Status: comments

Purple Roses and Goodbyes

Time of Your Life

"Layla, stop!" Gavin wiggled under Layla's grip.

She was hugging Gavin just to make him uncomfortable, pressing her body against his.

"You have got to come out of this shell of yours, Gav!" she told him, ruffling her hair through his curly hair.

He shoved a blanket at her, averting his eyes. "Just... cover up,"

They were on the beach with a group of friends and Layla wore a colorful bikini and sunglasses. When she'd arrived, each of the guys on the beach had stopped to stare.

Gavin, being her best friend, had immediately become protective, keeping his place next to Layla all day.

She wrapped the blanket around her waist, knowing he still wouldn't approve, and grabbed his hand, pulling him back toward the beach.

They came to a split path. "Now where did everyone else go?" Layla asked rhetorically.

Another turning point, a fork stuck in the road.

"Eenie, meenie, miney, this one!" she said, choosing the path on the right.

Time grabs you by the wrist, directs you where to go.

They ran down the path, laughing and finally finding the rest of their crowd.

This was the last day of summer. And the first day of the rest of their lives. They would all be off to college soon and they were trying to enjoy their last day together.

So make the best of this test, and don't ask why...

Everyone watched as Layla stood to give a short speech.

"I've never been honest with you guys. I've always been popular, but not for the right reasons. I've always been smarter than I've let you believe and I will always regret not sharing the real me with all of you. Because pretty doesn't get you half as far as smart!"

It's not a question but a lesson learned in time...

"And I want to say thank you to the one person who knows me. The real me. My best friend, Gavin,"

She blew a kiss in his direction and took her seat again.

Another of the girls stood announcing that she'd been accepted into Harvard. Everyone cheered and congratulated her.

It's something unpredictable, but in the end it's right.

And by now, everyone had tears in their eyes, reflecting on their four years together.

I hope you've had the time of your life.

Layla and Gavin sat on opposite sides of the bonfire, just watching the scene before them.

So take the photographs and still frames in your mind.

I'm going to keep these moments forever, Layla thought, letting a tear fall.

Hang them on a shelf in good health and good time.

Gavin stood and walked over, sitting down next to her and putting his arm around her. She cried into his shoulder.

"I just don't wanna go!" she said, her voice catching in her throat.

"I know," he said. "I know."

Tattoos of memories and dead skin on trial.

"Just remember the good moments," he whispered.

She smiled up at him. "Are you kidding? They were all good moments!" He laughed and hugged her tighter.

For what it's worth, it was worth it all the while.

One of the boys in the group stood up, telling the group of the backpacking trip through Africa he plans to take. Once again, everyone cheers and congratulates, waiting for the next unexpected announcement.

It's something unpredictable, but in the end it's right.

"I'm gonna miss you guys," the boy said. "And I'll make sure to send plenty of pictures!"

I hope you've had the time of your life.

The class couple stood up then, the star quarterback and head cheerleader. They watched as he got down on one knee. "Will you marry me?"

She answered yes while crying and hugged him.

It's something unpredictable, but in the end it's right.

"Oh, and I've been drafted into the NFL," he announced.

Someone began to pass out purple balloons. "The color purple represents many things. And as we release these, let them symbolize the wisdom and mystery of the future, the independence we have here in the present, and the creativity and magic of our high school years.

"As you let them go, make a wish, and have faith that it will come true."

The sky was suddenly filled with purple balloons, all floating toward the sun.

I hope you've had the time of your life.

Gavin suddenly grabbed Layla's hand and pulled her from her seat, running across the beach.

"Where are we going?" she asked.

They stopped walking at a place where there lay purple roses on the ground. He picked them up. "For you,"

"Aww, Gavin!" She held them up, pulling them in toward her chest. "They're beautiful!"

They sat in silence for a little while, laying on their backs and watching the sky.

"You know, Gav, you've always been so quiet and shy. You have to promise me you'll be a little more spontaneous," Layla said, looking up at the sunset.

Gavin sat up. "More spontaneous?" he said. Layla sat up and nodded.

"More spontaneous," she repeated. Gavin pulled her into him, kissing her for the first time.

"I don't want to be just your friend," he told her. "I love you."

It's something unpredictable, but in the end it's right.

She was surprised, but she kissed him back. And finally, it was time to go.

They walked back to where the rest of the group stood. Everyone was exchanging hugs and gifts. There were tears.

Everyone walked off in different directions. As they left, Gavin and Layla each turned back toward the beach.

"Goodbye," they whispered, only loud enough for them to hear themselves.

I hope you've had the time of your life.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yet another one-shot.

Lyrics from this song: Good Riddance (Time of Your Life) by Greenday

Amazing song! Hope you enjoyed reading! <3