A Step to Love

Meltdown

I was home at exactly 10:45pm and I was nowhere near exhausted. Almost as if I had taken a can of Redbull and I knew I was annoying everybody else (Alex and Jenny). Brody didn’t seem to mind as the giggles came and went whenever they pleased. He just grinned at me.

He opened the door for me and led me to the front door.

Alex gave Jenny a quick smile before nearly running inside the house. The fact that Jenny was going to be alone with Brody didn’t really excite me.

Finally alone, in the doorstep with him, I stretched up my toes and placed a light kiss on his lips. The dude was around six feet tall and I felt like an elf next to him. I wasn’t complaining, though. I liked the fact that he was big.

He held my face in his hands just before wrapping my stomach. His lips went to my ear and as always, the chills fought whenever somebody whispered that closely. “I hope you had fun today, but let’s not consider it our first official date.” I nodded and he kissed my forehead. “Goodnight, Lils.” He was still whispering.

“’Night,” I said as his car disappeared behind the block.

And the moment had come.

It was my time to break down and shed tears.

I ran as fast as I could through the living room and up the stairs.

There was only one person that would tell me the truth right in the face even if it hurt me and that person was at the third door on the right.

“Jake!” I sobbed as I slammed my head against his chest. He immediately let out a surprised gasp; I had caught him in his sleep.

“Lilly! Fucking shit, you scared me!”

“I’m sorry!” I kept on sobbing. “I—I”—I paused to take a deep breath and lifted my chin to see his hazel gaze. “I’m confused.”

He put his arms around my waist and sighed. “Why?”

“…Because I like your brother and Brody.”

I didn’t have to see to know he had blinked in surprise. There was no doubt in my mind that he was expecting me to tell him this—everyone in the house expected me to say those words. I knew he was surprised to finally hear me admit them.

“Wait, Brody?” He paused. “Ew, dude.”

I nodded while I tried to clean my wet cheeks with his shirt, but then noticed his chest was bare.

I felt his fingers run through my hair as he spoke his next words. “Well, tell me, what happened? Did you tell them or something?”

I shook my head. “No.” And then sniffled. I didn’t really think what I was going to say next. Some things just tended to slip out. “Brody asked me to be with him and I said ‘yes’, but then I realized I had strong feelings for Alex when I remember how he kissed me.” I paused to take another shaky breath. “And now I don’t know what to do.”

“Well, I can’t tell you what to do.”

“But—”

“No buts, Lilly. Who do you like the most?”

I sobbed again. “I don’t know!”

His chest lifted as he took another sigh. “I’ll let you rest here for the night." He paused. "I don't think seeing Alex like this will help in the slightest.”

“I’m sorry,” I whispered.

“Don’t apologize,” he said chuckling then took his quilt to wrap both of us. “Good night, Lilly."

I closed my eyes and let the dreams take over.