Status: Complete! :)

Surprise

Chapter Twenty-four

"Mom, I don't think – " she interrupted me.
"Bella! I mean it! Now!" Kiley stirred in my arms, a reaction to the sudden loud noise.
Edward decided to intervene. "Renee, I really think it's best if you go back downstairs." he said it in a stern tone.
"No. Someone is going to explain things right this minute!"
Just as she finished her sentence, my cell phone rang. I looked over to see it on the night-stand.
I answered it. "Hello?"
"They aren't planning on stopping until they get some answers." I heard Alice's bell like voice say. Then the line went dead.
"Edward," I started.
"I know. I heard her."
"What are you going to do?" I asked under my breath. I could barely hear myself, but I knew that he could hear me.
"Well, if they want the truth, they can get the truth." he said it just loud enough that Mike and Renee could hear it.
He turned to them again.
"Renee, I trust you, so you must know that what I'm about to do is not because of you. Mike however," he turned to Mike. "I don't trust as much. I don't know if we can trust him with our secret. He is the reason I'm doing this."
He took his cell phone out and quickly dialed a number. What was he going to do?
"Esme, I need you to lock up the house. . .I already have his cell phone, so that should do it."
The second he shut his phone, steel shutters started rolling down the big, glass windows. I've only seen them once before, and that was when we were running from James and Victoria.
Mom and Mike started to look nervous. Mostly Mike.
"I want my phone back." Mike said to Edward.
"Okay." he said, then he flipped it over, took the battery and SIM card out, and handed it to him. "There you go."
Mike frowned, looking down at the useless phone in his hand.
Edward sighed. "We're vampires." he said simply, like it was no big deal.
"Va-va-vam-vampires?" Mike stuttered, holding back a laugh. "I knew you were crazy, Cullen!" he broke out into a laughing fit.
Edward growled, quietly.
"If you're a 'vampire', then where are your fangs and how can you go out during the day?!" he was still laughing.
He growled again, but this time it wasn't so quiet.
That made Mike shut-up. He stared at Edward for a moment. Renee did to.
"It's true you know." I said. "Their vampires. I figured it out when I first met them."
"Bella, vampires don't exist." Renee told me.
I sighed. This was getting frustrating. "We can prove it."
"Yeah, I'd like to see that." Mike said sarcastically.
"Come down stairs." Edward commanded. They followed, as did I.
When we got to the bottom of the stairs, we saw the rest of the Cullens sitting in the living room.
"Who's going first?" he asked.
"Don't you need to tell them what their going first for?" Mike asked.
"They know, they heard our whole conversation."
"And I want you prove it first."
"Fine." Edward said. "I'm the fastest runner in the family and I'm a mind reader."
"Ha! Yeah, sure you are. What number am I thinking of right now then?"
"Seven."
"Why?"
"Because it's your birthday. Month and day."
"Lucky guess." he mumbled. ". . .you said that you were the fastest runner. . .what does that have to do with anything?"
"Vampires are fast runners. We move fast in general, but when we live among humans we need to go slow."

- - - - - -
Edward's P. O. V.

'I don't think so buddy. . .' Mike thought. 'Vampires don't exist.'
This should prove something to him. I got an evil grin.
Quickly, at vampire speed, I bent down and pantsed him.
I did it so quickly, that to any human, it wouldn't look like I moved a muscle.
My family and I started laughing. Then Bella and Renee started laughing. Mike's face turned red as he scrambled to pick his pants back up from around his ankles.
"Oh, Edward I want to go next!" Emmett yelled.
"Okay, Emmett."
He smiled and walked over. "We're super strong to." he demonstrated by lifting the couch, Alice and Jasper still on it.
"Em, put us down now." Alice told him.
He obeyed.
We turned back to Mike, who's eyes were as wide as saucers.
He gulped. "Okay. I believe you. . ." he said in a quiet voice. "But I don't know about any deaths or anything. . .and Carlisle's a doctor. How can that be? Don't you drink blood?"
"Yes we drink blood." I answered. "But, unlike other vampires, we only drink animal blood. We're vegetarians in a way."
"How can you go out during the day without burning up?"
Jasper answered this question. "That's a myth. We aren't effected by holey water, crosses, wooden stakes. . .not much can harm us."
"What can harm you? Since everything I seem to know is a myth."
"We will only die if we get ripped to pieces and burned." he smiled. "If you even tried staking us, the wood would just break. Any material would really."
"Uh-huh. . ." Mike said slowly. "I'm going to leave now. . ." he started toward the door.
"Stop him!" I yelled. "He's planning on telling everyone."
Rose jumped at him. "I'm not leaving town just yet kid." she muttered. she pinned his arms behind his back.
Just as she pushed him into the couch, Alice's eyes went blank. A vision.
"Just let him go." she said after a minute. "He'll tell everyone, but they will think he's crazy. He'll end up being sent to an asylum if he keeps going on about it to. We won't need to move either."
Rose released him and he ran for the door.
We watched as he left.
'Wow. . .vampires. . .' Renee thought. She was still in shock over the fact.
"Come on, Love." I wrapped my arm around Bella's waist and lead her up to the nursery.
She set Kiley down in her bassinet and she fell asleep quickly.
"I love you." I said to Bella. "Your going to be a wonderful mother."
"I love you to." she smiled. "And your going to be a fantastic father."
I kissed her deeply, lovingly, as the beginning of our new life together began.
What a wonderful life.