Status: One-shot, completed.

Butterfly my Heart

1/1

The day the Toronto Maple Leafs won the Stanley Cup was a momentous one. The entire city celebrated, as did a good portion of other places around the world. Habs fans drunk some more, upset after another year in the bottom of the league. The Marlies celebrated, the families and friends of the players celebrated, Brian Burke celebrated, finally seeing some success come from his product he had worked so hard to build. Fans of the team around the world sobbed with joy of breaking their Cup drought. But, they weren’t even the happiest people at the win, no. If you looked closer, closer, right on to that ice surface, you could see James Reimer. He was currently holding one side of the Conn Smythe while Gary Bettman held the other. Bettman was a little weasel and James knew it, but he was so happy he didn’t make a homicide attempt. He just continued to smile that beautiful grin that Leafs Nation had become so accustomed to over all his years of success.

At this point, Gary made another speech, and soon enough, the Cup was handed to Dion Phaneuf, the captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs. He passed it around player by player. Soon enough, Lupul passed it to his buddy, the back-up goalie, Ben Scrivens. Ben seemed so happy and ecstatic to be holding the Stanley Cup that he didn’t even realize it was time to pass it on. He made a move to pass it to the player closest to him, which just so happened to be James. As they exchanged the precious trophy, their hands brushed and Ben wanted to cry. Even though James was his boyfriend, on the inside, he was a pretty severe fan. He idolized James as his mentor, his best friend and his boyfriend. He saw James kiss the Cup and instantly wished it was him. James passed the Cup on and the team continued to celebrate.

James caught Ben staring at his flawless face, so he skated over to give the back-up goalie a hug. When they hugged, everyone in the Air Canada Centre could feel the sexual tension between them and kind of wished they would get it on right there, but, obviously they didn’t. Reimer is a good Christian boy after all.

They took the team picture, and then the couple went home to prepare for the huge parade that would happen the next day. They walked in the door and were greeted by their puppy, Photoshop. This really excited Ben because sometimes he looks like a puppy. James was excited but only because he now had a Cup, a Conn Smythe, after the awards he would have a Vezina, and obviously everyone knows that after next year he would have a gold medal as well. At least that’s what Ben always told him. James put his Conn Smythe on the kitchen table to admire it. He looked at the intricate details and the names of all the players who came before him. He stopped on one familiar name. Cam Ward. Current goalie for the Carolina Hurricanes and former goalie for the Red Deer Rebels of the Western Hockey League, the same team James used to play for. It warmed the heart of the young netminder that he had been given such an amazing chance. If Coach Sutter had never gone out on a limb to draft him into the WHL, well… who knows where he would have been? He looked up to Cam, trying his best to follow in his footsteps. He’s done a good job of it so far. He had been a breakout rookie who struggled in his next few years, but did eventually bounce back. Now he had exactly what Cam did – a Cup and a Conn Smythe.

Ben noticed James’ seriousness while staring at the award and went to join him at the table.

“Hey,” Ben said softly, taking the seat next to James and placing a hand on his leg.

“Hey,” James responded while flashing that god damn perfect smile at his lover.

“So… how does it feel being a Conn Smythe winner?” Ben asked.

“I love it,” Another megawatt smile.

“I love you,” and just like that, Ben had said the words he had always feared to say, even to his ex-fiancee. But James was different. James was his soulmate. They were meant to be together ever since they first met in Marlies training camp all those years ago.

“I love you, too,” James responded. They kissed and voila, a perfect couple.