Status: Just Getting Started

Serendipity

Un

July 26, 2007 Winnipeg, CAN


Some how my mother suckered me into coming to a charity event for disabled children, organized by one of her snobbier, I'm better than all of you, friends.

"Oh darling," Patricia, the better than everyone woman air kissed me, "I love your shoes."

"Thank you," I smiled before she began to talk to my mom. I wandered off to a table towards the front.

"Mom, what exactly are they auctioning off?" I asked, nodding toward the stage where chairs were lined up. I had a feeling I knew what it was.

My mom, Claire, smirked "Men, and there is actually one your age."

"Why would he do that to himself?" I teased.

"His mom is part of the reason this event is happening. She suckered him into."

"That makes sense."

"Yeah, he is a hockey player. I'm going to win him for you," she winked.

"No mom, you don't have to do that."

Patricia came over to our table asking if I could go backstage and help a few of the guys get ready.

The nineteen year old was easy to pick out from the bunch. He still had a little bit of awkwardness to him but he was cute. I watched as he fumbled with his tie. A few of the other guys chuckled at him as he continued to struggle with it.

"Cut it out," I finally stepped in, making my way over to him. Compared to my five foot- six stature in heels mind you, he was quite a bit taller than me,

"Let me help you with that."

He smiled, "Thanks."

"Have you ever tied one of these before?" I teased.

"Nope, my mom always did."

"Not even for prom?"

He shook his head, "Didn't go."

I smiled in return, "Me either."

"You would have been prom queen if you did."

"All set," I pulled the knot up, ignoring his comment even though it made me feel all fuzzy inside.

"Thanks again, I was getting a lot of shit from the other guys in here about this whole night."

"Well don't listen to them, I'm sure you will have the most bids."

"I hope you will be bidding for me," he smiled looking down at me.

Only now did I notice how deep brown his eyes were, "We'll see."

"I secretly hope the guys are right and nobody bids for me so you can win," he smirked.
"You are the most beautiful girl here."

Where did this confidence come from? "Your fate might be in my hands."
And with that I left, leaving him standing in front of the mirror, a smirk across my face.

"Mom do you think anyone will bid on number 19?" I asked as Patricia climbed up on stage.

"You want him don't you?"

I shrugged, "I was talking to him backstage."

She nodded, smiling. Patricia's obnoxious bling sparkled in the spotlight making it hard to look at her for more than three seconds, not that it was easy to look at her before.

"Please welcome to the stage Mr. Eric Johnson. Eric likes fishing, hunting, playing guitar and home cooked meals. If I do say so myself, he is your regular country man. We'll start the bidding at a $100."

A few peoples paddles shot up in the air. Eventually the bid ended at $375 and the next guy was brought out. He was classier, he had a sophisticated way about him but I wasn't paying much attention to anything about him. I had my eyes on number 19 as he looked some what nervous. He kept scanning the crowd, maybe looking for me? My mom kicked me under the table as another guy began to get auctioned off. I didn't have any interest in any of these guys. I did however feel bad for the one who only went for $200 considering the guy before him went for nearly a thousand.

"Next up we have Mr. Jonathan Toews. He is a soon to be center for the Chicago Blackhawks standing at six foot two inches. He is barely legal ladies so consider him for a daughter."

Right as Patricia finished my mom jumped up out of her seat, waving her paddle around. A few other ladies had there's up as well. Jonathan had his eyes locked on mine as the price kept increasing. Once it hit $500 only two people were left. My mom wasn't giving up.

"$650?" Patricia asked and the other girl sat down. "Sold to Claire."
Jonathan winked at me before taking his seat once again.

"You're welcome," she patted my hands.
So his name was Jonathan and he was a future NHL player huh? I like. All the bachelors exited the stage and found a place to sit as dinner was being brought out.

"Is dad going to get mad?" I asked, taking a bite of my chicken.

"Not at all, I told him it might get expensive."

I shook my head smiling, "You guys are crazy."

"It got you a date with an NHL player didn't it?"

"You act like we are getting married," I set my fork down taking a drink of the wine in front of me.

"Ya never know," she wagged her fork at me before slipping another piece of chicken into her mouth.

Except I did know. The only reason we were going on a date was because my mom paid for it. This was not the beginning of the end.
♠ ♠ ♠
This kind of just an introduction, sorry it's a little short but you get the idea of what it is going to be about. I got the idea from the movie Serendipity so a few things might be really similar.
Thank you for checking this out :)