Scrub Up!

Saved by the bell

“Sally,” It’s Harriett she acknowledges my sigh as response, “Sally, I was wondering if you had a list of the parents of the bus children, you see the bus was from my school and I have two boys who should have been on the bus in detention, one of them is named Luke, he says his parents work at the hospital.”

“Harriett, is his last name Phillips?” I ask hopeful, there is a pause I hear mumbling.

“Yes, Sally. His mother’s name is Lisa and his father is Charles.” I hear her telling me and I am rejoiced, wait! What was Miriam’s boy called? JAMES!

“The other boy, is he James?” I asked sounding desperate.

“Why yes, Sally. James is so stubborn that he wouldn’t leave Luke as he was visiting his house tonight, got himself a detention so I had no choice.” She chuckled.

“Oh Harriett, you have just made my day! Tonight we are going out for tea my treat,” I smiled.

I turned and ran straight to Ben’s office, Lisa was in tears Pip was consoling her as they filled in their notes for the day, Ben was filling his TRAUMA notes in, I don’t even knock. “Ben, please can I talk to you for a second,” I ask not letting anything on.

Ben follows me and starts talking, “I won’t be in tomorrow, I’ve arranged for Dr Nelly Boyden to let you shadow her for the day…” he looked depressed.

“Ben, please. I might have some good news, my aunt Harriett is a teacher at Gulstone Secondary, she has had two students in detention, one of which is called Luke Phillips and his parents work here, he and his friend were supposed to be on the bus too is name James, just like Miriam’s son.” I smile and Ben sad eyes glow with hope.

“Can I talk to him? The boy who could be Luke?” he asks, I nod handing him the phone. "Helloo..." I see his throat tremor "Luke," he looks joyful, "Luke I'm gonna tell your mum and Miriam I'll be down at the school in ten, Luke... I love you." He put the phone down and started to cry.

"Ben, are you okay." I asked stepping a foot fall forward. He looked up and I see he is smiling. He walks in the office, he runs and hugs Lisa and Pip who are pulling different faces as they hear Ben saying over and over that James and Luke are alive.

Lisa shoots up first. "I need to tell Miriam!" She is smiling and hyperventilating a little "Pip start the car!"

I smile as they go, each one hugs me and then they get in the car, I smile and then walk to the bus.

I phone Ellie, we decide to dress up and go to the bar tonight, I knew that Ben probably wouldn't be there, but it would be fun Ellie had laughed about the fact I met my boss in my bra, saying at least the sexual tension should be halved.

When I walked in the house and hugged Ellie she sniffed the top and laughed, "Sally! you haven't already copped off with a cute doctor have you!" She smiled.

I sighed, "No, Ellie he just lent me a top" I smiled.