Le Monde a Bien Changé

Asteur, cer pu pareil.

"Marie! You're going to love your new dress! Mom finished sewing it last night!" My sister, Charlotte, told me. I was very excited for my wedding. I was going to marry Louis Gallant, the son of a very famous farmer in our village. It had been the second Sunday in a row that our marriage was announced at Church.

Last week, English soldiers came to our house and asked me to sign the Sermon of Allegiance. If I didn't, they would take nasty measures at hand. They left after I told them my father wasn't home.

I didn't worry about it too much because Louis told me that they were only trying to scare me. I was still a bit frightened, but Louis knows how to reassure me.

The next week...

I was finally married to Louis Gallant. We were to live in a small house near both our parents. We had a little farm and enough to live peacefully. I was pregnant with our first child, and I decided to begin teaching younger girls in my village how to sew, cook and clean. I had nothing better to do with my days than that.

A couple days later, all throughout the village, the men were called to the Church for a village meeting. This seemed normal, since all men went to the Church for village meetings every few months. I had my doubts, since the English soldiers were in town. Things were not as normal as they seemed.

A knock at the door surprised me. I opened it to reveal two British soldiers.

"Miss, we need you to pack some of your belongings and come with us. Does your husband have any weapons?" The little English I knew helped me decipher what he was saying.
"Non, Louis has only a small handgun on lui. Where are you taking me?" I asked, as they searched the house.

When they found out I was lying about the handgun, they slapped me. Urging me to go faster, they broke many things in the house. I feared for my life.

As I finished packing, they brought me to the beach. They told me my husband would find me with the help of the British Soldiers. Charlotte, my sister, was running towards me.

"They took maman! Please Marie, help me find her." Tears filled both our eyes as we realized what was happening. They were deporting us. From our land! Our nation! Our freedom!

Charlotte told me they locked all the men in the Church. I don't think Louis would find me in time. The British soldiers were taking us to small sloop. I didn't want to get on without Louis!

I fought my way through the English soldiers, running towards the Church. Horror and terror filled me when I saw it was on fire. I couldn't believe it. They were deporting us from our land...and killing our husbands, fathers, brothers and grand fathers.

"...Marie. Come on! We must stick together." Charlotte said, a British soldier grabbing me by the hair. I screamed...

The last thing I remember, was the smell of the sea and a long boat voyage...
♠ ♠ ♠
;) Acadian deportation. I decided to write some of my country's history, instead of another country. Besides, it's important to remember your history so it doesn't repeat itself.