A Step to Love

Friends Close and Enemies Closer

His expression seemed concerned once again.

“I know what you’re thinking, who am I to say such things, right?” He shook his head and bit his lip.

And he was right. “Alex...Brody and I aren’t anything.”

“...yet.”

“All right, yet. But even if we were, that’s none of your business.” I scoffed and then added, “You have no right to tell me who is right and who is wrong for me.”

He let out an amused yet uncomfortable laugh that held no humor. “Now you have an idea of what it feels like when you talk about Jenny and me.”

I stared in confusion.

“Jenny is a whole other case. She’s a slut that has a shallot for a brain. Brody is different.”

“You don’t know Brody like I do. He used to date Jenny.” Great.

I tried to hide my surprise by laughing. “And you gather the facts by judging on what she told you? Really, Alex, I may not him like you do, but you clearly don’t know Jenny like I do. I’m surprised she hasn’t cheated on you already. It usually takes her about a week or two and you guys have been together, for what? Two months? One?”

And gladly, I had hit him where I wanted to. His mouth was hanging open and his eyebrows were pulled together. He was shocked and disappointed, but now I didn’t know why. I just went with it and shook my head. “Pathetic.” I turned my heel and his hand grabbed my arm before I could make my escape.

I looked at his frowning face. “Jenny and I aren’t together anymore. She cheated on me the day I came with all of my clothes messed up. You know...the day you ditched school. I saw her with that jock named Peter and we had fight.”

I couldn’t help but to feel completely bad about what I’d just said.

I turned to face him completely and he loosened his hold a bit, but kept his hand on my arm. His skin was comfortably warm. Part of me wanted to jerk his hand off, but the deep, sweet, and caring part of me wanted to hug him as if he was some fragile little teddy bear.

“Alex, I didn’t come here to make you feel like shit or anything,” I said. “I came here to apologize for what had happened earlier in the afternoon. I didn’t mean by it, I just freaked out a bit, I guess.” Without even noticing it, I had taken his hand in mine.

My eyes widened liked they had before once he placed his other hand on my cheek.

But then he dropped it and placed it on my other arm. “Dude, I’m not going to do anything.” His taunting smirk made me giggle. “Anyway, thanks.”

I nodded. “You’re welcome.”

We stared at each other in silence and I felt his hands playing with mine and the gentle stroke of the back of his hand on my arm.

I open my mouth to protest.

It felt so uncomfortable being like this with him. I sometimes believed that the night kind of controlled people’s words and actions. I couldn’t explain it. It was like the night turned us wild and let us do thing we would never or could do.

For instance, some guy I had just met on Sasha’s seventeenth birthday party asked me to kiss him. It was around ten and I had been tired from a long day, so I almost did. Sasha saved me by calling me to open some presents with her. I didn’t want to, but I felt like I wasn’t in control—the night just led me to it.

Later, the guy called me to tell me he had been drunk and didn’t mean for it happen. But I already knew once I smelled the hint of liquor in his mouth.

Alex cut me off by placing his finger on top of my lips and then he brushed pieces of hair that were in my face. “What would you have done anyway?”

“What?”

He looked around and whispered, “If I had kissed you.” Then he added correcting himself, “Other than slap me that is.”

I laughed something natural this time.

“I—”

And his hand cupped my face again. I wanted to say that I didn’t know, but right now I didn’t know if I could even speak. The words weren’t coming out because my brain wasn’t functioning correctly.

What was wrong with me? I hated him.

He leaned closer ready to touch my lips and my brain was saying no—it wanted it all to stop, but everything was in slow motion and my body reacted by itself once again. It just stood there waiting for the pale lips to crush against mine.

Why hadn’t I realized before? He was so gorgeous. With his beautiful blue eyes that stared romantically at me. At least, I hope hadn’t imagined it.

He smiled at me. “Lilly...”

“What?”

Then his smile got wider. “I hate you,” he said laughing.

Good. He hated me. That was good and in a non-sarcastic way.

“I hate you, too.”

And then he was serious again. “But, I don’t want Brody to be your first kiss.” My breath got stuck. How did he know that?

Ok, so maybe I’ve had several (two) boyfriends in the past, but I never kissed them and it was because I always told them I wasn’t ready. Ridiculous, right? I didn't know what to do. What did people actually do when they kiss?

“U—uh,” I stuttered.

He laughed his charming laugh. “Lilly, to be completely honest—even though you already know this—I loath Brody and he’s really bad news, so don’t worry. I won’t put any emotions in it.”

What? “You’re going to kiss me?”

Oh, man. Breathe, Lilly. Breathe.

I took a deep breath before speaking again, but Alex cut me off. “Just think of it as a favor I’m asking.”

He took my face in both of his hand and I put mine on his waist. He gently pressed his lips against mine. My heart was pounding like crazy inside of chest and I knew it was going to hurt a lot later.

His lips were full of moisture, but not in the nasty-drool-kind-of-way. They were so soft and his smell was magical—just like the one in the bathroom; mint…and strawberries.

I inhaled deeply, memorizing this incredible moment. I felt like fainting—once again, my brain was out to lunch.

But sadly, it didn’t last too long. All he did was press his lips against mine and did not move them or something like that—like they do in those romantic movies.

He let his hand fall from my cheeks and whispered, “Just a favor,” he repeated. With that, he walked away and I was alone…again.