Scrub Up!

Epinephrine and hello kitty bra

"Ellie, I'm going to break up with Rob," I sigh she had hated him since day one.

"Good Riddance! I hate him, Sal. He hit on me at that new years party, when I was 16!" she shuddered.

"El! You were at a college party dressed as a firework, he only asked if he could make your night explosive, plus you looked 18 and you flirting around too." I laugh.

"Sal, that is not the only time, last winter he slipped his hand up my shirt, it was originally an awkward peck under the mistletoe, I was tipsy. He went into full make out mode!" She revealed.

"Eleanor! How could you! He is my boyfriend!" I snap as I remember my 17 birthday, when she was making out with my crush, she could never leave anyone unavailable alone. I storm off.

As Ellie runs to catch up with me, a woman collapses two metres in front of us.
I run over, starting first aid as Eleanor phoned an ambulance.
I look her over quickly.

There was no immediate danger, she is still convulsing though, I pulled off my jumper, revealing my scrub top, I folded it and placed it under her head, as she slowed her movements, this is when I finally heard Eleanor's fretting. “Oh, Sally, don’t you have to be careful of her swallowing her tongue!” She started remembering the medical programs we watched when we were younger, “Sally, can’t you do something else?” she continued.

“Ellie, she can’t swallow her tongue! I still have to make sure it doesn't obstruct her breathing though. Plus El, I’m only a junior doctor, barely more than a nurse, I can’t do nothing else… without supervision. I can’t do serious medicine outside of school” I said to calm Ellie down.

"Sally, you’re not a Wizard! It’s not Hogwarts!” Eleanor sighed as she saw me roll my eyes.

“Ugh, Ellie wrong time!” I snapped.
As I searched though this woman’s bag, a sirens was blaring about a mile away. I find an Epi-pen in the bag.

“Oh my god what is that!” Eleanor shocked at the plastic vial in my hand. I put it next to me as I search the still shaking woman’s neck, a medical necklace was strung around her throat! I flip it and it states ‘Diabetic’. Crap!

“El, I need you to hold her thigh still,” I say taking charge. Eleanor does as I say but starts to panic as I remove the safety caps from the automatic needle. I position my grip properly as I bang it firmly on her thigh; I feel the bounce of the needle as Eleanor looked on in shock. I remove the needle and remove my scrub top so I could use it to put pressure on the small injection site; leaving me in only my old lucky pink hello kitty bra, I make Eleanor hold the top as the ambulance arrives, blaring.

Out of the ambulance jumps a male paramedic, who holds back a laugh as he takes in my attire for a second before his female counterpart hits him across the head playfully.
“What… has happened.” he asks me.

“She collapsed just over five minutes ago, I cushioned her head. I searched through her bag for an ID as Eleanor phoned, I noticed the Epinephrine Pen and read her medallion which stated she was diabetic, I gave her the 3mg of Epi, into her thigh two minutes ago and applied pressure.” I state matter of factually; they perform their duties as I comfort Eleanor, who was now holding my soiled scrub top as I hugged her close. Telling her goodbye as she apologised for having to leave me, I gave her some of my alcohol gel and told her I’d see her tonight. She smiled a queasy smile, probably hoping never to be in that situation again.

As they load the woman to the ambulance I pick up my jumper and walk up to the female paramedic. As I now pulled on my jumper, covering my bra I asked her “Do you mind if I jump in, I’m on my way to the hospital any way…” I smile showing her my I.D.

She nods placing me in the back as she started the siren and drove on her way. The male paramedic watched over the woman and filled in his paperwork, I noticed his name badge said ‘C. Phillips.’

This was the first time I noticed his neat but growing out hair, a brown colour that changed when the florescent light hit it. He rubbed his small stubble as he checked her blood pressure. His mouth was small but hansom, his eyes large and puppy like. He frowned when he scrawled down the numbers, the frown did not belong on that face.
As we pulled up, the doors flew open and I jumped out, to stay out of the way… except that my knee gave way and I landed in C. Phillips arms. I stood up fast, as he started lifting down the gurney.

“There is a step.” He said curtly. As he rushed off into the A E as I hear a small cough from behind me, I pull my eyes from his retreating butt.

“Are you Sally Harrison?” I turned to face an older woman, a nurse.

“Yes,” I smiled. She turned and did a little wave over her shoulder meaning for me to walk with her. She looked pissed at the fact she was doing my orientation.

“Your timetable.” She said flatly, passing me some paperwork. “Try not to be late. You will be under Dr Bennett Carter, head of trauma.” I gulp, Trauma… or first on scene (FOS) was one of the most distressing departments for a junior, many J.Ds (junior doctors) had dropped out before the end of the first shift, and specialised as dermatologists or pediatricians instead, I smiled at her.

“You will need to go to admin at lunch and fill in the necessary forms." I sighed at her instruction "Here is doctor Carter.” said the Nurse, I read her badge which said Martyr, I misread her name it is Myrtar, but I could tell she is close to being a martyr due to her exasperated sigh which dragged out for several seconds.
I looked at my nails for a second too long and I heard C. Phillips voice.

“Ah? Myrtar. Is this Miss Harrison,” I turned my head to see his face when my eyes widen.
He’s all smartened up and wearing a White Coat! The badge now read, Dr B. Carter, MD.
His eyes widen and also just for a second darkened in dismay, then they were back to their bright blue. “Thank you, Myrtar.” He said as she walked off.

I feel sick, I already have a crush on my mentor!
“But you’re…” We both say at the same time, CRAP! I hate first days.
I then see his face again and gasp! Not only is he my Mentor he's also the Cute "new" Guy from the pub.
"Do I know you?" he asks.