A Step to Love

First Detention

My eyes looked sideways. It was after school and I was sitting in the English classroom along with some students who didn’t hand in the biography and with some other students who had been here for something else. Like me.

This was Detention. My first detention.

I shuddered.

And on my last year, nonetheless.

I was in detention for texting during class. Was that a ridiculous reason? Brit thought so when I told her (correction: yelled at her) in lunch.

There were some girls silently chattering about an upcoming movie named Twilight or some sort and I couldn’t help but to feel slightly annoyed. How could they feel so calm and collected about everything? I wondered how they got their stinking detention. For talking about love? Boy bands? I don’t know. Maybe they were trying to avoid feeling nervous by panting erratically about men?

On the other hand, there was always the typical bad-boy staring at the ceiling without caring that the teacher was right in his face yelling at how irresponsible and idiotic his attitude actually is.

Men, what a jerk.

Though, Mr. Roberts wasn’t exactly an easy-handsome-teacher to deal with. He was always so…dull and full of regret. Like Sasha would say, “ridin' upside down”. I swear, even when he sat down and started grading papers I could feel the tension surrounding us.

He erased the unprofessional image of his forehead for a second and straightened his back. He was extremely silent for somebody who had recently finished a tantrum-fit-whatever towards a student. Maybe he was bip—

Seriously, not everyone is bipolar in this universe, Lilly.

He could’ve been embarrassed perhaps. I would’ve if I had just noticed every other student was staring in my worst moment.

The students who hadn’t done the assignment were doing that now (right after they finished staring for a minute or so, of course). They got the chance to leave once they finished it, but the unlucky ones (including me) had to wait for other directions.

Finally, Mr. Robert’s gaze met mine and I saw his lips form my name.

I walked up to him and for an instant all I could do was gawk at his manly features. The length of his neck…the color of his eyes…the lashes that held them…his strong unique bone structure. Oh, he was gorgeous, all right.

I kept seeing his lips move. “Kiss me.”

I stepped back. “What?”

A blonde brow made its way up. “I said ‘you’re dismissed’.” That surely sounded nothing like what I thought it did.

It took a while for me to come back to my senses, but once I understood the whole context of it, I simply nodded and started to back away.

I stopped myself from passing the door. “Wait, what about my punishment?”

His frame became young and playful. “I’ll think of something soon enough.”

“Come again?”

Mr. Roberts was back to his professional form. “I said ‘tomorrow I’ll make something up.’ I’m completely busy at the moment. Lillian, you should seriously consider some medical help. You’re hearing is a tad defective.”

I was pretty sure this was going to be problem. A big one.
♠ ♠ ♠
Year. 2008.