A Step to Love

I Won't

There was the ringing of the phone coming from the office. The hallways were completely deserted. I didn’t remember anybody saying there wasn’t any school today. Was I early? I checked the hour in my cell phone and it said it was 7:47am. I wasn’t late, so where were the students and teachers?

I knocked the office’s door, but there was no response, so I let myself in.

The lights were off, but there was a certain clarity coming from the semi-closed window. There was someone in the principal’s chair.

“H-he-hello?” I struggled trying to get the words out.

There was again no response. I quickly turned on the light and closed my eyes at the same time. There was no sound once again, and I opened my eyes slowly, when I did, there was something worse.

Alex was sitting, arms crossed on the principal’s chair. The sunlight was hitting half his face, and his blue eyes looked extremely…shocking. His lips looked paler than usual and his black hair looked smoother. Then I noticed something strange in his face; he was smiling.

“Hello there, Lillian,” he said in a devilish tone. He got up from the chair and approached slowly.

I sighed and smiled. “Oh, you scared me. I thought you were some kind of creep that got in the school to steal or something like that.” He smiled back and kept walking towards me. “So…eh, y-yea,” I started stuttering and backing away slowly. “Wh-where are the o-other people?”

When I couldn’t back away anymore, his face slowly approached my ear and he whispered something I couldn’t understand followed by a “run.” His head backed away slowly from mine and his grin turned bigger. My eyes widened from the shock when I saw the sudden transformation in Alex’s face.

His eyes turned green with purple spots all over it. In his forehead there were three red spiral horns. When he smiled, you could notice his sharp fangs. His whole body was wrinkled and full of scales. His arms were muscular and his nails were long and rusty.

It was horrible and I couldn’t help but to scream. Even if it was meaningless, I punched him straight in the face and opened the door as fast as I could. I entered the hallways and ran towards the exit.

“Lilly, come back here!” Alex yelled while running behind me.

When I reached the door, I quickly turned the doorknob, but didn’t expect a bucket of cold water fall down on me.


I screamed as loud as I could, but then I stopped when I realized it was just a dream. I noticed my mother was holding a bottle on her hands.

“Are you okay, Lilly?”

I sighed and said in a cold tone, “I don’t know, mom. You just threw cold water at me.”

“Don’t speak to me like that,” she said raising her tone.

I didn’t want to argue right now, I just asked her to leave so I could get ready for school.

~*~*~*~*~

“I can’t believe you even dreamt about him.” Joe laughed and I rolled my eyes. Apparently I fell asleep in the middle of the movie and Alex had to take me home and carry me to my room, because the other guys were too busy to do it.

“It was a little odd since instead of being a good dream, because he did a good thing, more or less, it actually turned to be a horrible dream.”

“Oh.”

I laughed just imagining the idea he had on his mind. “What? You thought he was going to kiss me or something?”

He only smirked. “No, I actually thought you kissed him in your dream.”

My smile faded away immediately and I smacked the back of his head. “Shut up. He’s an idiot, he’s gross and I will never in my life dream of something as disgusting as that, thank you.”

“If you say so,” he sang joyfully and ran away from me.

“I won’t,” I promised myself and started looking for Alex to see the schedule we will share for the entire year. Joy!

~*~*~*~*~

After verifying the schedule with him, I copied the information I needed. We had French class at 8:00am and after it, we had Science.

I had to walk with Alex by my side, since I pretty much get lost every time, but I wasn’t enjoying the awkwardness at all.

The day seemed somewhat weird and boring. I met a lot of people, but they didn’t seem to be so excited to get to know the New Kid. I didn’t know if it was something I did or something I said.

Once I finished my last class; gym, I went to take a nice cold shower and then I separated my belongings once again, so I could go home, but something stopped me from continuing.

Alex was pinned against the wall and a blonde haired girl just about my height, maybe a little bit taller, was all over him. From where I stood she looked somewhat…pretty, but when she turned around, I regretted ever thinking of something as ridiculous as that.

It was Jenny. She was what we would call a 'whore'–slept with almost every guy and apparently she was Alex’s girlfriend–which surprised me,. But I didn’t mind…or at least tried not to.

Actually, it was kind of all right. They made the cutest couple of ignorants, evil psychopaths, doo doo heads, stup—

“Are you okay?” Brittany asked interrupting my thoughts.

“Fine,” I replied coldly and my jaw tightened. Did they even allow that behavior in school?