,” Edie said brightly as she walked away, leaving Fury with a smile on his face.

Edie walked halfway across the ship until she came across the room Tony was using. She collapsed on the bed and cuddled into a pillow, a contented sigh escaping her lips. At least she knew that in there she wouldn’t be able to find any trouble.
♠ ♠ ♠
What do you think of Edie and Loki's interaction?