A Step to Love

Virginia Departure

I lifted my head, stretched it, then the rest of my body. There was an empty space beside me, and I assumed it was almost time to leave. This short summer vacation had been…cool. Brit had the time of her life. It was one of the things I wanted.

Much to my dismay, she and Joe were together again, but at least that made her happy… I wasn’t going to ruin it for her by talking to him. Though I wanted to, but I wasn’t meddling in. She was almost seventeen years old, and I only hoped she knew exactly what she was doing. I mean, a boyfriend that refuses a part of you isn’t that forgivable. Or maybe I am exaggerating, not sure. But, come on, calling her “a lousy girlfriend and immature”?

I now stretched my hand toward the bedside table to get my cell phone, smiling at a message I had just received from Brody.

I love you,” it was all it said.

“Brody’s dangerous, even more dangerous than two Jennys.”

I shook my head. No… Brody wasn’t dangerous. I knew Brody. I knew Richard Broden Evans. I had spent almost ten months with Brody, learning everything about him. I knew Brody more than Alex did, so Alex couldn’t say Brody was something Brody wasn’t.

And there I went again, arguing in my mind with Alex because of Brody. I seriously needed to stop that. I seriously needed to stop doing a lot of things.

I replied back with, Me too, can’t wait to see you on Thursday. It was Monday, 30th of June, and the truth was I was on my way to buy him a present, and then surprise him the day of his birthday, which was on Wednesday.

I made up the excuse we couldn’t be there earlier, just to surprise him. …I was just a cheap and unoriginal romantic.

There was a knock on the door, and seconds later, Brit’s head popped out from the door frame. “We’re leaving in an hour or so. Breakfast is downstairs if you want some.”

I nodded. “I’ll be there in a second.” Thank God I had packed everything up yesterday.

My feet kicked to the left on the bed and found my shoes. I got up and walked to bathroom where I brushed my teeth and fix up my hair. Then, I took a white shirt with some green trousers I had taken out last night, to put them on. After it, I took my pajamas and stuffed them somewhere inside my suitcase.

My breakfast was short and small, just the way I liked them.

The suitcases were packed into Jake’s van, which Alex was driving…again.

I really wanted a little time to talk to Alex since every time we did try and talk during our mini-vacation, someone would break in and steal him away.

This time I was riding in the very back of the van, once again, next to Gabriel while having Joe and Brit making out in front. I just knew how much I was going to dread the next six hours and fifty minutes toward home.