Status: churning out chapters as fast as I can.

Midgard

Chapter Three

The night came swiftly, darkness enveloping the grounds, making escape seemingly easy. But nothing would be easy now. Nothing. My room was quiet, cold; I’d left the window wide open. The net curtains swayed in the rough breeze. I’d come here after the House Meeting adjourned. Who knew how long ago that was. My eyes wandered around the walls, gazing at the cracks in the plaster and the shards of wallpaper still left on the walls. I’d been in this room since early childhood. I’d watched the walls wither, the carpet wear and furniture break. This was my home; soon to be my prison. While picking at my bed sheets, the light pink fabric looking grey and dreary, I felt a wave of heartache weigh me down. I uncrossed my legs and let my body fall backwards, curling into a ball, my eyes level with my bedside table.

A small light sat at the far edge, with a notepad and one picture frame. I looked at the photo, admiring the small piece of glass that housed my favourite memory. The grainy paper displayed Jamie and I at Park Valhöll, on the far side of Midgard; our arms around each other, with wide grins holding our heads and spirits high. We were standing outside the enclosed jungle after entering the astonishing heat. We’d set our focus on the incredible creatures within; only the heat was too much and caused both of us to sweat uncontrollably. The dark patches on our clothes were easily seen in the photo, our skin pink and shiny, but we were still grinning. I knew at this moment, while I was longing to relive this day, I would never be able to go back. My eyes would never again see the endangered butterflies, birds, flowers and trees.

My mind stopped for a second, allowing the cries of children to be heard from the hallways; my ears began to open up to the hopelessness. So blindsided by my own wishes, my own memories, I hadn’t considered the younglings. I hastily stepped out of my room and the shrieking began. The four walls had enclosed me, cut off my mind from the others, this was I trick I’d had to learn – hearing everyone’s thoughts in Longleaf Boarding was horrendous. I shut the door behind me, leaving my safe place to comfort others. I turned left, toward the faculty and pre-teen housing. A group of adults, non-mutants, rushed past me with suitcases and bags packed to the brim. I knew one, and tried to grab her attention. She ignored me, guilt running through her mind, but kept on moving forwards. Abandoning us like everyone else.

I turned, about to head for the pre-teens, but I was stopped in my tracks. A group of three young mutants stood against a wall; hugging each other and crying. Thundering, chest-quivering wails leaving their mouths. Rage seared through me, an emotion I was unfamiliar with, as I looked at their little faces. For a split second I wished I had an offensive power. With that, I instantly went to the children and knelt in front of them. I wiped away as many tears as I could before I started speaking.

“Shh. You’re all okay.” I tucked one girl’s hair behind her ear, and looked at each of them. “I need you to listen to me, okay? You all are so brave, and you need to be a little braver.” I picked up the smallest girl, and took the other two’s hands. Leading them into one of the teachers’ old rooms, I discovered it was basically empty with a few personal belongings left behind. I put the girl down and they sat themselves where they felt comfortable. “You need to stay here and keep each other safe. I will be back with some toys and more of you, alright?” I felt horrible leaving them, but if I wanted to fight then others must be fighting already. It wasn’t safe for them in the halls. I left the room and shut the door behind me. I looked around the messy and broken hallway for something sharp and pointed. A nail was a little up the hall. I grabbed it and returned to the door. I etched the old word for child, “barn”, into the wood.

I already knew of two other telepaths in our house, I figured out of anyone they would hear me the best. I called out as loudly as I could with my mind, asking and pleading for help gathering the children to the teachers’ rooms. Chaos had engulfed us within hours; some scrambling to leave and the rest pulling at others to stay. Bitzego, and his murder, had caused a divide to strike down the middle of our harmonious home. I waited, patiently, outside the door for a reply; any reply.

Two voices chimed together, a chorus of “yes’” filling my mind. I left quickly, finding the nurseries and playrooms. I collected as many brightly coloured toys as I could, holding them all tight to my chest, while keeping my eyes open for younglings. Two were cowering in a hallway just outside the playroom, I noticed them on my way out, and invited them to follow me. They complied, and I led them to the room where the others were hiding. Once inside I was greeted with the other telepaths. A boy and a girl, much younger than me, but both were able and willing to look after the others. The girl sat on the floor, playing with toys and entertaining them, while the boy talked to me. His brown eyes red and tired from crying, I said nothing and allowed him to speak.

“We’re happy to help,” he smiled half-heartedly, and continued, “It’s getting crazy down by the House of Fenrir.” I pried into his mind, knowing it was the quickest way to see what he meant. Scenes of fighting and violence erupting against faculty, a sure way to start a riot and get us all exterminated. Searching through quickly, I watched as his face contorted and protested; he was a telepath, he could feel and see everything I looked at. I knew it was unpleasant, but it had to be done, and I hoped he understood. I stopped and withdrew. I looked down, ashamed of the total violation and intrusion.

“I’m sorry,” I walked away, as fast as I could, to the House of Fenrir. As I got closer I heard a ruckus, could I feel the heat of fire? Quickening my pace, I began to run, sidestepping anyone and everyone in my way. So many of us running away with cuts and bruises, crying in fear and pain. The future hit me like an invisible wall; Jamie breaking up fights, absorbing any powers he could find and using them to frighten off others wanting to fight. I hurried my pace, hoping my foresight was wrong.

The House Lounge of Fenrir was destroyed, chairs on fire and upturned tables, cabinets ripped off the walls. Göll was there, in the background, pinning several people on the ground with just one hand. Several mutants fighting each other with fiery bits of wood, throwing any object they could pick up. Jamie was in the middle of it all, spinning and kicking. The noise was unbearable. Hundreds of Fenririan’s using their voices in the loudest ways possible. I took a second look at Jamie; he wasn’t himself. He’d absorbed someone’s powers causing him to be covered in wolf-like fur, his face contorted into a snout, his teeth sharp and snarling at everyone. In one of his arms he held a little girl, curled up, keeping her safe from the fighting. I watched, astounded, and realised he was helping her in exchange for her gift. How could such a large wolf-like being be contained in such a small girl? I didn’t have time to contemplate, I had to help. Holly. I needed Holly.

I scouted the halls, asking everyone in sight for a small yet fierce girl with long wavy hair. I kept running, looking, listening; her mind was always loud. I concentrated all my efforts into listening for her voice. I heard it, nearby, behind a door. She was whispering to someone, panicking about the outburst of anger and fear. I ran through a maze of halls, the House of Fenrir was unfamiliar territory, until I heard her voice with my ears. I ran through the door, slamming it into the wall with a lot of force. The handle stuck into the plaster, making an impressive crack in the wall and the door. I looked at it, surprised.

Breathlessly, I looked at her with such intensity. She knew I was serious. “Holly, I need you.”

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Holly stood with her legs spaced evenly with her shoulders, her hands quivering by her sides and her eyes were wary. She watched the ensuing madness and knew there was no other option, but she was hesitant all the same. She never used her gift, ever; she daren’t even clap her hands in case she took any building or mountain down. So much force was contained within her, she felt like she was out of control every time she let it out.

“What if I bring the whole building down?” her brow furrowed, worry coursing through her mind. I sighed, exacerbated.

“We don’t really have any other choice, just try and aim it at people…” I gave her a look, between pleading and concern. She gulped, swallowing her nervousness.

She brought her hands in front of her face and closed her eyes, calming herself; she fanned out her fingers and stretched her arms out in front of her. Pushing her hands together tightly, she drew energy from inside and around her. All of her body, her fingers and arms especially, was tensing and shaking ready to produce a large amount of energy. Slowly she pulled her hands apart, showing a blue glimmer where her hands were. As she pulled her arms apart the glimmer grew into a ball of blue flames, ready to burst and spread across the area. With arms outstretched to her side, her face showed the strain as she held and gained more energy within the flames. In a sudden movement she drew her hands together in a clapping motion, the blue flames rippling outward in a circle, away from her body, over the whole campus of Longleaf. I tried to keep myself standing but when the ripple hit my body I was on the floor; just like everyone else.

Once it was over I looked up at Holly, laying on my back, and smiled.