A Step to Love

Spilling Confusions

“Had a fun month?”

She smiled devilishly. “Oh, yeah, I specially loved seeing Brody behind bars. You made Brody fall for you and all I ever did was try and win him back.”

“I—”

“You talk about being selfish and whatnot? You don’t even look at yourself.” She swirled her hair and hit me in the face with it.


My mind went blank, and I tried my hardest not to faint. She was there holding his blonde figure. He leaned in, carefully, pushing with a hand a strand of her hair before kissing her lightly on the lips.

I felt a hot dog I had eaten a couple of minutes ago rise up from my esophagus.

From the corner of my eye, Alex leaned and I turned, without thinking. I kissed him slightly seconds before it came up.

I widened my eyes and turned my head to the side to push out the rest of the meat with a grunt. I fell on my knees, puking my guts out. I breathed heavily from my reaction.

I felt light-headed. What the fuck had just happened? And what had I just done?

I heard Alex cough from my side, and all I could ever think again was that maybe he would see them. And of course, the fact that I had utterly embarrassed myself once again. I moaned his name, feeling more than exhausted. God, my head was spinning with confusion and I swore I could feel sweat surrounding my forehead.

“Annie, sweetie…” he whispered and started patting back softly. “I’m not that bad of a kisser,” he joked. I turned to him, raising an eyebrow.

“You’ve just chosen the wrong moment for that.”

He chuckled lowly. “Let me help you.” He took my right arm and wrapped it over his neck and carried me to my feet. “Maybe it was a bad idea to eat before riding the bumper cars.”

I wanted to tell him that riding the tiny cars had nothing to do with me puking, but then I thought it would be best to leave it at that.

Alex was about to turn to where the darts where, but I reminded myself that that was not an option. I pushed him quickly, making us go the opposite direction. No way did I want to see them, even when I was full of question for both. Like: how did you get out of jail, Brody? How have you been? Jenny, what the fuck are you doing with him after so much? Are you stupid? No offense, Brody.

We walked a few steps before Alex suddenly realized my intention. “Lils, the parking lot is that way.”

“I know. I just want to freshen up.” I had already thought of the perfect excuse.

He nodded and led me to a tiny, dirty and pee-stinking green bench and I sat. The stench was making my head hurt like hell. I grabbed my purse and proceeded to look for my small bottle of mouthwash I always had.

You never know…

And I thanked myself for remembering to bring it. I popped some of the liquid in my mouth, shook it between my glands and tongue for thirty seconds before throwing it up in the trashcan next to the bench. I did it three times. My tears began to fall from my cheeks from the intensity.

I stretched my hand and offered Alex some.

He took it. “Good call,” he commented and I gave him an approving grin.

I sat once again and waited a couple of seconds. When Alex began looking somewhere other than me, I looked up. Discreetly…

The blondes had disappeared from the darts to the water-shooting thingies. Their backs were on us and I leaned back to look at Alex and grabbing his hand.

We were home on time (following my aunt’s specifications). Alex didn’t ask me about why we ran to the parking lot or why I looked like a complete psycho looking behind ourselves every five seconds. He just followed me, entered his car and drove me home.

I did not want to risk my aunt’s confidence. It was maybe too soon, so I didn’t ask Alex to stay with me that night, even though the only thing I wanted to do was be next to him. I needed at least a bit comfort before doing the obvious and stupid.

I definitely needed to talk the Jennifer. Man, I am way over my head.

The next day I tried.

Seven times to be exact.

But in the middle of it, people called me to talk, Mr. Walberg called me into his office by accident and apologized after, classes came and went, Jenny was talking to other people and I definitely wanted to do this just the two of us.

I did not need people talking this around school.

“What should I get Brit for her birthday?”

I shifted my gaze from Jenny reaching her locker to a desperate Joseph. I felt like Jenny’s stalker or something.

“I thought you broke up.”

“Yeah, but…” he didn’t finish. He must’ve realized I knew. But he didn’t have to be surprised; I knew everything about Brit. Well…, except the reason why they broke up, but I was pretty sure I was going to find out soon enough.

“You still want to be her friend?” I guessed and he nodded like I had expected him to.

“Don’t be mad at me or anything. Nothing bad happened,” Joe said.

“I won’t meddle.” I smiled to him. “She appreciates hand-made gifts more than shop-gifts.”

His lips curved before running to wherever his little body wanted to carry him. His hair swung from side to side as he turned right, making him look like a little kid.

My head shifted to Jenny’s blonde hair again. She finished closing her locker as the second bell from three o’ clock rung and walked next to my side. I stopped her by calling her name.

She didn’t respond, she just glared there. “I need to ask you a question.” She waited, pulling onto her hip with a bounce. “Were you at the amusement park last night?” I asked bluntly.

“H—no. Why?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you for the patience.