A Step to Love

Accomplishment

Right after checking and re-checking our new schedules, Brittany and I headed to our lockers to bring in our new books and whatnot. “It’s been three years and they still haven’t cleaned these lockers,” I commented checking on the dust I was whipping off with a wet paper towel.

“I know, so filthy.”

I took my small towel and threw it over a trashcan that was near. I noticed how the hallways were completely empty. I turned back to my locker, feeling the soft fabric of my jeans as I swayed. “Brit?”

“Yeah?”

“What did you guys do this summer?” I asked, leaning against my locker.

“We stayed up in California.” She shrugged. “We rented some movies, went to the beach, that stuff.”

I pursed my lips. “Nothing interesting happened?”

I could feel her tensing up at the question. “Like?”

I smiled, reaching my backpack and pulling out my books. “Jo—”

Brit laughed, before I finished. “No, he still sees my feelings for him as something invisible.”

“So there was really no fun involved?”

“Yes. I mean, we had a good time. There were mosquitoes everywhere, though,” she said, dramatically. Brit was such a Barbie doll, it was cute. I mean, the girl only wore pink.

I laughed at her comment before closing the door of my locker.

~*~*~*~*~

Being late, in Mr. Rosado’s book, was the worst thing that one could do on the first day of school.

After Mr. Rosado’s speech about why being late is bad, Brit and I sat in a chair and started listening to the class. He handed out our first assignment of the year: a paragraph that was extended onto two pages of pure Spanish. I was already dreading this boredom. We had to translate it back to English.

These tests were simply ridiculous. They only used them just to see how much we knew. Nevertheless, this was one of those times I thanked my mom for being Latina.

“This reeks,” a guy mumbled from behind me after a few minutes.

“Do you have something you’d like to share with the rest class, Mr. Smith?” the teacher asked him. He was waltzing around checking everyone’s work. He stopped right next to me, facing the guy.

“No,” he replied almost whispering.

“Good,” Mr. Rosado replied, nodding. “Yeah, Miss?” he asked as I raised my hand, slowly.

“I’m finished with the assignment,” I whispered.

“And you are?” he asked me and studied my face for a moment “Oh, right… Lilly.” He took the assignment from my hands and walked toward his desk mumbling “good job” under his breath.

“Nerd.”

I sighed, turning around. “Shut it, Joe.” Nerd. It was always the same thing.

I hated being called what I was certainly not. Responsibility is the word, thank you.

“Just saying.” He smiled mockingly. “Help me out?”

I scoffed. “Without getting credit? No, thanks.”

I turned hearing “meanie” escape his lips. My gaze turned to Brit who was devouring her paper. She didn’t seem frustrated or anything related to it. She seemed quite the opposite; relaxed.

I heard the teacher sigh from behind his desk. Right after, he told me to wait after the class was over. He said he needed to say a few words, which led me to think the worst.

That also meant I was going to be late for the next class. Great.

“Lilly?” He stepped away from his chair and turned, only to sit on his desk. “We have to hurry because I have another class coming up.”

I nodded holding on to my backpack.

“I’ve been teaching here for a couple of years now, you know that.” I nodded again. “Your grades, Lilly. They’re really remarkable.”

I blushed. “Well, I try hard.”

“I see…” He smiled. “The teachers, myself included, were talking about you and we decided to give you an option.”

“About?”

“Skipping a grade.”

I backed out, blinking. I was really thrilled and happy, smiling at him as I told him I was actually thinking about it. But really, there was not much to think. I just needed my friends opinion’s first.

“Great. Let me know as soon as you can,” he said giving me a light smile and walking toward his desk to wait for the next group.