A Step to Love

Boys Are Boys

What the hell had just happened to me?

Alexander Marcus Rodriguez-House had just planted one on me and I…and I like it. I actually liked the fact that my worst enemy had kissed me and…I wanted him to do it again and again.

Note to self: Remember to slap myself later for ever thinking such a thing.

The cold and lonely breeze made me shiver and I ran my hands across my arms for warmth.

How in the world was I going to face everybody now? I could feel my face getting hotter just thinking about it.

Alex was already inside of the house and it was time for me to go.

Slowly, still taking all of this in, I walked to the back of the house. I could not enter the house from the front—it would be too embarrassing. I had to climb the tree that led to Brit’s window.

Hm, I took it as a challenge. But it became easy for me because I had my beat-up converse. After all, it was just dance. And dancing, plus heels, plus Lilly, equaled total disaster.

With both of my hands on the trunk and one foot on a branch, I made my way up.

Thankfully, Brit’s window was completely open and I could’ve sworn I had turned the lights off when I got out.

All of the sudden, I heard whispered giggles and my heart nearly stopped. I remember now. I had turned off the light.

The giggles started turning louder and louder—so close.

Oh, God.

Ghosts did not exist. Ghosts did not exist. Ghosts did not exist. They. Don’t. Exist.

But then, Brit and Joseph came through the bathroom’s door and to my misfortune, they were making out with their heavy breathing and tongues tangled.

They were so wrapped up in their business that they didn’t even notice I was standing right in front of them and...I was in front of the bed.

“Dudes! Get some space,” I grunted and Brit let out a scream.

Joseph just stared blankly at me, then, he said, “What do you think we are doing?”

“Whatever. Keep filling each other with slobber, but let me get my shirt”—I picked up my purple tank top from the bed—“I don’t want it to get stained.”

I let out a laugh when Brit threw her pillow at me. “Ew, you’re so gross.”

“I know,” I called over my shoulder and then closed the door behind me.

Outside of the room, I found a very good looking guy with bright blonde hair wearing a simple navy suit.

His brown eyes went from his left to my body. “Wow, Lilly, you look hot!”

As always, boys were just boys.

“Hi, Brody.” I raised an eyebrow at him pretending not to care, but he just looked so adorable in a tux.

I wasn’t going to lie to myself anymore. Next to Alex, Brody was just cute—Alex was gorgeous. But for me, I though that didn’t matter. I liked boys because of what was inside of them—because of their feelings—Brody and Alex weren’t on that list.

Brody seemed to understand it as something else. “Oh, I’m sorry. You look beautiful.”

Things like these were hard to ignore for me. He seemed somewhat sweet.

“Thank you,” I said linking my arm with his. “When are we leaving?”

He looked around searching for something as we made our way to the stairs. “Uh.” He paused. “When everyone’s ready, I guess.”

I raised both of my eyebrows this time. “Everyone? I thought you and I were going alone.”

He didn’t respond.

“As in 'I thought you and I were going to go in a different car—just the two of us'.”

“Ooh, well no.” He shrugged and shot a glance at a blonde that was next to Alex. She wore a simple white pleated a-line dress, but had accessories for three people. She had around twenty-five silver bracelets in each arm. “See, I promised I’d take my best friend with us, too.”

Wow. “Aw, that’s so sweet.”

He, on the other hand, didn’t look too convinced. “Yeah, I guess so.”

Brody and I walked together to his Toyota Venza V6—can’t blame a girl for knowing about cars. Alex and the blonde were behind us.

I looked over my shoulder to take a peek at the blonde—great! It was Jenny.

“I thought you said you were taking your best friend,” I whispered in Brody’s ear so only he could hear.

“She is my best friend, Lilly,” he whispered back.

“Oh.” “You don’t know Brody like I do. He used to date Jenny.”

I looked over again and smiled at Alex. I thought they broke up. I was definitely asking Alex about that later.

...not that I cared.