A Step to Love

Keep Overanalyzing, Stop

I had just gotten off the phone with Brody’s mother. I explained the situation slowly and calmly, and surprisingly, she understood every bit of it. Before hanging up she apologized on her son’s behalf and I told her it was all right. It wasn’t her fault, anyway. I just asked her to take the mare back, since I truly wanted no part of him, and I was dropping by in a few days to give her the gold kitty bracelet Brody had given me for Christmas.

There were eleven days until The Recital. I was still thinking about it.

I was writing down in my diary all of my feelings and thinking of at least five reasons why I should give Alex a chance. Gosh, this just kept getting—I was trying to bounce on the fact that almost two weeks ago, Brody happened and there wasn’t enough time for a formal relationship, I thought.

But like I said, I did want the experience. I liked Alex.

You like him. I said I did and I believed it was true, I had just realized. We were confused before—I didn’t know which way to go. He wanted to be with me, but I didn’t know if I could. I wanted to.

You should give him a chance because he’s different. And I think he proved he definitely was. My first boyfriend was Chris; he was simple. He liked to paint, and I liked to hang out and watch his paintings. That was just it. We never showed any real affection. Quite frankly, I didn’t think he’d mind until he told me—we “broke up”.

And my second one, Patrick, well, he used to study in the same school. We got together when I was in the seventh grade, he was a sophomore. Only several months later we tore the relationship apart because he was simply busy.

Then there’s Brody, but there was no need for a further explanation.

Alexander—he was different somehow. He’s not afraid of telling me the truth, of talking about it. The way he might’ve been with Jenny was my real worry. I just fought the idea because I didn’t think he pressured people into doing things they didn’t want to.

Overall, he knew what he wanted in the future. Alex actually had his head set on straight in that concept. It was clear his intentions were firm, and quite sweet (considering where his motive came from).

There was something about him that set me shivering inside. He was gorgeous; we’re clear on that. The way he would smile made me feel all right. It was breathtaking. I didn’t care much about his body, even though it was to die for. He was just like a mini-version of his own father. His hair that rested perfectly above his face, covering half of it, always looked straightened, shiny and smooth. …And his eyes. Every time his hair got pushed back, it would reveal a perfect pearly face that was still deciding whether to be in the shape of a square or a diamond, and it always held those beautiful sapphires that secretly got me trapped over the years. It wasn’t only the color, the shape of his eyes were simply adorable, resting between long black lashes.

Gosh, the way he would talk, the way he would bite his lip, the sound of his masculine laughter, the way he would dance without looking like a woman—all of those things and much more that I couldn’t think about for the moment and that I truly wanted to discover. Like how he treated a girl, his complete romantic side, his fears…

“You’re single,” I heard my mind say.

“Plus he’s cute.”

I felt a voice behind me, and apologized my over thinking scalp. Without noticing it, there were two frames staring behind me, smiling at the ridiculous verses I pressed with my pen. I closed my diary, my cheeks getting embarrassed.

“Brit! Nana!”

They both laughed pulling their heads back. “It was about time you would notice,” Nana said in her grandmotherly voice taking a piece of fabric that she then folded. She placed it next to a pile of fabrics over the table.

I couldn’t find not even a word to explain how utterly embarrassed I felt about my thoughts being shared with somebody else.

Thankfully, Pat didn’t give them or me a chance to say something else.

“Lilly,” Pat called. I turned my sight over the sofa. Even though it was not my bed, it was still a perfect thinking-spot. She didn’t look to happy as she walked toward me and handed me the phone. “You have a phone call.”

I pushed my eyebrows. I almost never get phone calls from the house. “From?”

“Nancy Scowl.” I gasped. “Well, her assistant, actually.” I felt Brit and Nana shift and walk away. Pat did the same after fighting a long frown. I stepped away and walked toward the fountain, sitting in one of the benches.

“H-hello?”

Lillian Parker?” a young woman asked over the other end. Well, she sounded young to me.

“Lilly,” I corrected.

This is Megan Lancaster, from Social Services? I’m Nancy Scowl’s assistant and I am here to talk to you about your case. You know who Nancy Scowl is?

“The officer told Pat she was in charge of ‘cases like these’,” I whispered. It had been almost a year they said they were going to look into my case. It had been almost a year since the officer said he was going to call in. So many things had happened, I had forgotten about this.

Pat?

“The person who’s in charge of me, at the moment.”

I heard her laugh. “The woman I talked with before?” I replied, answering her question. “Well, I received a call from somebody claiming to be a member.

A member? “Named?”

Delilah Barlow-Parker. Do you know who this person is?” I had told her about the incident, hence the reason why she didn’t come during Christmas, afraid of showing up at Pat’s house. Did not understand her reasons at all, she didn’t explain them to me, anyway.

I nodded, though she couldn’t see. “Yes, she’s my aunt.”

I felt her smile between her next lines. “I was just checking with you first. I wanted to see your relationship with her. I like to get into the people I’m working with before making any decisions.” Why didn’t she just over what she wanted to say? “Y—

But I smiled a greater smile than usual. “She’s taking me?” It was better to stay with my aunt than with a strange family I did not know anything of.

I was about to proceed.” I apologized softly. “It’s quite all right. Eh, the judge decided to take Mrs. Barlow-Parker’s option very carefully. That is why we took some time making decisions and I won’t bother you with any explanations.” I heard Ms. Lancaster pause. “But the papers are done—just call your aunt and I hope you have a happy ending.

I grinned. “Thank you.” And instant later she said her goodbyes and I hung up.

“You’re almost eighteen; we thought we should let you know,” Ms. Lancaster said, before disappearing from the line.

I felt ecstatic to know that my aunt was going to take care of me.

Though, we all knew I preferred staying with Brit and Pat and Nana and George and Jake…

And Alex.

I frowned. I was going to miss them, so…

Until the call from the nurse. Still wasn’t expecting it any time soon. But, I tried not to look so disappointed, I mean, it would be just like when I used to live with my mother.

Only… How could I have forgotten about that?

My Aunt Delilah Barlow-Parker, she lived in Florida.

This cannot be happening.