A Step to Love

His Truth

“Lils, that’s one heavy accusation,” Alex said before anything else. “I know he’s a disaster and al—”

Alex was interrupted by the same thing that left me completely speechless.

I wanted to gasp again, as he didn’t respond. Brody wasn’t reacting to anything.

We stood there staring at each other for what seemed like hours, and hours. The three of us were all thinking under the rain that didn’t seem to get any hotter. I finally cracked, in panic. “I’m calling the police.”

I walked toward the living room and hit the sliding door that led me to the sofa. I knew Alex and Brody were both behind me.

I felt like I couldn’t even breathe from the intoxicating news. This was just all too much, way too much.

“Lilly,” I heard Brody talk, and out pure instinct I grabbed my diary from under my pillow and threw it at him.

“Get the hell away from me!” I yelled, clutching my cell phone. “You killed my best friend! You killed her, and I thought you were just there, in her funeral, to pay your respects.”

Alex sighed and ran a head through his head, while Brody picked up the diary and set in the corner of the sofa. “I don’t mean to sound unsure or even doubt you, but, how are you sure he did?”

I pointed at Brody. “Look at him, Alex! He’s not denying it.” I looked at Brody and stepped closer bring his face to mine with the tips of my fingers. “Did you…kill Sasha?”

“What?” It was Brit. I didn’t notice she was still around the area. “What did you just say?”

But still Brody didn’t reply to my question. He backed out his face from my hand, making his shiny blonde hair separate some water that formed tiny drops.

Brit stood next to me, staring at the scene. “What’s going on? Did I hear right?”

I decided it was best to ignore her. “Brody…”

His jaw tightened. “I did.”

And in that second, in those two words, my heart shattered.