Status: first story, so try to go easy on me, please.

Stay Positive.

Small Talk and Bliss.

"So, what's his name?"

Damon snapped out of his trance as he heard the girl speak. Moving his gaze from the window and back to her, he raised a sharp, confused eyebrow. "Excuse me?"

"Your puppy. What's his name?"

He chuckled, looking down at the small brown dog and scratching behind her ears. "She's a girl," He corrected politely, "and I haven't really decided on a name yet." After a few seconds of silence, he turned to the girl and smiled at her. "I'm Damon, by the way. Thank you for giving me a ride."

She glanced at him with her own smile, nodding. "No problem, Damon. I'm Jordan. It's nice to meet you. What happened to your car, anyways?"

Damon moved his gaze back to the window, the puppy laying down in his lap adjusting to her comfort as Damon began to stroke her back. "Mustangs are weird sometimes. You see, there's this thing called theft mode. My car suddenly locked into that mode and just wouldn't come out. So, in a way, the car still worked, but was just too stubborn to let me drive it."

Jordan giggled softly, brushing her hair out of her eyes. "That's actually kind of stupid." Damon nodded. "Am I supposed to turn here?"

"Um, no. The next one. Turn right at the next light," He instructed her, looking down at the small dog curled up in his lap. He glanced around, slightly uncomfortable in the awkward silence. As he did so, he noticed a booster seat in the back seat of the SUV. He looked at Jordan with a curious expression, a small smile on his face. "You have kids?"

Jordan seemed slightly stunned at his answer, but then she remembered the booster seat in the back and shook her head. "Oh, no. My sister has a four year-old. He comes over a lot," She explained. When more silence ensued, she decided to touch a little more upon the subject. "His name is Danger - he's going to love that when he's in college." They both laughed half-heartedly, the tension of sitting awkwardly in the car still thick in the air. "Why do you ask? Do you have children?"

Damon shook his head immediately, chuckling at the thought. "Dogs are enough for me, at the moment," he replied, once again looking down at the now sleeping puppy in his lap.

Once the SUV pulled up in front of Damon's house, he turned to Jordan as he climbed out and scooped up the small puppy. "Thank you again," he said, and she nodded.

"Anytime." She pulled out a small card from her purse and handed it to him. "If you ever need anything, call me."

As she drove off, Damon walked up his driveway, studying the business card she had handed him. Wow. He got her number. That's the most action he'd ever gotten since Junior High. He sighed as he walked through the door, setting down the puppy. She ran off towards her food bowl, and Damon locked the door behind him, setting the card and his keys on a small table beside the door.

"It's time for bed, Baby Girl. Don't eat too much!"
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry that this chapter isn't that great. I just thought it would be more entertaining to write about their car ride than to write about him going back to the gas station and dealing with his car again.
Tell me what you think?